“A must if in Jolly Harbour area”

Shell's Double Decker Fish & Chips
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: LIVE MUSIC EVERY THURSDAY FROM 8.00 A bright red original 1959 London Double Decker bus. Located next to Sugar Ridge Hotel and just a 5 minutes walk from Jolly Harbour this icon is impossible to miss. The bus has been completely renovated and provides seating for 40 guests. We did our best to maintain the historic integrity of this British classic. Or sit outside enjoying the breeze in our lush tropical garden. Delicious fish, crispy chunky chips, homemade mushy peas and tartar sauce and finally some pickles give you the classic fish & chips experience. Beyond that we serve shrimp for those who are less into fish we are happy to offer succulent sausages and rotisserie chicken with any of our side dishes.
Ottawa, Canada
“A must if in Jolly Harbour area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Whether you're a fish & chips fan or not (rotisserie chicken option for those who can't eat fish or on gluten-free diets), you must visit this restaurant if ever in the Jolly Harbour area, for the experience alone.
Joe & his wife, who manage the restaurant, are some of the most wonderful people you will ever meet & make this place what it is. Every guest is made to feel like you're part of their family & Joe will make every effort to learn everyone in your party's name. Food is tasty & freshly made (and yes, the fish is from Vietnam but if sourced locally, for economic reasons, you would pay a small fortune for your meal, unless small scale arrangements were viable). Still ... some of the best fish & chips you will ever taste.
Highly recommended!

Dayton, Texas
“Best Fish& chips!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

It was by chance to eat at Shell's to begin with. We passed the double Decker bus a couple of times the first few days we were in Antigua. We had a fun filled day around the island & we were dressed for the beach still with cover ups. We didn't feel like going back to the hotel & getting dressed up just to go eat ( all inclusive too). So we decided to stop & take " our chances" @ Shell's. Wow, are we glad we did! The fish & chips is so good. We are American so I am not sure of the standards of fish, butI feel like I know what I am talking about because my husband & I offshore fish all the time @ home (gulf coast area) & eat alot of it. Lol. The amount of fish was more than generous, & so tasty. The price in my opinion was cheap I could of paid double & would not of thought anything of it. It was THAT good. The only thing my husband & I drank was rum punches & those were very good also. The owners were so pleasant & accomadating. The outdoor atmosphere was very inviting & refreshing. The skeeters were no issue outdoors. I understand you can also eat in the double Decker but why?? We inquired of the buggy tours because they were sitting right nearby & we ended up booking the tour & really loved it too. We liked the food, atmosphere & the owners so much we ate there a second time! Wayne, Joe & Lyndi are beautiful sincere people & went out of there way to make sure we enjoyed ourselves. We made good memories with new friends @ Shell's. Thanks y'all for making such an impact on our trip! Do you think I could get 2 fish/chips to go?

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank tmsan
Dunstable, United Kingdom
“takeaways not an option, you must eat there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

The service after meeting Joe our waiter was like being at your local home restaurant, he was friendly, welcoming and truly warm in his manner to us. We were going to just get a takeaway but glad we stayed. The fish was what you would expect from a fish and chip restaurant, lovely white fish, not local but very nice and portions were the perfect size. A great plaice (fish joke intended) to eat and service with a true warm welcome.

Toronto, Canada
“Such a fun local spot!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Quality fish and chips, fun atmosphere and SUCH nice family who owns it! Definitely stop in if you happen to be near the Jolly Harbor area (only open after 4 pm though).

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Who knew fish and chips could be so romantic?!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

I stayed with a friend at jolly harbour last week, so was most emphatic that we should sample Joes fish and chips at shells. She assured me they were the best fish and chips in the world. I had my suspicions that this hyperbole was misplaced. I was wrong.
Joe is a charming South African gentleman who runs this establishment with his equally lovely wife. A curious set up with a converted double decker bus offering indoor dining, we chose to sit outside, fairy light bedeck the plants, and lanterns dripping in shells give a magical twinkle to this al fresco setting. We had simple fish and chips...the fish is sway ( no idea how you spell it that's it phonetically )... Like cod but lighter and creamy tasting. The batter was thin and very crispy... Really delicious, chips managed to be chunky yet still crispy. It couldn't have been more simple...nor more delectable . Very reasonably priced. I recommend this place highly...good place to take a hungry family. Go there!

• Visited July 2014