“Nice location”

Imperial Boat House Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Choeng Mon
Reviewed December 4, 2009

Enjoyed our holiday in this hotel. We stayed in one of the premier rooms which was quite modern. The bathroom was very clean with a hugh bath and a seperate modern shower. The room was cleaned to a high standard everyday and we had a bowl of fresh fruit left every day of our stay.The staff were both friendly and helpful at all times.We asked to have a look around one of the rice boats, but alas we were not very impressed with them. The shower was over a large bath but looked really old, the furniture looked shabby, but there was quite a lot of space in the boat. They wanted to charge us £50 per night to upgrade to the boat, although we could have upgraded for £89 for two weeks on booking the holiday.

I became ill during the holday and the hotel were very helpful and took me to a hospital and brought me back. The following day they sent a beautiful arrangement of flowers and fruit with a get well message. The staff also made a point of asking how I was for days afterwards.

The only thing that I can say we were upset with were the mosquitos. Every one was bit to death. We use to smother our selves in Deet etc and plug in's in the room alas to no avail.My husband is hardly ever bit but he has about 30 nasty bites this stain of mosquitos appeared very aggressive..

We went to the weekly managers cocktail party and had the opportunity to speak to the manager with suggestions about the hotel. They took photographs of every one who attended and gave them a photograph the following morning which was quite a nice touch. The main pool was lovely and you could walk straight on to the beach. The food at the hotel was also good but a lot more expensive than the eating places outside the hotel. All in all it is a very nice hotel and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank maryelilley
There are newer reviews for Imperial Boat House Beach Resort

Reviewed November 25, 2009

just couldnt fault this hotel, sheer luxury!
the rooms were amazing we didnt stay in one of the boat houses but i was more than happy with a normal hotel room. good sized with amazing bathroom with swing doors so u can sit in the huge bath and look out into the room and watch tele! complex was lovely good sized boat shaped pool with cannons! directly on the beach where there is water sports and beauty huts so you can have a massage or manicure or pedicure ( i took advantage every day) this hotel was about 4-5 mins drive from cheweng- perfect not too far but not too close! food was excellent in the restaurant , but would definately recommend the little restaurant directly outside the hotel- food was amazing! and a lot cheaper than the hotel! if eating out in cheweng ,try the red snapper - amazing food. i dont think i could fault this holiday at all !!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank katherina09
Reviewed November 22, 2009

We stayed at this Hotel for only 4 days but wish we could of stayed longer.
It is beautifully designed and you are impressed as soon as you arrive. Our room was very nice with a king sized bed, the bathroom was particularly impressive with all you need supplied. all the rooms have balconies which look out onto the well maintained gardens. Every where was spotlessly clean and all the staff were extremely helpful. There are 2 swimming pools and the main pool was shaped like a boat and it was a good size, there is a restaurant and poolside bar.and the beach was less than a stones throw from the pool, The beach area was very clean and quite secluded there was no jet skies or other water spots to rent accept canoes. There is a buffet breakfast with plenty to choose from again very impressed. Outside the hotel there are no bars but there are some small restaurants and a few shops, however the hotel does run a free bus into Cheweng and picks you up back to the hotel and after 5pm there is a modest charge.
We would definitely return to this Hotel again or even checkout any of this groups other Hotels on our future vacations.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kor4at
Reviewed October 25, 2009

I had always wanted to visit Ko Samui after a work colleague described it to me some years ago and when she told me about The Imperial Boathouse, I thought that was the place I would stay when I went. Therefore, I never even considered another property when I planned our recent visit to this island.

Arrival at Samui airport is an experience in itself. Thoroughly charming - you get into the island experience right away. The fish tank in the gents room is a stunning feature that has to be seen - it is great to see a public toilet maintained to such a high standard.

