Lowest prices for your stay
$114
Free cancellation until 10/02/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
$103
Travelocity$103
eDreams$114
ZenHotels.com$149
2,750 results
All reviews garden pool villa outdoor bathroom our honeymoon black pool deluxe balcony room day bed thai night choengmon beach mosquito coils happy hour thai food spa treatments little touches fire show the general manager relaxing holiday dick
Selected filters
Reviewed October 30, 2012

After having visited Sala Phuket a few times and Sala Khao Yai 1 time, this time we went for Koh Samui for 3 nights.
Sala Koh Samui has a totally different feel allthough the concept with balcony rooms and pool villas is the same: the style is more Thai in white stone and dark wood. Personally I prefer the more modern and sleek look of Phuket and Khao Yai. Also this resort is somewhat older which you can see in the rooms, it is not as tip top anymore.

For instance; our shower was spraying from all three outlets at one time and you could not change this. Water came out of the rainshower, the handheld shower and the tap.
We booked a balcony room since we were not planning to spent a lot of time in our room and more on the beach. The room is spacious with a huge balcony and open air bathroom. However, the bathroom can only be closed by curtains - fine - but the door to the bathroom was a large glass turning door with curtains at both sides in which you would get tangled whilst trying to get in or out of your bathroom. Would have been more convenient if they would have put in a normal door which they did in the garden pool villas or put shutters in front of the window. And you had to use the curtains otherwise everyone would see you on the toilet....

The service however was impeccable and friendly. The food was nice, the view over the beach was great. We could eat breakfast with our feet in the sand. Breakfast consisted of a menu for the hot dishes and a lovely buffet with dried fruits, pastries, home made yoghurt, fresh fruits and many more lovely things.
They had some supercomfy loungers next to the pool and they bring water and fruit complimentary. Beach is rather busy with more hotels lining the shore and plasic loungers everywhere but as long as you lie on your Sala lounger you will not see any of these things.

We used the spa 3 times and specifically the Head above and the aroma massage were superb.

Since they still have their Thai music nights in the restaurant, we had the hotel book us a dinner at the nearby Six Senses, Dining on the Rocks and they picked us up and brought us home, complimentary.

The only thing they did not manage to do was give us a complimentary upgrade as returning customers with the excuse that the hotel was busy. However, if we were willing to pay we could get any room we liked so clearly there were rooms available?

All in all we had a great time but I would not revisit, simply because I don't like the Thai style of the hotel and prefer a more contemporary style. Next time I would choose Phuket again with it's endless and very quiet beach

Room tip: If you are planning not to spent a lot of time in your room, the balcony rooms are perfectly fine. However, if you prefer privacy as a couple, the poolvillas are better value
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Mariken v
SALA_Samui_GM, General Manager at SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear signature Mariken V,

Thank you very much for your positive review of SALA Samui Resort & Spa !
We appreciate that you have visited all 3 SALA Resorts, and yes, we were the first of the three SALA Resorts...., - but I believe that after 8 years we are maturing with grace !
As you might already have heard, we are in the process of opening up 3 more small boutique hotels in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Ayutthaya within the next 6 month's.
We are sorry that we could not grant you a complimentary upgrade on your stay with us, -which unfortunately not always is possible, as we have very high occupancies most of the year,

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights only with my wife.

The staff are really nice and they did pretty well on pest control.

We have spent all our meal time at the Beach restaurant and the seafood were superb. I personally prefer beef or pork over fish but their chef managed to turn all seafood that I had had into fabulous dishes!

Since the stay was short we did not take the time to walk around, but it seems to me that there was much out there as the shops seemed to be either closed or closed DOWN.

Prices for food and drinks were expected to be higher than what we could have got outside, but we had a wonderful time resting so why should that bother us?

The only pitiful bit was that the sea was a bit rough probably after thunderstorm and the water wasn't tranquil. Let's hope we'll be embracing better weather next time we get to Samui!

