“An amazing 6 days”

SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Choeng Mon
Reviewed July 16, 2014

My Wife and I had 2 nights in Bangkok and 6 nights at Sala, we both really wish we had went straight to Sala.

The resort had a Zen like calm across the whole property. the staff were fantastic at all times, so friendly and helpful, they couldnt do enough for you. The quality of the food was brilliant at any time of the day.

We stayed at a Sala Pool villa, it was amazing, your private pool with sun loungers and day bed allowed us to relax in the privacy of our own garden after breakfast.

The 2 daily happy hours was a great touch and certainly made us late for dinner on more than one occassion. We will definitely be back Sala, Koh Samui, and recommended it to a number of our friends.

I can honestly say it was one of the most relaxing and well presented resorts we have ever visisted.

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 29 and got the sun all day at our private pool.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David B
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear "Daniel B",

Thank you very much for your positive revierw of SALA Samui, and we are happy to read that "6 days was not enough"..., - we would be delighted to welcome you back on a future stay !
If you would like to give Bangkok another try, I can recommend you sala rattanakosin, our sister property in the the heart of the old city, overlooking the Wat Arun temple, on the shores of the river, and "wall to wall" with the Royal Palace, -a delightful experience.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a fantastic 10 day stay at Sala, so much so that we really didn't want to leave.

Our flight from the UK landed around 09:00, I was unsure about going straight to the hotel as I knew that check-in wasn't until 16:00 but we were so tired from the long flight we took the 15 minute taxi ride there anyway (even if we would have to sit at reception until our room was ready). It turns out I had nothing to worry about as the lovely front desk staff checked us in straight away and we were given our welcome drink and were personally greeted by the manager Dick.

Room:
After checking in we were taken for a tour to our room, where we were shown how to use the safe, were told about the different choices of pillows/soap and were given complimentary lychees and dried fruit and nuts (which were replenished daily). We booked a deluxe balcony room (without the private pool as we knew we would be more likely to use the resort pools anyway). The room was perfect; with a large bed, flat screen tv (with satellite channels), desk, chair and mini bar (charges apply). Adjacent to the bedroom, separated by a large glass rotating door, is the bathroom where there is a large circular bath and rainfall shower. The wardrobe is also here with ample hanging space and drawers. Separated from the bathroom by a curtain is the balcony which holds a large day bed, perfect for lounging on in the evenings.

Housekeeping came twice daily, once in the morning and then once for turn down in the evening. During turn down the mosquito coil on the balcony, as well as the candle in the room would be lit.

Restaurants:
I can't comment on the Italian restaurant (Pangaea) as we only wanted to try Thai food during our stay but we did visit the beach restaurant every day for breakfast and also had dinner here one evening. For breakfast you can either choose from the menu (options include full English, eggs Benedict, waffles and pancakes etc.) as well as a buffet offering yoghurts, cereal, fruit, freshly made juice etc.
For dinner at the beach restaurant we chose to have the set menu which was just over 900baht per person, we received a starter as well as about 5 other dishes for main and a selection of Thai deserts, all of which was delicious!

Pool/beach:
The pool and beach areas are beautiful with ample sun loungers (this is the first resort I've been to where you haven't had to get up at the crack of dawn to ensure a lounger!) Although the sea directly in front of the hotel is a little rocky if you walk 20 metres to the right, in front of the restaurants, the sand is lovely and soft underfoot.

Location:
Sala is located on Choeng Mon beach, a relatively quiet area compared to nearby Chaweng and Bo Phut. There are quite a few restaurants nearby (I recommend Crystals on the beach and Longtable on the road). There is a taxi rank right outside the hotels entrance with a list of prices (300 baht to Chaweng and Fishermans village and 400 to the airport).

Activities:
We booked 3 activities through the hotel (which we don't usually do as they generally turn out more expensive than booking direct but the activities seemed fairly priced). The first activity we booked was the Animal Show at Namuang Safari Park, we were picked up at our hotel by the safari park mini bus (also collected a few other passengers from other hotels on the way). The second activity we booked was the 8 hour tour of the island with a private driver, we thought this might be a driver from an outsourced company but it was with Sing, one of the lovely Sala staff. Sing suggested areas of interest and drove us to the locations while he waited for us. He also suggested a quaint little beach side restaurant in the south of the island for lunch which we never would have chosen ourselves but were so happy with it! We were also given cold flannels (very much appreciated in the heat) and cold drinks. The final activity booked was the Thai cooking class run by one of the restaurant chefs (just over 3000 baht for 2 people). You choose 4 dishes from the menu (one from each course) and are shown how to prepare and cook the food from scratch. The class is about 1 1/2 hours long and at the end you get to enjoy your hard work (a soft drink/mocktail is also included) and are given an apron and certificate to show off back home.