My partner and I decided that we wanted to stay in one of the rice barges which seemed to be the point of staying at this hotel. As it is the top priced room on offer, we thought we'd be in for a treat. From the moment I entered the suite, I had doubts but kept them to myself in case my partner felt differently. The first thing that struck me was that the suite had been inappropiately decorated for this setting - upholstered furniture which had gone shabby but not in a chic way. Whicker or water hyacinth furniture, so common in Thailand, would have better suited this beachside location. One could see the signs of previous guests coming in from the beach, sunscreen-smeared, sitting on the sofa. The bedroom on the lower deck was cute and cosy (a big plus) but there wasn't much in the way of "luxury" in the overall ambiance to justify the top price-tag that this room asked. There was a strong odour of furniture polish mixed with disinfectant throughout the suite but for me the bathroom was the dealbreaker.

I do understand that in the somewaht unorthodox setting of a rice barge, one should expect corners not to be square, but I draw the line at the bathroom - that has to be just right if I am going to feel comfortable for a week. This bathroom lacked the styling I would associate with a 4-star hotel - the arrangement wasn't pleasant and I felt that enough hadn't been done to make it "special". Worst of all, the shower was not positioned sufficiently high on the wall for me to stand under, making it necessary for me to hold it. I knew that the novelty of this would wear thin quite soon when you consider that you needed to take at least two showers a day because of the heat!

We said nothing at that point (both of us believing that we were being too fussy) and went for a swim in the sea. With our minds sufficiently chilled by that experience, I asked what shall we do about this room. My partner's instant response was, "Let's asked to be moved!"

We went to the front desk and explained our dilemma. They were extremely understanding (this was not the first time they had had such a request) and offered to show us a variety of rooms in the main buildings. They insisted on showing us the honeymoon suite which we politely declined. With an enormous bath in the middle of the room, I was concerned that one of us might fall into it in the night on our way to the toilet! We settled for a premier room and the manager threw in a complimentary dinner at the restaurant. We were more than happy!

I should add that there were several guests staying in the barges over the week we were there and I am not aware of any of them asking to be moved. Everyone has a different idea of what they want from a hotel and I did read some reviews that were not 100% complimentary about the barges but decided to ignore them. Fortunately for us, it was low season so our request to be moved could be met. With the room problem out of the way, we started to relax and enjoy the place.

This Imperial Boathouse is right on the beach, a fact that is not shared by all hotels on Samui. This a great bonus. That beach is Cheong Mon, an altogether quieter location than Chaweng, the beach to which most of Samui's visitors have traditionally flocked. Another great bonus. There was little going on in Cheong Mon which suited us, as the main reason for this holiday was relaxation. Our one day-time foray into Chaweng involved an encounter with a couple selling time shares - of course, not called that these days but the same concept to be sure. Several of the restaurants advertised in the visitor's guides are located on this main strip. We found the smells in the street, and the density of tourist traps too much and were happy to make the retreat back to Cheong Mon. I guess it had to be done. There do seem to be some swanky resorts on Chaweng, but I suspect the general ambiance of the main drag somewhat tarnishes their sheen.

Breakfast at the Boathouse was good - lots of what you'd expect on offer. Dinner was variable with the Thai-themed evening being the most successful. There was some Thai dancing that evening too - nice but nothing special. It has to be said that the grounds of the hotel are beautiful and well kept.

There is one point about the sea around Samui that is important to be made. There were a lot of sea lice (aka. sea ants) which made swimming somewhat less that comfortable when we were there. Neither lice nor ants, these are in fact the larvae of jellyfish which fire their stings into your skin as you swim past them. I saw a large jellyfish at the water's edge towards the end of our holiday which seemed to make sense of the stings we felt earlier in the week. Although not harmful to me (I have encountered them in the Caribbean before) some people do have quite bad reactions to them. I did find it odd on the first day that so many guests chose to use the pool (as nice as it is) when the sea was just a few meters away. I understand there is a product you can use to prevent these blighters from stinging but I only found that out when I got back to the UK.

