Sugar Ridge Resort
Jolly Castle Hotel(Jolly Harbour)(Great Value!)
$120
Orbitz.com
Five Senses Antigua(Jolly Harbour)(Great Value!)
$170
COCOS Hotel Antigua(Jolly Harbour)
$429
$89
$248
$165
  • Breakfast included
Galley Bay Resort & Spa - All Inclusive(Five Islands Village)(Great Value!)
$555
Bookit.com
TripAdvisor
1,172 results
All reviewsaveda spainfinity poolshuttle servicesushilocal beachesbeach shuttlenature walkcarmichaels restaurantall inclusive optionall inclusive plannest beachfree shuttlesteak nightmain restaurantbreakfast plansheer rocksland rover
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Other reviews do outline some of the small flaws with this hotel - but they fail to capture the joy of a stay here.

We had ten days here in Jan/Feb 2014, and would return in a heartbeat.

Interacting with any staff member was never anything less than friendly and totally efficient. It's not a five star resort so the service isn't fussy or over-attentive - which suited us perfectly.

As the website states, it is set into a hillside above Jolly Harbour - and there are a lot of steps which could cause a problem for some guests. However, we enjoyed the stunning views and sunsets as well as the strolls through beautifully maintained gardens.

The pools are quite small, especially the infinity pool at Carmichael's, but this really wasn't an issue. We swam in the pool most days in our second week, and were often the only people in the water. They're also fresh water pools - which was lovely.

The shuttle service to all the nearby beaches is superb (and the drivers always have hints on which spots are quieter on any given day - particularly important on cruise ship days) but you can also walk to the local beach in 10-15 minutes if you fancy a stroll.

We chose the breakfast plan, rather than all-inclusive, and we're glad of our decision. There are lots of lovely local restaurants within walking distance, and although the food at the resort was pretty good (see other reviews of the restaurants), it wasn't good enough to warrant staying in every night.

The breakfast was usually excellent - particularly the al a carte menu's buttermilk pancakes... The buffet breakfast was a little more hit and miss - the pastries could be quite dry and the quality of the fresh fruit varied day to day. The service at breakfast was ideal, relaxed but attentive - wait staff learnt that we wanted a tea and a coffee, and that I'd soon need a second pot of tea!

A couple of niggles - the aircon was very loud, and I didn't sleep at all the first night. Thankfully we realised that with the mosquito nets out, the ceiling fan on and the balcony door open, we just needed to blast the aircon for twenty minutes or so before sleeping. Also, as a few other people have mentioned, our shampoo wasn't replenished during our stay. We didn't raise this with anyone, as I'd brought my own, and my husband made do with shower gel - but it's an odd quirk in an otherwise superbly run hotel.

We had a wonderful time, both in Antigua and at Sugar Ridge. We would go back tomorrow.

Our only regrets are that we didn't take a nature walk with Vorn (we hadn't realised he would take us later in the day) and that we couldn't stay longer...

Room Tip: We didn't have a plunge pool - so I think our balcony was a bit larger and the views were stunning.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank moodyfloss
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This is a wonderful, small resort with nice facilities, decent food, and very friendly and accommodating staff. The gym is hands down the best I've seen at a resort of this size. The hotel is also in a good location and the rooms are large enough with very nice balconies (some have a plunge pool on the balcony), which is a nice bonus feature.

We enjoyed our stay immensely and would recommend it to family and friends looking for a nice, relaxing stay on Antigua or anywhere else in the Caribbean.

Room Tip: We did not do the all-inclusive option, which worked for us because we explored some of the other food options near by which provided for some nice variety.
2  Thank Lindsay K
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

I read tons of reviews before booking and arriving at Sugar Club and was excited for the hotel, but was very disappointed. Most of the people who work at the hotel are super nice, but it seems that there is some fundamental operational issue with this place.