I hope my review has done the hotel justice, I really can't praise every single staff member enough. They truly go out of their way to make sure you have a memorable experience. I normally always say I will return to a hotel if I've enjoyed it but in this instance I really would return tomorrow if I could! Thank you Sala.

4  Thank illek1

Dear signature "illek1",

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a long, detailed and positive review of your recent stay at SALA Samui !

We are delighted to read the you fully enjoyed your stay, and we would be delighted to welcome you back !

Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights as part of our honeymoon and our only regret is that we didn't stay longer!! The service was first class from the moment we arrived - we were given a bouquet of flowers when checking in and later had wine and chocolates delivered to our room. We stayed in a deluxe balcony room which was lovely (the bed is possibly the most comfortable I've ever slept in!) but we do wish we had gone for the Garden Pool Villa as we saw the pools for the other rooms and were incredibly jealous! However, this was not really a problem as the hotel has two main pools which are both beautiful and not overcrowded or busy as every other hotel I've experienced before. The beach is also beautiful and the water is lovely and warm - the only issue is it was very rocky in the water which made it hard to walk but we found that slightly further up the beach it was less rocky and more sandy. The Sala restaurant was lovely also - even though it was more expensive than other restaurants in the town, I'd say the standard of the food was worth the extra money. Every single member of staff at the hotel was brilliant and extremely friendly. I also loved the location of the hotel, outside of the busy Chaweng but only a short 300 Baht taxi ride away if you wanted to visit. Would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone looking to stay in Koh Samui and we will hopefully be returning at some point in the future!

Dear Lisa B,

Thank you very much for your fabulous review of SALA Samui ! On behalf of the entire team, we would be delighted to welcome you back on a future stay !

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I just want to say that I don't really do reviews of hotels so much, but the SALA really deserves my reviews!
Me and my boyfriend stayed at the SALA for 5 nights during my Birthday week. I must say that I have stayed at countless 5 stars hotels around the world. So far, this place is on one of my best hotels top list! Everythig was so amazing. When we first got there early in the morning (before the usually check-in time), they gave us complimentary breakfast while waiting to check-in. ALL the staff were so polite and friendly. Even the gardeners stopped what they were doing to say hi and "wai" us. Such a traditional Thai friendliness that a lot of hotels in Thailand are missing. Breakfast was AMAZING! Such a variety, with a la carte menu and buffet line.
When it was my birthday, all the staff knew about this and said happy Birthday to me all day. It was great. Such a memorable experience. Well done SALA!

Dear signature "Pinta P"

Khob Khun Krub !

Thank you very much for your lovely review, and on behalf of the entire team, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us !

Reviewed July 13, 2014

This review is overdue as we stayed here in February. I have been trying to decide between rating this five or four ( wish there was a 4.5 ) and somehow lost the momentum. The staff are definitely five. Also good to see the manager Dick present and taking time to speak to his guests. The breakfast are the best we have had, apart from Dubai with a really good time slot..I think you could eat there up to 11.00. You had a choice of everything, plus an egg chef and you could also order from the menu. All kinds of teas, coffees, smoothie bar juices etc. The breakfast is set around the lovely pool and overlooking the beach. We would go straight to the beach from breakfast where the lovely staff always laid out your sun bed, Water was frequently brought round to you. The hotel is at the end of the beach so perfectly placed. We stayed in a Sala Pool Villa, It was very nice, it was not luxurious and storage is limited. It would have been nice to lay round our pool after lunch but we had no sun at that time of day. This Hotel is ideally placed. On the beach there is nothing to the left of you and around ten different bars and eating places along the stretch to the right. If you go out of the front gates and turn left there is the village on your doorstep with untold number of restaurants.. a couple of supermarkets and chemists and money exchange.. In the village you could eat lunch with wine and beer for approx. £10 per couple. We tended to walk to the village every other lunch time and eat in the hotel restaurant most other days as we enjoyed eating overlooking the pool and beach. The hotel is also very near the fisherman's village which is an experience. We took a cab there a few nights but avoided the busy Friday nights. . It was nice to wander around the shops, bars and restaurants. In the other direction is Chaweng beach and village which is very busy and lively. And quite an experience.! I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't give this hotel five. We paid a premium to stay here but you will also pay a premium to eat and drink in the hotel especially if you like wine. The menu and bar prices are on their website but to that is added service charge and taxes.
Some points for the ladies. The hairdryer in the room is small and not powerful so if you can, take your own. You will not need high heels. The only bar in the hotel is on sand, When you go out the pavements are very uneven and broken. No Nail gel needed as to have yiour nails redone in the village is mega cheap!! Oh and take lots of hangers. Stock up with wine or champagne at duty free.as there is a fridge in your room. Champagne is ultra expensive even in the supermarkets. .
A general point re koh Samui,. If you want to eat out where you don't question the hygiene you will pay UK gastro pub prices.

