“The best holiday ever thank you”

Imperial Boat House Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Choeng Mon
“The best holiday ever thank you”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

All I can say is I can not stop thinking if this holiday . It was brilliant the people were lovely and made us feel at home and cared for . So much to do . The rooms were clean and everyone went out of their way to make us feel at home excellent thank you so much imperial boat house . We will definitely be telling our friends where to go .

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Tonie N
DoekeBonga_Boathouse, General Manager at Imperial Boat House Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Tonie,

Thank you very much for your fantastic compliment: "best ever" are great shoes to fill, so I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us that much :) Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for recommending our hotel to your friends. Really appreciated and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back one day soon.

gm@imperialboathouse.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Norfolk
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We spent 12 nights at the Imperial Boathouse back in February this year. It was our 3rd stay and once again we were met with warm smiles and great hospitality. Our first time here was back in May 2005 and we loved it so much we returned again in May 2008 and everything was just as great as our first stay. However, what really made a difference to us this time was Doeke, the new Manager. His input, presence and approachability was very impressive and his respect for both guests AND staff was clearly evident, he's doing a great job! We were upgraded to a Honeymoon suite for our entire stay which was really lovely and very comfortable. Some reviews have mentioned that the hotel could do with a bit of TLC and whilst this may be true in some areas, there were always staff attending to improvements which will obviously take time to complete, and most of what required attention was pretty minor. Given the popularity of this hotel it is only to be expected that not everything will remain pristine, however Doeke and his team should be very proud of their achievements so far. All of the staff were great but Baw, Big, Tic, Guy and Amy deserve a special mention for always looking after us at breakfast (which had a good selection) and down at the beach bar.
We look forward to returning again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TikTak_8
Dear TikTak,

Thank you so much for choosing to return for your 3rd visit with us. It was such a pleasure meeting you and your kind words are greatly appreciated. I'm delighted to read you enjoyed the Honeymoon Suite and I've shared your feedback on the outstanding staff with those mentioned and they were all very grateful and happy. We look forward to welcoming you for your 4th visit and wish you the very best from all of us here in sunny Samui.

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed May 27, 2013

After spending weeks on trip advisor and driving my friends crazy about where to stay on Koh Samui, I picked IBH-- and one of my better choices of destination spots. I wanted this section of the island because i wanted quiet and relaxing-- but not so quiet that i could not walk to other places to eat or my main passion-- a great massage at reasonable (cheap) prices. I found that in the Choeng Mon beach area.

So Imperial staff to surroundings to hotel experience I would give it Imperial class designation. As i told the GM; food it food/rooms are rooms-- to a well traveled person, it is the small things, the experiences that sets a nice place apart. IBH as many have mentioned is that experience.

The water is nice-- clean sand all around and yes you can snorkel here but not like the experience on a real reef. But swimming in the morning and evening is fantastic. I heard from others that the water here is more refreshing than the main beaches which tend to be over warm. Silver Beach? I wrote the review about it-- a little clearer water-but the beach experience here is nicer.

I was not much into pools-- but i am now. Both the frog pool-- which was right outside my room; and the main Boat Pool were just warm enough to make for a continuous stay. They have plenty of jetted seats that you can just sit in all day and not move while the water massages your back (again my trip theme).

I can see how if crowded you could run out of beach lounges; but i did not experience that. The cabana staff were great-- OU would run across the pool area if he saw you trying to open up an umbrella in order to help you. The frog pool is quieter-- no cabana staff that i saw, nor are there towels there. They provide nice big thick beach towels at the Boat Pool which is also right next to the ocean and the beach massage area. It would be nice to get some towels at the frog pool-- it is 3-5 min walk to the Boat pool and beach area. But, that is for lazy me--- the walk is through some beautiful garden path, with lily ponds and orchids in the trees. It is also through the Boat Rooms-- so if you want to be right next to the beach these are the places to stay.

Room: I was very very happy with my room. I got premium room, terrace next to frog pool. I know others have said the view upper areas is nice-- but frankly, i am very lazy and like to walk out of my room and fall into the pool-- each room has balcony with lounge chairs-- and i don't like stairs. Also, i was close to front desk and the marvelous breakfast each morning. For those who complain about the lack of variety in breakfast-- as yourself-- what do you eat every morning? There were plenty of choices of good healthy, and unhealthy food available. Asian rice and noodle dishes, good omelet chief; fresh fruit and salad fixings-- your typical 4/5 star fair. The breakfast area is refreshing and the staff helpful with refills or taking pictures for you.

