“Perfect Honeymoon!!”

Sugar Ridge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Jolly Harbour
“Perfect Honeymoon!!”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husband and I spent a full week at Sugar Ridge for our honeymoon and it could not have been more perfect! We went from 19-27 May and in my opinion it was the best time to travel since it was the beginning of low season. It was wonderful being able to relax and not have to worry about crowds either at the resort or any of the beaches. The staff at Sugar Ridge is unmatched...they are super friendly, always willing to answer questions or give rides in the golf cart or in the shuttle to the beach. The accommodations are the best I've experienced anywhere in the Caribbean! The villas are beautifully appointed with high ceilings and gorgeous furniture and the bathrooms are very well done. I couldn't believe how spacious it was and the patio area was a lot bigger than I expected! Being at the top of the hill in the best villa at the resort the views from our patio were stunning!! The infinity pool at Carmichael's is both beautiful and affords the same stunning view. The day we arrived we were greeted warmly at the front desk, offered a refreshing drink, and taken up to our room where we found a complimentary bottle of champagne and a coupon for a free couple's massage (spa was WONDERFUL!!). We opted to forgo the all inclusive and just got the breakfast only plan. It was perfect! Breakfasts at the Sugar Club are delicious and there are so many options to choose from. We ate at the Sugar Club for dinner once and Carmichael's twice and thought the food was very good...other than that we found places off the resort. Sheer Rock is nearby and while expensive is a truely unique dining experience...you're literally sitting on the edge of a cliff overlooking the water! There is an Italian place in Jolly Harbor whose name escapes me now but they make the BEST wood fired pizzas! The fish and chips bus across from the resort is not to be missed either...truly a unique dining experience! And of course Shirley Heights on Sunday night. Best jerk chicken I've had! We really liked the Nest beach and got some tasty beer battered coconut shrimp and jerk chicken for lunch at the Nest beach bar. Took a tour around the island on the Treasure Island catamaran...would definitely recommend this but just be aware you go out into the ocean on the north side of the island and the waves get a bit choppy. All in all it was a perfect trip :) Out of all the islands we've been to Antigua is our favorite and we would love to go back and stay at Sugar Ridge :)

Room Tip: If possible get a room higher up the hill because of road noise. We lucked out with the best room...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ashley L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
London
Reviewed June 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed just 3 nights at Sugar Ridge and wished it could have been longer.
The beds and especially the pillows were so comfortable. We had the breakfast option which was very good and quite extensive from a fruit plate to the full works. Carleen made our stay very memorable. I would also like to mention Jackie who runs the exercise classes, what a lovely lady and very good at her job. Very bubbly, encouraging and enthusiastic - everyone should try and do one of her classes. On a downside, when we met with friends with a 3 month old baby for lunch, there is no access for buggies/wheelchairs and no baby change facilities. I know they are promoted as a boutique hotel, but it does somewhat limit their clientele so please give the baby change facilities some thought as this could easily be implemented.

Room Tip: All rooms are on a hillside which are all accessible by a hotel golf buggy service but if you are l...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel B
Cave Creek, Arizona
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and I just visited Sugar Ridge last week. We had such a wonderful time. The resort staff was super friendly. We especially loved Carleen for breakfast and Glave up in the bar at Carmichaels. The property was beautiful and we actually liked that it was not right on a beach. They have a wonderful guy named Vaughn that runs a beach shuttle and will take you one of 4 or 5 beaches. We enjoyed the option and not just stuck on the same beach each day. We did the breakfast option instead of the all inclusive and we so glad we did. They are so many great places around the resort to go to that we didn't have to stay on property to get our money's worth. We had a 1st floor room with our own private plunge pool, highly recommend that! It was a trip of a life time and Sugar Ridge and the staff made it unforgettable. Take a sunset cruise one of your days as well. Call Miramar Saling and ask for Kevin he is awesome. That was the highlight of our trip. A private cruise on 47 ft sail boat with Champagne and a private cove to snorkel in and explore!!!!! So awesome! We really loved our time and would definitely go back to Sugar Ridge if we are able to.

Room Tip: Room number 38 is awesome. Private with it's own plunge pool and a great view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nathan B
Plano, Texas
Reviewed June 13, 2014

So lovely! I took my mother to Antigua for Mother's Day and we stayed here for 3 nights after 4 terrible nights at Tranquility Bay.

This definitely was the complete opposite of T.B......in an amazing an awesome way. We had a king size room on the ground floor of our little bungalow so we had our own plunge pool. The room was beautiful. The grounds amazing. The staff was superb.