It is quite difficult to give a fair rating to this hotel - there were good and bad points. The staff were more than happy to solve our problem and kept asking if we were satisfied with our new room. The buildings were not well finished (I guess little attention was paid to that sort of thing back in the 80s) and the property is in need of some smartening up to compete with the modern trend in Thai hotels. You do not have to wander too far from The Boathouse to see those trends either. I suppose I feel that the rice barges are somewhat mis-sold as luxury suites because they fall short of what I associate with luxury. I would probably not stay here on a future visit to Samui, but would still recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank captainmerky
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We were recommended this hotel but after seeing a few reviews about it being 'tired' i was a little apprehensive.
My expectations were quickly eradicated when this hotel more than exceeded my expectations, i think we spent the first hour just marveling at the hotel, its Thai authenticity, its cleanliness, the fantastice amenities, its location is on a white sandy beach, the staff were friendly and gave first class service at all times.
Imagine paradise and this hotel is it!
We ate in the hotel a couple of times and the meals were excellent and good value, again with first class attention to detail.
I was also worried about the time of the year we travelled; I shouldn't have as we had perhaps an hour of rain the whole 2 weeks.
We had several meals at the bars on the beach, why? Because what can be better than strolling along the beach with the waves lapping the shore to sit at a table eating your meal under the stars in candlelight.
We tried several of the bars/restaurants along the beach but always returned to our favourite CRYSTAL, why because they are a family run business, excellent fresh fish but also a very varied menu and we never paid more than £20 for a meal with drinks for 2 - just watch the fire throwers at night as they are still in training! Also at this bar i had a french manicure, hands and feet with nail art for £10! My husband had a full Thai massage at the bar for £6!
Across the road from the hotel is a tailor, Hugo Boss International,run by 2 Indian boys. If you are hesitant about having a suit made then look no further. I had a Thai silk dress and cashmere suit made for less than £150. The level of service was superb and the attention to detail impressive. I would have no hesitation in recommending this tailor and the good thing is they are keeping my details on file so i can make further purchases from England!
If you want boutique chic then don't go to this hotel but if you want Thai culture, character, 1st class service in an impressive location then i wish you a wonderful holiday.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HappyThaiCouple
Reviewed September 30, 2009

just had 2 weeks there and it was my best holiday yet.the hotel is set right on the beach two swimming pools 1 in the shape of a boat,the other i spent most of the time there it was like having your own private pool,they were both cleaned out daily.the groundswere olso tidied daily
the food was very good and a wide variety,the staff were excellent helpful and friendly rooms were very spacious shower and seperate bath a large balcony with 2 loungers.
we ate at a local cafe/resteraunt called PEAKS KITCHEN if you go to koh samui you must try there food it is out of this world the owner MR PEAK & HIS WIFE PON look after you very well and nothing is a bother to them. anything you ask for they can get it food is excellent beer is cheap and the service is first class.
we also ate at CHARLIE CHAPLINS AND BUERNO next to peaks kitchen and they were also value for money

had a stay over in bangkok on the return journey would like longer next time

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank trevpace69
Reviewed September 28, 2009

This is our first visit to Samui and we found the hotel very charming. The rooms are comfortable, clean well decorated. It located on a great beach away from the crowds and partiers. The hotel is well kept and the staff is friendly and can communicate in fair English.

The only problem we had is that when we were not in the room and got a call and a message to call back from our friend or other people the massage would be deliver few hours later and without mention of the time of the call. This can be a bit confusing and I believe the hotel should indicate the time of the massage. Please also be aware that the hotel charge 300 Baht for a local call that is 100 times more than a local call you can make with a sim card you can get at the 7/11 next door. We found out this after checking out and we believe it is a bit too much.

Overall great place to stay in Samui and good value when book in advance on the website of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
#4 of 51 in Lamai Beach
Sea Dance Resort
Sea Dance Resort
#4 of 184 in Bophut

Been to Imperial Boat House Beach Resort? Share your experiences!