I had a king size bed-- the room was nice; you get 2 bottles of water a day which i found to be easily supplemented by going across the street and getting cheap water and soda (i don't drink but there was cheap beer there also) and stocking them in the refrigerator. Updated has been a word used in the reviews and while i was staying there by other guests. I am not sure what that means-- nice couch, table and chairs. Like most hotels built 10 years plus; not enough electrical outlets to plug in all "our gear" now days, but that is common. I forgot my adapter but they supplied one free.
Cute story about staff: I called and asked for an adapter or plug-- no one who answered could understand my English or what i wanted. They handed the phone to several people (it was late at night so it was the night staff); finally they sent house keeping over thinking i needed another key. I pointed to the wall socket and my plugs-- she smiled and RAN away-- 3 minutes later a very tall, nice smiling staff member brought over the needed plug. Moral of the story-- i found that although some staff spoke better English than others (Joy was a Joy), they all will do what it takes to meet what you need.

(smell? yes lower floors a swamp gas smell many times as you enter and exit-- but that does not stay or nor bother you as you are not staying in that hall way. It is not sewage or unhealthy-- it is from a low lying vegetative area. )

Yes, do try the in-house Spa. I normally don't because they tend to be outside my price range-- but they were running a 2/1 special---take advantage of that if you can!!!!! Kate explained the packages to me-- and looked at me and suggested 3.5 hour package (to me a massage minimum is 2 hours) for what turned out to be around 65-70 US. What an experience!!! Highly recommend Mae; foot massage; Indian head massage with hot coconut oil; your choice of healing oils-- i will let them explain that to you-- followed by a manicure/pedicure-- your choice. Guys-- i am an old gray hair guy--- but you are not a man until you have had a manicure/pedicure-- i have had 3 in the last 3 months and my fingers and toes have never had it so good! I had 2 packages with Mae on separate days and glad for the experience. Would do it again.

Eating: The Captain's Table on the beach is very nice. I would especially recommend the Thursday night fresh seafood night. You are on the sand- pick out your fish/lobster/shrimp and they barbecue or fix the way you like it-- all the trimmings come with it.
Ok-- i will share with you my secret dessert--- coconut creamy delight-- that is all i am going to say-- but you have to try it, get it before the run out!!! Kaek was my main server when i ate there-- and she is one of the most attentive server's i have ever had. Make sure you tip the staff--even though they have a general service charge-- it is not much and i believe in awarding good service.

Beach food: the breakfast are so big-- i ate light for lunch. Everyone has told about the cooked corn and other delights on the beach and i will seconded that. During Happy Hour the pool drinks are not bad priced. I bought a round of drinks for the beach massage girls-- they were so friendly and we had such a good time-- it is hot and they worked hard on this whale of mine.

Beach Massage: plenty of choices-- farther down on the right a little cheaper-- about $1-2 hour cheaper. The ones at the end of the beach in the tree house were highly recommended to me; both were nice. However, again i will go back to my theme of being lazy-- and value is not always money-- it is time, ease and good product; the IBH beach massage had that for me-- as well as many others as every afternoon they were booked from people returning from the beach. I thought the idea of a beach massage when it was 90 outside dumb, until i actually did it the first time and now am sad i wasted my time and went across the street in the day time at an AC place. They have fans and for the most part it is not that bad. Also, why is when girls see me, they think pounded me is necessary for a good massage. I found Na-- at the hotel beach massage-- who new just the right amount of pressure or non pressure to apply. I went back to her several times and would recommend any of the staff. All the places the girls like to talk amongst themselves-- boring job-- most people i know don't care for it-- they did here but to a minimum and sometimes about me. We laughed together, but it is a problem most areas and to westerners it means you are not focusing on client. But, again that is everywhere and i would avoid places like others have said that have radio, tv or you see a lot of cell phone use as you will not get the total massage experience.

The one "bad-- relative term" thing about the IBH is like most places in Choeng Mon-- they shut down the beach massages and pool at 6 or 7. They open the pool at 8, but the ocean anytime to swim-- and the massage spa and beach massages don't open till 930/1000 in the morning. Someone told me at Chaewing that is not the case-- don't know. I suggested to the GM, that the ability to have an early morning massage or evening one would be so great. However, it is a decision I am sure based upon customer services-- so that would be my only regret.
So, I did go outside of the hotel for my evening massages. I will write up that on another forum; but across the street is Orchid Massage-- they stay open till 10; and they give a nice massage with tea afterward. I do not recommend Chaplin Massage to the right of Orchid-- the girl was inattentive and rather play on her cell phone during and after than give a massage. I found out to late that to the right of the IBH and down about 5/10 min walk there are several massage places that stay open till 11 and 12. I will check them out next time-- at the end of the day i like a late night massage. I looked for house massages-- not sexy-- but could not find.