We also went for massages at the spa. While my mother loved hers I walked away sad....probably one of the worst massages of my life. I would go back but just make sure I didn't have the same lady.....I can't remember her name but it started with a T.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank 285taral
SugarRidge, General Manager at Sugar Ridge, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
We were delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay at Sugar Ridge and that you would want to return. We were also pleased to read that your Mother very much enjoyed her spa treatment, but that your treatment was very disappointing. All our therapist are Aveda trained, and in most cases have been with us for more than three years and I am extremely sorry that on this occasion it would seem that we failed to deliver. I have drawn you complaint to the attention of all our therapists.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We chose Sugar Ridge for our Honeymoon (traveled beginning of May 2014) based on the fact that we wanted a hotel with a little more privacy than a Sandals-type resort. We got everything we hoped for and more! First, the staff were AMAZING!!! We were so incredibly impressed by their hospitality and overall strive to make our experiences enjoyable. They definitely went above and beyond to accommodate any and all of our requests! A special shout out to Keewan (I hope that is the spelling) in the Sugar Club - he was terrific and made sure meals were timely and drinks were plentiful. He was great!
The resort itself is beautiful, but if you're looking to be on the ocean this isn't necessarily the place for you. We loved being nestled into the hillside and the shuttle to the beach was convenient. We stayed in a room up on the highest point near Carmichaels and the views were incredible. The higher the room, the better the views it seemed. There are fun pathways to discover that take you on shortcuts to avoid the buggy paths and the landscape is very well manicured.
The Carmichaels pool was my favorite. It has the most gorgeous views of the sunset, but it isn't always staffed to order drinks/food. The Sugar Club pool is much larger and is attached to the main area of the resort. The pool bar was great and we were able to order food poolside.
Now for the food. The food was truly wonderful!! We split our time between Carmichaels and Sugar Club. We had a few disappointments, such as running out of crab legs on seafood night but when it came down to the food itself, we had no complaints. The food at both restaurants was amazing! I'd highly recommend the oxtail ravioli at Carmichaels and the fried oysters on seafood night at Sugar Club.
The rooms were plenty spacious and housekeeping did a wonderful job making sure everything was clean. We loved having a plunge pool to cool off in after a hot day in the sun. A word of advice: the sun rises fairly early and therefore sets fairly early (set around 6:30pm while we were there) so make plans accordingly.
Our honeymoon was absolutely perfect and we truly loved everything about Sugar Ridge, we can't wait to return there for our one year anniversary (yes, we're already planning!)

Room Tip: The room numbers go to 60 - for the most part, the closer you are to Room 60, the better the view...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LVHtravels
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I travelled here on my own for some down time and it was perfect. The room was spotless, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for me. The Spa facilities are excellent as are the hotel surroundings. Reception staff organised all my trips and there is a regular shuttle service to some fabulous beaches. I would definitely stay here again, it's been excellent.

Room Tip: A room with a plunge pool is a must!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank Bacardidawn
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We spent 4 nights at Sugar Ridge in November and really enjoyed it. We had a room with a plunge pool which I would highly recommend. I know some people complain about them being cold but it was such a great thing after being out in the heat. It's nice that there are only a few rooms to a building which makes the place seem more private and secluded than it actually is. While the staff did seem a bit lackadasical at times everyone was really nice. Some were really attentive and others seemed to just take their time with things. Carleen at Breakfast was the best! She always started your day out with a smile and made you feel ready to take on the day. Both Kevin's were awesome as well. One drove us to beach every day (even though we had a car) We didn't do the all inclusive but didn't miss it. Carmichael's up top has a great view and the infinity pool is the place for sunset. 2nd best view in Antigua behind Shirley Heights down in the south. Absolutely beautiful sunsets. The restaurant itself had great food, unfortunately we waited about and hour and half to be seated even though we had a reservation. We kept being told 5 minutes (about 30 times). That was disappointing. It was almost 9 when we sat down and we had reservations for 7. Not to mention there we only 2 of us. We decided not to eat there again. The food was really good though. Not 2 hour wait good but really good. The restaurant down by the entrance was about just as good and we never waited. Though if you walk the path north to the north gate right caddy corner is Miracles restaurant which doesn't look like much but damn is it yummy. The lobster is to die for! The owners were really friendly as well.

While the hotel isn't on a beach, there are beaches right down the road and they are the best beaches on the island. We explored the whole island on our trip. The hotel runs shuttles for you if you don't have a car. The best days are Sun-Wed when the cruise ships aren't in. Though our shuttle driver took us to Turner's one day and it was packed with cruisers so we went down the road just another minute to another beautiful beach and it was barely being used. We really appreciated that. Only once did we call from Turner's to be picked up and waited for over an hour. Guess the message got lost. But on the second call he was there in less than 10 minutes. Need to remember this is the Caribbean and things run a bit slower on the islands.

We also had massages at the spa. They were fabulous! Completely relaxing and professionally well done. The spa is immaculate and very comfortable and the therapist were superb.

I've read some reviews about the pools being small and such. Yeah the lower pool isn't huge but it has some really comfy loungers to chill out on. But really if you are staying there you should be out enjoying the amazingly beautiful beaches a stones throw away. You can find pools anywhere, these beaches good luck. The infinity pool up at Carmichael's is great. Not huge but really awesome to float in and take in the landscape while people bring you food and drinks. Quite magical up there.

It's a great place for romance as some have said. Also on the best side of island with the best beaches. Not so big that you feel like just another number to them. I will definitely stay here again when I'm back in Antigua.

Room Tip: I really liked the plunge pool room. It was great to take a dip after being out in the heat. Along w...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Photojoe1
SugarRidge, General Manager at Sugar Ridge, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
We were all delighted to read your recent review. We clearly made a lasting impression. Carleen and both Kevin’s have been made aware of your very favorable remarks towards them, for which we all thank you. We were sorry to hear about you experience in Carmichaels where you had to wait an extraordinary length of time to be get your table. As you quite rightly said a table of two should not present a problem and would normally be easily slotted in. Quite what happened at the time I cannot explain, and having since spoken to Clifford Restaurant Manager he too cannot recall as your stay was in November. Like me he is very surprised and of course sorry and disappointed that it put you off eating in Carmichaels again during your brief stay. We are however relieved that it has not deterred you from making a return stay, when we will most certainly ensure that your experience in Carmichaels exceeds expectations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jolly Harbour
COCOS Hotel Antigua
COCOS Hotel Antigua
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
Jolly Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sugar Ridge? Share your experiences!