Room Tip: You do not need to splurge on a pool villa, The hotel beach and pool are lovely.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Lozza7

Dear Lozza7,

Thank you very much for your extensive and very positive review ! I've carefully read your comments, and I believe that what might have created your review doubts is our style and approach. The resort is not "palatial" but rather understated luxury and elegance, and our staff are very friendly, but we try to keep an inobtrusive service level. Just FYI, we are currently exchanging the hairdriers for more powerful ones, and the breakfast is actually all day. The buffet is removed at 11, but the a la carte breakfast menu is available all day long...and if you want to have it served in the privacy of your room / villa, there is no extra charge for it.
Overall, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we would be delighted to welcome you back !

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

All I need to say is this:
This place surpassed all our expectations: service was amazing; staff could not do enough for you and they made our wedding and honeymoon more than we could have dreamed of.
Accommodation was fantastic, food was delicious. Can't fault it- loved every minute of it. Best place I've ever stayed. (And i am reasonably well travelled).

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank PBecks100

Dear "PBecks100"

Thank you very much for trusting us with your wedding, and we are delighted that we could make your dreams come true. On behalf of the entire team, and in particular Khun Jaa we would be delighted to welcome you back.....-on your anniversary ?

Reviewed July 11, 2014

We recently spent eight nights at sala samui after the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. The staff,from the general manager to the staff at the pool and restaurants, the spa and the reception were all incredibly friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. I arrived from Bangkok feeling quite ill and chef nick made me chicken broth and rice, sorted out medication for me and was genuinely concerned, as were all the other member of staff. We loved the pools, the one to the left,looking at the beach, was for adults and the one nearer to the restaurant was for all to use. The beach bar was great for snacks and happy hours twice a day. The restaurants menu and wine list were extensive and they would make anything you asked for whether at the restaurant or rom service. The food was delicious and quite international alongside all the usual Thai traditional fare. There were a few themed nights if you wanted to participate - a beach BBQ one night, Thai evenings with dancing and a live band playing Thai music. Another evening we were serenaded by an English singer who sang anything from ed Sheehan to crowded house brilliantly.
There are several kayaks you can take out free of charge to kayak along the shoreline and maybe go the next bay along. We did this a few times. The pool attendants sorted out sunbeds and parasols and kept your glasses plied with fresh water all day long. Coconut chicken and crispy squid were lovely for light lunch at pool bar.
We had a gorgeous complimentary Thai massage which I would highly recommend. There is an extensive spa menu to enjoy.
There is a shuttle bus which runs in the hour up til ten at night to chaweng if you want to stock up on all the usual goodies and maybe take in a ladyboy show or just have a meal. The cost is just 300 baht per person and is just charged to your bill
We stayed in a pool villa which gave us our own private piece of paradise to go to after an exhausting day spent at the pool. The room was spacious with a huge bed, daybed and large flat screen tv which proved handy for night time viewing of Wimbledon! The bathroom has an outside shower, bath, wc with plenty of towels. You are given toiletries, dressing gown, slippers, umbrellas, tea coffee facilities, mini bar not too expensive. By your pool are two sunbeds and another sheltered daybed with fixed huge parasol which you will be very grateful for. It reached 98f whilst we were there!
If I have one piece of information that is not connected to the hotel it is that the half day tour of the island was not very good. We had booked this prior to leaving uk and they take you to some awful dirty and slightly quirky places. Maybe leave it at that.
So all in all the hotel, staff, food, amenities etc i give 100% and highly recommend it to you all.
ps forgot to mention that I was sent a huge bouquet of orchids from the staff wishing me a
A speedy recovery!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 16 with pool. Lovely room very near to pools and beach
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Louise R

Dear "louiserobertson2001",

Thank you very much for your long, extensive and very positive review of your recent stay at SALA Samui. From ther entire team at SALA, we sincerely hope you have recovered completly, and we would be delighted to welcome you back,

SALAS Samui Resort & Spa

#1 of 104 in Chaweng
Banyan Tree Samui
Banyan Tree Samui
#3 of 51 in Lamai Beach

Been to SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!