Dogs-- yes there are dogs-- if you have traveled at all in the tropics or islands; wild dogs are a problem. I talked to the GM about it-- it is a problem for them, but again you are in a country where animals are sacred. I saw dumb guests feeding the dogs more then the staff. The dogs won't hurt you-- and you are going to find them everywhere-- here though not many.

Oh, before i forget-- something that brought me back to the restaurant or bar every night was a delightful singing duo who have such a great song selection and repertoire with the audience. Yes old songs-- Beatles, he thinks he is the Thai version of Elvis-- and she is a nightingale of a singer-- Judy Collins. He plays a very good simple guitar, and you can understand and appreciate the lyrics. They were in the Bar singing till midnight when i left. Bring your own drink, or buy from the bar and sing along. Very very nice. Yes, i heard others in Chaewng (spp) and they are much better and very friendly.

Germans? Yes, they have so many German guests like hotels that have lots of Chinese or Japanese guests, there are many signs for them. I also found Austrians, Australians, Chinese and many other people who were looking for a delightful experience. In fact-- i talked to a couple of young German couples who laughing complained they came here to get away from Gemany-- and now they can not. But, unlike a certain Eastern European area which "tends" to be unfriendly and isolated-- i found that all the guests were friendly and smiled when I said Hello or good morning. Most have limited English but even those were friendly. So, enjoy your fellow guests no matter where they are from.

As others have said; free shuttle to the busy side of town in day-- 200 bhat/pp in the evening. Plenty of options.

Oh-- got to go to the Fisherman's Village open street market on Friday night. Do not miss that experience-- i found out the hard way that is where the best bargains are and should have done all my shopping there instead of waiting for Chaewng or airport. Also, the shops at the Grandfather (guys don't you wish!!) with home made sweets was the best. Again, i waited to long. I should have gone back.

I tend to right long winded reviews-- being as honest as i can be-- good and bad; and i hope that this helped you like others have helped me.

If i go back to Samui; and not sure i am as there are many places to go in Thailand with beaches-- i will come back to the IBM and Choeng Mon area--

Tips: If you get there early--- no problems. I got in at 8 AM, normally to early to check in to most places, although some have said they have been able to-- it all depends upon what the hotel has available.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Never been to Koh Samui? hire private tour company to take you around the island. A taxi pickup is going to cost you at least 500 bhat-- so why not spend a little more for a personal tour.
I used samuiexplorer.com and Jack and Michelle did exactly what i wanted and not wanted. I am not into elephant riding/water park/snake shows-- but want to see all of the main island things to do. So, Jack picked me up, took me to the major sights-- explained some island does and don'ts and took me by their cafe for a late afternoon delightful smoothie then back to the hotel. Ask Jack to take you to the "miracle waterfall" at Tartan Falls-- for a good laugh. Otherwise-- they have the standard tours of elephant riding/etc. it is just that i have seen all that, and better to boot. My idea of Koh Samui's strength lies in its peacfulness, swimming and some night life. It is also a good booking point for dive/snorkeling tours if you don't want to go to the other islands like Koh Tao which are great diving sites. If you are lucky, Jack will also point out the good "local" Thai eateries-- went to a place and got full on 550 bhat-- for 3 people including beers!!!!!
Or another company

2. Go to the hotel-- room not ready? They will take your luggage, and show you to the AC changing room and go hang out by the pool. Start your vacation and don't stress. They will take your luggage to the room for you and let you know when it is ready.
Get a massage: either beach-side-- the girls usually open up at 930 or book a spa treatment.
Shoot pool or get your internet fix at the air con play room.
Drop your luggage off and walk the town-- plenty of AC places for a drink or bite to eat.
Beach food is usually ready by 11-- walk the beach or swim in the ocean. They will take care of you.

3. Book a tour: write the hotel ahead of time-- i did to reconfirm my reservations-- and they can set you up with a regular or private tour of this or other islands. Again, they will hold your stuff for you and try to make even your early arrival pleasant.

Because my airline of choice gets me there at 8 AM i thought i was going to have a problem. No, not from now on i know what to do. Start my vacation the minute i land. (oh, yes, the check in counter occasionally smiles also-- but smile or not you get a great shot of very refreshing juice-- cool towel don't remember, but i do know if you ask for something they will get it for you.)

Finally; learn a few Thai greetings-- it is fun and helps.

