“Great time felt like I was at a friend's house”

Akropolis Greek Taverna
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
“Great time felt like I was at a friend's house”
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

The chef/owner came out and welcomes us and went over the entire menu. She was out of several things but explained why. She wouldn't settle for substandard ingredients. Drinks were good. Food was wonderful. Great portion sizes. Wish we had room for dessert. Another restaurant said it was the only place they will go out to eat on antigua.

London
“Very passionate about their food and hospitality”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I visit this part of the island many times and this restaurant is relatively new. We ate there this week for the first time as my husband has many food intolerances and was worried about the Greek food not being kind to his digestion. However Vicky (the chef) was amazingingly accommodating and could not do enough for him. She sat with him and asked him many things about his requirements and came up trumps with a splendid meal of a huge pork chop, mash potatoes and fresh veg. It was perfect for him. Some passerby commented as he saw his meal "not very Greek is it?" but that is what he wanted. The rest of us had traditional greek food and it was delicious. The restaurant had a very relaxing ambience and the decor was typically traditionally Greek with Greek music gently playing in the background. You really felt you were on a Greek island for the evening and then you step down the stairs and back into the Caribbean once more. Thank you Vicky and we wish you every success that your hard work deserves. We will definitely return and would recommend everyone to try this restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
“We're we dining at a different restaurant???”
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

I'm not sure if we visited on an off night, but our experience does not mirror that of the other reviewers. The night we visited there was just myself and my husband and another couple with their teenage son. We were greeted as though we were an inconvenience shown to our table by a curly haired gentleman who grunted at us. We ordered drinks and no sooner had they been set on the table we were asked to order. The starters arrived promptly meatballs and hoummas which were both OK nothing special but nothing offensive. We had not finished eating the starters when our mains were brought out, this being about 15 minutes after arriving. The Moussaka had obviously been microwaved and for some bizarre reason had feta cheese on top bland tasteless with unidentifiable vegetables and definately not lamb mince. My husband chose the famous lamb shank which was inedible, congealed gravy over a microwaved lamb shank which had an odd gelatinous texture and lumpy cold mash potatoes.
An older man was walking in and out of the kitchen with a lit cigar. A man walked into the restaurant and a verbal altercation ensued which resulted in this man being thrown out. We felt we were disturbing the staff from their evening at the bar and didn't bother with dessert. Again I don't know why we had such a poor experience but I really couldn't recommend this place at all.

2 Thank Amelia121079
Toronto, Canada
“If you like "Lamb Shank" and great service.”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was down for a wedding and the first evening, waiting for the rest of the guests I dined at the Greek Taverna by myself. I ordered my favorite i.e. lamb shank and was totally impressed. It was delicious!. The service was prompt and friendly. All the staff was family with "mama" in the kitchen. I had a very good red house wine to compliment the meal.
2 days later with a bunch of friends, we went to another restaurant down the Marina, about 5 min walk. Again I and some others had the lamb shank. It was a different world. The service was really bad and the shank inedible. The next night we all went to the Taverna on my suggestion and the evening was a complete success. Everyone left very happy with their food and service.
Thank you to the staff and owners of the "Greek Taverna"!

• Visited June 2012
Burlington, NJ
“Awesome Food.”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This resturaunt was just great. The owners and servers were great. And the food was super. Not much more to say than that. You dont have to be a huge fan of Greek food either. They had steaks and other traditional menu items. We loved it.

Visited August 2012