All reviews pool access room big buddha infinity pool private beach grand deluxe room shuttle service chaweng beach free shuttle rent a scooter jacuzzi bath shuttle buses close to the airport quiet area fisherman's village family mart our honeymoon fantastic stay
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Very quick check in. Excellent, huge villa. Room very hot on arrival. Internet ridiculously slow, and requires constant re-entering username and password. TV at an uncomfortable angle to bed, but crystal clear image on most stations, something I haven't seen often in Thailand. Bed much too firm for my liking, and I wake up several times at night due to numbed nerves in my arms and shoulders. Only two small bottles of complimentary drinking water per day.

Resort is literally at the end of the airport runway. Reception assured us the last flight of the day is at 22, and first at 07. Not so. Last night a plane roared off at 22:30, and most mornings I was woken at 6:15, even when using ear plugs.
The lock on our door didn't work our first days - had to remind reception several times before it was fixe.

Room tip: Pool villa is excellent, but ask if your patio gets any sun.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Deva Samui for three nights at the end of our trip to Thailand. We loved everything about our time at this hotel, but have to acknowledge some aspects of the hotel that might not be favorable for all travelers.

Our room was beautiful and clean with great air conditioning. There are at least three pools throughout the property and very comfortable deck chairs and beach chairs. The beach is cleaned every morning and the entire place is well maintained. They have sea kayaks that are free to use and we kayaked out to a nearby island on our first day. Although the beach doesn't lead to water that one would want to go swimming in, the pool is just up the stairs and serves the purpose for cooling off. Breakfast was buffet style and very good with numerous options.

Now, for the potential negatives. For some, the location might not be ideal. It's a 10-20 minute walk to Big Buddha Beach and a 15 minute shuttle or taxi ride to Chaweng (a beautiful beach). The hotel offers a daily free shuttle to Chaweng which we took advantage of. It seems that the standard cab fare is about 400 baht, regardless of distance, and we found that started to add up over time. The hotel also offers a shuttle service to nearby Fisherman's Village which is a nice place to get dinner and/or drinks (although the area is certainly geared towards tourists). Another potential negative of the hotel is that the staff isn't very helpful in suggesting potential day trips. However, if you know what you have in mind, they will make calls and arrangements for you. We did some quick googling and soon knew what ferries and day trips we wanted to arrange. You probably don't want to be over-reliant on the staff for trip suggestions, though. Also, wifi was spotty in our room, but worked well near the front desk and at breakfast.

For a traveller who is willing to be a bit independent and adventurous the negatives of the location are easy to overcome. We had a great stay and found Deva Samui and Ko Samui a lovely place to relax.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank els111
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I were in koh Samui for 6 nights to attend a wedding in the second week of July. We stayed at this resort the our last 3 nights. The resort was extremely disappointing for many reasons.
1. On arrival, the staff seemed lovely enough, however that was probably the only occasion we had staff smile or greet us in a friendly manner. It's a worry when the only staff member who was friendly was the scooter rental person from the resort.
2. Our room was fine, a deluxe room on the ground floor. View of a fence, which didn't really bother me too much. However, I felt for a 4 star resort, they would supply proper individualised packages bathroom necessities like most 4 star resorts, rather than filling up pump action containers of shampoo and conditioner. Unfortunately the conditioner bottle contained shampoo instead of conditioner which was annoying.
3. Buffet breakfast was average. Small selection of food and all three mornings, the choices were pretty much the same. The female chef cooking the eggs at the buffet could only cook one order at a time, rather then using both stoves and frypans in front of her, resulting in a substantial wait for your breakfast. Most resorts top up dishes before they are empty. My husband had to wait quite a while for bacon...not what you'd expect from 4 star.
4. Wifi was awful! It was just about non existent in our room. Sort the IT guy and he fixed it so that I could get wifi in the lobby. Not sure how practical that is, as I did not intend to spend my down time at the resort sitting in the lobby. I was told wifi should be fine in the room and it was probably due the there having been some rain earlier in the day. The rain the referred to lasted an hr and was only light. On sunny days, there was still no wifi.
5. Pool was sound, good sun lounges but terrible old, faded and frayed towels. There was a pool bar, but it was not in action and no one was present to serve guests. Not sure why it's promoted on the website as such a draw card when you can't roger or be served drinks from it.
6. Only 1 complimentary shuttle into chewang beach each day at a set time. If you want to go at any other time, there is a 100 baht fee. Other resorts offer a Free shuttle service if not every half hr, then at least once each hr. Better option is to hire a scooter. 200baht is a reasonable price at a resort.
7. My scooter was great! My husband's scooter was dodgy. The speedometer did not work, sitting on 0 Kms at all times, and the petrol gauge was also faulty, always indicating it was out of fuel. when I spoke to a staff member about the problems and asked if we could exchange his scooter for another, we were told it wasn't possible and that it was fine to drive it without a speedometer. Really unapologetic.

Our first 3 nights were spent at Nora buri resort. This resort was fantastic! Amazing rooms, great resort facilities, large variety at the buffet and lovely accommodating staff, bar one. Not too bad as that was the only negative thing we could think of for Nora buri. Oh, and the free wifi worked fine and All the pool bars were manned by staff and churning out food and drinks. We also stayed at the melati resort on a previous visit 2 yrs prior for our honeymoon ( 1 km down the rd from Deva Samui ) and that stay was also amazing! Friendliest staff you will meet anywhere! The general manager even invited guests down to the pool for drinks on the house at night once a week so he could personally greet and chat to all the guests.

So my honest recommendation is go elsewhere. There are so many other options on koh Samui.

1  Thank Gildedmemoirs
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have stayed here for a few days in a room with pool access. The hotel looks fantastic, and the room is better than in the photos we looked at before we arrived. The location is a bit off, but I would personally say it is the finest place on the island. Chaweng is a short trip with taxi away, and the hotel staff was very helpful in this regard. We did rent scooters and drove across the island, and I would definitely recommend that ! The restaurant has good food, both Thai and Western. We did also enjoy a romantic dinner on the beach. Great food, and a very beautiful setting. The spa was also perfect from the minute we checked in, until we were finished. Before arriving we read some negative reviews about the internet, but it has worked perfectly fine for us. Next time we return to Koh Samui, we will definitely book this hotel.

1  Thank Anne384
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We have stayed in Deva Samui for 6 days in the pool access room.
The room was nice with a direct access to the big pool which was great for out little girl.
When we checked in the room was not really clean so the housekeeping needs to improve a lot, we found some empty liquor bottles next to the toilet and behind the bath tub some old washing soap, I guess it was from the guests before.
What is good and tasty is the food quality in the restaurant, nice and fresh so nothing to complain about it.
The service staff on the other hand was a bit lazy, I guess it was because of low occupancy.
Whatever you need, you need to look for the waiter first and even simple drinks takes long time to arrive. Don't try the cocktails as you will be very disappointed.
If simple drinks as Heineken beer or fresh coconut was out of stock for couple days, even the supermarket down the road had this available, so service side was disappointing.
When we asked for a taxi to go to Chaweng Beach, the front office staff told me that there was no number for taxi service. And if we want to get taxi we have to go outside and look one for ourselves. They just want to sell you the more expensive hotel car and are not very helpful to find a regular taxi.
The hotel looks a bit old in some areas but is trying to keep up.
Its a good hotel value for money if you book early and get a good rate, if you need to pay full price I suggest to think again.

Room tip: Pool access room is good when you want to stay in the hotel to relax, otherwise the deluxe room which has a jacuzzi is fine and enough
Date of stay: June 2013