Room Tip: Some views on 2/3 floors but will have to walk up stairs. First floor not bad. Stuff very safe; but...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
11 Thank Thor54
DoekeBonga_Boathouse, General Manager at Imperial Boat House Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Thor,

Having recently returned from my own vacation, I wish to thank you very much for such an elaborate and thoughtful review. I sincerely enjoyed meeting you during your stay with us and on behalf of the entire team and myself, wish to express my gratitude for doing all the research and then choosing us :) Especially the 'imperial' classification is a great compliment. I'm happy to read you enjoyed the resort with all it's facilities & people and rediscovered pools. To save you and other guests the walk, we'll also be happy to send towels to the 'frog pool' aka 'monkey or garden pool' from the reception, which can be dialed using the poolside phones (dial 1). We're continuing English training, but good to read you got your adapter and that the staff made the required effort. Your comment on the late swimming was a good one and we've since become more flexible on late night swimming. The pools get cleaned in the morning, but guest can enjoy an early swim if they want to: our staff will happily work around them, wherever possible ;) Your comments are all very valid and from the team & I, we look forward to welcoming you again, should your travels take you back to Samui: "Pop gan mai" (means 'See you later')

Anniebrook
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Lovely location on Choeng Mon Beach, quiet little village, restaurants along beach and street, beautiful garden setting and lovely beach area, food excellent, plenty of choices for breakfast, lovely spa, great staff. Premier room was excellent had everything we needed including sun lounges on our balcony! Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor gives you a lovely breeze and view down to the garden pool
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sue J
DoekeBonga_Boathouse, General Manager at Imperial Boat House Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Sue,

Many thanks for your lovely review. On behalf of the team and I, thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed here for 10 nights after 3 nights in Bangkok - Great location!
There's plenty to see & do in Koh Samui for a little Island, all within easy reach of The Imperial Boat House.
Hotel is lovely with great staff. The breakfast is excellent as there is something for everyone no matter what your taste
The beach is fantastic, lovely & clean. Fantastic swimming pools too.
We recomend the Jungle Jeep Safari where you get to see most of the Island & have lunch in the mountains.
As someone said before there are a few stray dogs around the hotel & surrounding areas (harmless) but as we had explained to us ' This is a Buddest Country, you come to our Country you play be our rules we respect the animals & their freedom'..........What can you say to that point taken.
We stay here again if in Koh Samui x

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MsPortland67
Dear PortlandShah,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. It was a pleasure having you with us and I'm happy to see you spent your time exploring the island and getting to know the locals. The team & I look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Samui.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Hotel staff are friendly and helpful, but too bad they need to add more lighting at the lobby and replace all the bath towels that full of stain and look like yellow color which suppose white. Besides the restaurant by the beach is great, good food and live band.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less mosquito or pick the boat suite.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank samson w
Dear Samson,

Many thanks for your positive & constructive feedback. We'll take your comments on the lobby into consideration and are in discussion with our laundry supplier on the linen cleanliness. Happy to read that you liked the Captain's Choice restaurant and we hope to be able to welcome you back again one day.

Hampshire England
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for Eleven nights at the end of April 2013. The hotel is in a great location and the beach is very nice and in a lovely bay. The rooms are nice but I do think a little renovation will make them a lot nicer, as they are a little dated and the hotel public areas could do with a little TLC too. With a lot of other hotels on the Island I really believe this will benefit the hotel and make it a lot more appealing.
Choeng Mon Resort is very nice and plenty of restaurants to choose for a change if wanting to eat outside of the hotel.
There are a lot of Dogs on Samui but I must say the hotel dogs were no bother and kept away from guests unless they went to pat the dogs.
Staff are very friendly at the hotel and very accommodating, sometimes it was difficult to get them to understand our needs but we got their in the end.
We used the Spa at the hotel and I would highly recommend it, it is probably the best massage I have had anywhere in the world.

I would recommend the hotel and resort, as it is a good location on the Island to get around.

Room Tip: Premier Rooms are nice. Our rooms were on the third floor and we had no problems with hoise at all.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lesley01_13
Dear Lesley,

Many thanks for your lovely review. The team & I are very happy to read you enjoyed your 11-night stay with us in April. We're continuously working with our engineering teams on both the rooms and the public areas and are making progress, albeit gradual. Appreciate your comments on the dogs, staff and especially the spa. We are most grateful for your recommendation and hope to be able to welcome you back again one day soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Choeng Mon
#4 of 10 in Choeng Mon
Sea Dance Resort
Sea Dance Resort
#6 of 187 in Bophut

Been to Imperial Boat House Beach Resort? Share your experiences!