Room tip: If you don't mind listening to performers singing at the restaurant at night, it might be good to choose one of those pool villa suites near the beach side.
1  Thank NHH1983

Dear signature NH H,

On behalf of the entire team, we would like to thank you very much for your positive review, and we would be delighted to welcoming you back on a future occasion,

Reviewed October 29, 2012

5 days beach after sightseeing HCM City & Siem Reap ( Angkor temples) were perfect for us - we didn't want to leave beach - and didnt need to here!
Enjoyed great weather - nice cocktail / happy hour twice daily & the hotel dinners were devine!
Not so great - gym : small & no view. Spa facilities (steam) can only be used when booking appointments - I recommend to have massages on the beach anyhow; the local ladies do a terrific job with foot massages (30 min 200 tbat) or full body (50 min 300 tbat).
Thank you for a ! Breakfast was super too!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Kate1974

Dear signature "Kate 1974"

Thank you very much for your positive review ! We are happy that you where able to relax and fully enjoy the beach and the services of the resort !

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Was a bit disappointed with my 5 day stay at sala after reading all the excellent reviews of the resort.
I stayed in a Deluxe Balcony Room I found the room to be too small with too much furniture in it. The 4 post bed took up much of the room and made it difficult to watch tv in bed as the pole was right in the middle of the screen.
The bed itself was horrible, mattress so uncomfortable, loud when rolling over ect....
The balcony was wonderful it was large and the day bed was perfect to relax on to catch the cool breeze. I loved the outside bathroom it to was large, however I found the large glass push door annoying and the stupid oversized curtains always getting in the way and me always having to move them to stop them getting stuck in the door. The AC light lit up the room that also annoyed me. I also had to put pillows along the bottom of the front door to stop the light from shinning in and keeping me awake. (sounds petty but that’s what annoys me)
The pool area was beautiful loved the day beds to lounge around on and the beach was clean and water looked nice.
Bar staff were great.
Breakfast was amazing I loved the cafe style menu and ordered off that every day. Cannot complain about the breakfast, as this was the most thing I enjoyed most at sala.
The spa was excellent to I has 2 treatments and both were very nice, but expensive (same as Australian prices). I would recommend a facial and massage.
All staff were very friendly from security to reception always smiling and saying hello, which made our stay enjoyable.
Im not sure if I would stay here again as I was not happy with the balcony room, the villas look amazing but they seem jam packed together and it was very noisy while walking past them on the way to the pool hearing people showering talking, kids screaming ect.

Room tip: go a villa
1  Thank RockyScamm

Dear signature "Rocky S",

We are sorry to hear that you did not like the design of the room. Regarding the uncomfortable bed, I wish you had informed us, - so that we could have changed the mattress for you, -as no matter how good the other services are, the basics of a hotel is to assure our guests a good nights sleep, -something we until this day have not had any comments about, and on the contrary many guests comment how well and deep they sleep.
We are happy that you enjoyed the services of the hotel, and we would perhaps recommend you to try another room type next time, and we would like to thank you for sharing your comments,

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We spent 3 nights of our honeymoon at the Sala resort and loved it!
We had a garden pool villa -( if you come here make sure you take a room with a privet pool!!!! It's worth the extra money- and the beach and pools are not amazing)
The room is beautiful, has a great sound system you can attach your iPad/ any other device to and listen to your music
The breakfast is unbelivable! Greatest breakfast we ever had!
The resturant is very good!! Excellent food and amazing service!!
They have a DVD library you can choose movies from..
The down sides are:
the service at the reception- not the best we had... There's room for improvment
it's a little expensive- although because it's close to other resturants and on the beach you can get a massage for a low price
The bar staff is the worst we had... Really bad...
The italian resturant is not worth it- average food- nothing special..just a nice pizza place
We would really reccomend it!!! A quite romantic place- perfect for a holiday

1  Thank sigsigm

Dear signature "sigsigm",

Thank you very much for your positive review of SALA Samui ! We are happy that your overall stay was good, and that you would recommend us. If you would like to develop some of your comments further, I would be delighted to receive a mail from you on genmgr@salasamui.com, as we always appreciate constructive criticism in order to further improve our services,