Lowest prices for your stay
$115
Free cancellation until 09/25/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
$104
Free cancellation until 09/26/21
ZenHotels.com
$99
Hotels.com$104
FindHotel$104
Destinia.com$117
2,750 results
All reviews garden pool villa outdoor bathroom our honeymoon black pool deluxe balcony room day bed thai night choengmon beach mosquito coils happy hour thai food spa treatments little touches fire show the general manager relaxing holiday dick
Selected filters
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed at the Sala Samui from the 26th of January for one week. We had a garden pool villa which had the sun for most of the day (No 38). The hotel is amazing - clean, comfortable and the service is the best we have experinced in our travels. A special mention to Amanda and the staff at the beach. Also chef Nick does the most amazing food. We ate out a couple of times but the food and the setting of the restaurant by the sea had us returning to the Sala for most of our meals. We had breakfast included and would recommend this. The extensive menus was served at your table. We had a Thai massage at the Spa and this was great. We went to Bo Phut one eveing and enjoyed and would recommend the fishermans village. We also went out on a boat trip to the National marine park and this was excellent. The Sala is highly recommended and we plan to return in the near futre.

Room tip: Room 38 had the sun for most of the day. I is worth having the pool.
Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Caroline1026
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear signature "Caroline 1026"

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the services and facilities of the resort. On behalf of the entire team, we are looking forwards to welcoming you back in a not too distant future,

Reviewed February 13, 2013

This has been the best holiday experience ever. Everything was above expectation. I will always come back to Sala Samui and I give my best recommendation. I was traveling with my with and our two daughters who were 6 months and three years old at that time. Everything was clean, the food was excellent and the staff were beyond service minded. My wife and I have been travelling twice a year the last ten years and Sala Samui is the place that we want and will return to. The majority of the guests that we spoke to came either via recommendations or came for the 2nd or third time to Sala Samui. I believe that it speaks for itself.

Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank EmmanuelReyes

Dear signature "Emmanuel Reyes",

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a positive review of SALA Samui, and recommending us. We would be delighted to welcoming you back in a not too distant future !

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at Sala Samui for 6 nights for our honeymoon and I cannot recommend it highly enough. We had a pool villa and it was delightful. Gorgeous bath and outside bathroom. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and the breakfasts were out of this world. A highlight was that if we slept in past 11am, we could order breakfast to our villa at no extra cost. This was a nice touch on a holiday which was all about chilling out. My only regret is not staying here longer.

Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Charlie_BBP

Dear signature "Charlie_BBP",

Thank you for posting such a positive review on Tripadvisor, and we are happy you had a wonderful honeymoon !
And yes, -I agree completely. You discovered the absolutely best side of our breakfast !

Reviewed February 7, 2013

This review is based on 3 factors:

1. Experience: my 20+ years global travel ranging from 5+ star hotels to B&Bs and backpackers;
2. Expectations of service and quality based on price paid (relative to other nearby options); and
3. Type of Stay: 5 days in a 2 bedroom beachfront Presidential Pool Villa Suite as a family of 5 (2A+3C) @ approximately $US1,000 p/n.

Summary:

I have rated Sala Samui as "Average" based primarily on the (1) lack of 5-star service, (2) lack of value relative to other room types in the resort, and (3) quality of in-room fixtures/fittings.

Positives:

1. Prior to arriving we requested a small birthday cake be provided in our room on arrival for our daughter since we had travelled from Europe and missed most of the day between time zones. The hotel provided a great meringue with candles as well as a bottle of sparkling wine for us which was very much appreciated.

2. Hotel pools were relaxing and inviting; especially considering we had our own large villa pool.

3. Security and grounds staff were always very friendly; providing warm "Sawadee ka/krub" greetings every time we passed them.

4. Sala restaurant is in a great open location and had a comfortable mediterranean furnishings. Jimme and Amanda from the Sala restaurant were very friendly and service oriented.

