“Food OK, shame about the owner!!”

Akropolis Greek Taverna
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2014

A PLACE TO BE AVOIDED LIKE THE PLAGUE UNLESS YOU LIKE CIGAR SMOKE AND VERBAL AND PHYSICAL ABUSE!!
We went with guests to the Akropolis and what concerned us was the fact that the owner was going into the kitchen area and behind the bar whilst smoking a cigar. We considered this inappropriate and objectionable and decided to give some feedback after our meal which was met with verbal and physical abuse to the extent that my husband was assaulted and his shirt torn. It is hard to believe that a customer could be treated in such a manner.
You might want to ask where the ten percent service charge goes.

2  Thank Joy W

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Other restaurants nearby were full, so the 2 of us thought a nice greek meal and bottle of wine would go down well (we weren't sure why it was barely a quarter full but we soon found out!!). We were given menus ans a few moments later were asked for "still or sparkling water??". Not unusual practice, but the response when we said we weren't interested in bottled water and a glass of tap water would be fine, was unbelievable. The first waiter audibly huffed and marched off, a few moments later we had his colleague. This time he asked the same question (no interest in drinks or any non water order) and told us that tap water was not drinkable. Having eaten at nearby restaurants the days before we knew this was not true as they all happily served a glass or carafe of water. The whole performance and confrontation was so pointless as all we wanted was some nice food and a bottle of wine.

We were both so uncomfortable with all this, and not too keen on the uninteresting menu in an almost empty restaurant, so we decided to leave and eat in. On the way out we thought we owed the owner an explanation as to why we were leaving, so I told him it was about the pushy bottled water selling - and that we were told that the water wasn't drinkable at his restaurant. When I pointed out that he was washing his salad in the undrinkable water and that the next door restaurant happily served tap water, he said we could go and be ill in their restaurant if we wished.

All in all an extraordinary way to drive customers away. The food may have been OK but the clue is probably that all others were full that evening. And I have to say that we have never before in 20 years of marriage, both felt a need to walk away.

4  Thank Lloub
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I ate at Akropolis 5 times while staying in Antigua during the month of February and loved every meal. I tried various appetizers and entrees and was never disappointed. My son-in-law is not a fan of Greek food, but he loved the Lemon Chicken. The wait staff was friendly and spaced delivery of the various courses. They were very attentive and recognized me upon my return. The setting was also beautiful and relaxing. I would go back again and again.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

2 star one location one for our company.poor service,limited menu no kleftico or stiffado,Meze starter for 6 charged for8 would feed 4!when questioned could not care less.mash peas and carrots not what would be expected with main courses. Two of us asked if they did meatballs for a main as it was only on starters, waiter said yes he could do that. Meatball main was meatball starter! When asked couldn't see the problem but asked if we wanted more. There were 3 meatballs, I declined anymore as they were dry and tasteless probably made with pork,not flavoured spicy lamb as in Greece. No apologies offered at the end of the meal. We paid and left and will not be returning.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Lovely setting for the "New Akropolis" after moving to the old Peter's Steak House premises at Jolly Harbour.
Setting is beautiful; Waterfront.
Professional and welcoming staff.
Service very good.
Food was good, but a bit pricey.
Visited twice during my stay and will be back.