5. Wireless internet worked without issues during our stay (which is surprisingly not that common in the region).

Negatives:

1. Service from most staff (reception, restaurant and bar) was definitely not 5-star (note exceptions in points 3 and 4 above). Most staff seemed indifferent, were not personable and were did not seem interested in providing 5-star service. I find this more common in 3 and 4 star hotels that have less trained/empowered/happy staff.

2. No differentiated serviced based on premium room type. This was a big issue to me as there is only one Presidential Pool Villa Suite in the resort and it costs nearly double the next lower room type. In most 5-star resorts, guests staying in "Club" or "Premium" rooms are usually subtlety acknowledged, whether it be a simple "welcome back to breakfast this morning Mr ABC, would you like your Cappuccino again this morning?" or a personal greeting from the GM or duty GM offering any assistance during the stay. I would not expect any of these gestures if staying in a standard room. These are the small things that make a 5-star guest feel special which differentiates from 3 and 4 star resorts. It equally makes guests paying 2-3 times more for a room that extra bit special in the hotel.

3. There seemed to be too much furniture in the bedrooms which meant we constantly bumped into desks etc when going from the bedroom to the feature bathrooms. Other reviews seem to echo this comment. This could be easily fixed by removing the desk at the bedhead.

4. Restaurant staff (during dinner) did not know the menu or could not recommend dishes or wines. On several occasions I asked staff what they could recommend and they consistently looked at me blankly, read the menu in some detail, and quoted randomly one of the items on the menu.

5. Room fixtures and fittings need servicing. Push-down/up plugs in feature baths did not work on several occasions (even after advising housekeeping); Plumbing in one of the toilets was blocked for the duration of stay (even after advising housekeeping... who advised us not to use toilet paper... fair enough as we were in Asia and they did have a bidet hose.... however there were also 4 rolls of toilet paper next to the toilet which I am not sure what it was for if we weren't supposed to use it.).

6. Happy hour pricing policy was trivial and annoying. From 2-3pm and 5-7pm each day the resort widely promotes "2 for 1" happy hour pricing on all drinks (excluding wines and premium cocktails). This is limited to two identically drinks so when we requested one milkshake and one smoothy we were told they had to be the same drink. Equally, when we ordered a cocktail at 250 baht and another and 280 baht (30 baht = $US1 difference) we were told we would have to pay the full price for both as they were not identically drinks. I offered to pay the higher 280 baht price however was told I could not. This policy is trivial and annoying when you are paying good money for a room. Happy hour is not about the money saved; it is a gesture of appreciation to guests and also aimed at getting guests out and spending at the hotel not elsewhere.

7. Lot's of mosquito's: although the resort supplied mosquito coils in rooms, there was a persistent abundance of the annoying creatures (even for an Australian). We have stayed in other Koh Samui, Koh Phagnan and Koh Tao resorts at the same time of year and never experienced this number of mosquito's.

Overall: I can not recommend the Sala Samui Presidential Pool Villa Suite if you are expecting a true 5-star experience. My expectations may have been different if I was staying in a Garden Pool Villa at approximately $US300 per night; however this would not have addressed the lack of 5-star service issues mentioned above.

Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
11  Thank apkross
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

This was our final stop on our 2 month long honeymoon - and it was so much more then I would have asked for. Service has been outstanding with all staff able to speak English - well. All the suggestions that have been recommended for dinner have also been great. Breakfast was the best I have ever had in a hotel & the food in general was great. The location was about 10 min out from Chewang, but the beach here was just much better! We stayed in a sala pool villa which was large & the pool was great - only issue would have been the Mosquitos. In all... We're planning our next visit! Can't wait!!

Date of stay: February 2013
1  Thank BecLAnd
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear signature " BecLAnd "

On behalf of the entire team, -we would like to thank you very much for taking the time to post a very positive review, we are truly happy that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us and we would be delighted to welcome you back in a not too distant future,