We checked in no problem late in the afternoon, left the property to check out a local beach and came back to the hotel fogging the grounds for mosquitoes at dusk. They never let us know that this was going to happen and there were no signs about it. The hotel apparently fogs the entire grounds with who know what kind of pesticide every other day, but fails to tell the guests. We were caught right in the fog (think thick white smoke created by pesticides) and I am pregnant and was very upset about it. I understand that the hotel wants to eliminate the mosquitoes but they really need to tell guests about this. I can't believe that it is enjoyable for anyone to be caught in that smoke, let alone someone like me who is pregnant. Most warnings for fogging recommend people to stay inside with the AC off for at least an hour after fogging, so be ware!! After the fogging, and basically all of the time the property has this awful chemical odor. So unnatural and I had terrible headaches the whole time I was on the grounds. As soon as we left the property to go to the beach or dinner after 15 mins or so of clean air the headaches went away. Part of the reason why we booked this hotel is because it seemed to be out of the city and in a location where one would find fresh air. This is not the case. But, other hotels in the area (within 20 min driving) did not seem to have this same problem and when visited the air was clean and fresh. Not chemical and fake.

Aside from the fogging, we had a nasty cockroach problem in our room. They came out at night, as roaches usually do, and we found a few after dinners and then more in the morning. Yuck! Paying close to $600 per night for roach infested room is not my idea of a vacation

When our room was cleaned they never brought new shampoo. I tried to call reception in the early evening to ask for more. After 25 min of trying to reach them, I gave up and walked down the hill to the desk. They brought it up to my room after about another 15 minutes. But, I should not have had to call nor go down to retrieve it in the first place.

The only redeeming qualities:
- most of the staff with whom we interacted were very pleasant. (A few attitudes here and there, but the majority were excellent)
- the hotel is situated in the best beach part of the island. every beach within 15 min or so was amazing.
-breakfast at the hotel was pretty enjoyable. The omelets were very good and the waitstaff extremely nice
-the manager was very apologetic when I complained about all of the issues. We were supposed to stay longer, left 2 nights early despite the managers apologies and him trying to get us to remain.

Bottom line, there are a lot of good reviews, but just be aware that there are some fundamental issues and the hotel seems overpriced for what you get. Then again, I don't think I would stay for free in any hotel that fogs for mosquitoes without telling guests and allows them to inhale and walk right through those chemicals.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Lauren B
Keith M, General Manager at Sugar Ridge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

I was pleased to read that you were quite satisfied with many aspects of the hotel ,I am of course very concerned about the other issues.
It was quite clear when we met that you were extremely upset over the fogging which had taken place the evening before, and I cannot apologize enough and was so sorry to see you so visibly distressed. As far as I am aware all hotels in Antigua and much of the Eastern Caribbean undertake fogging at dusk on a regular basis which is why we have relatively few problems with mosquitoes. The information is clearly displayed in our Guest information directory, advising guests that we undertake this process three times per week. However, since meeting with you I have ensured details are added to the information given to our guests on arrival.
The roaches to which you refer to are the large ones which do from time to time take flight and are not to be confused with the small roaches found in – for example dirty kitchens. These large bugs are naturally found in the Caribbean, to find one in a guest room is quite unusual and I am very sorry that it happened to you.
I am sincerely sorry that your short stay did not give the experience that you expected.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed at Sugar Ridge for 3 nights to escape the February winter in NYC. The hotel is fantastic. The grounds are beautiful and rich in color and landscaping, the facilities are clean and decorated nicely, and the staff is superbly friendly and accommodative. I would highly recommend this hotel, particularly for the value relative to others in Antigua.

Room Tip: The Sugar Club has live music many Fridays and Saturdays from 9pm-12am, and so if you value an early bedtime, I recommend asking for a room farther from the center of the hotel. This said, the villas are spread out along the hillside, and so the farther from the center of the development, the longer your walks (which can be a bit much if you struggle to walk/climb hills without discomfort).
2  Thank PKD1006
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed at the Sugar Ridge for one week 6th to 13th February. The staff were attentive and very pleasant. The room was lovely and comfortable and well equiped, stayed in Room 20 which had a fantastic view across the lagoon to the sea. When we checked in our room had Hibiscus flowers placed around the room and bathroom a beautiful touch. Particularly liked the private plunge pool. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis. The breakfast was plentiful with lots of choice. Something for everyone. We also ate in the Sugar Club restaurant and Carmichaels both of which were very good with attentive service. We like to sample the local restaurants all of which were very good especially Shellys fish and chips! Will definitely stay at the Sugar Ridge again if travelling back to Antigua.

Room Tip: The rooms with a private plunge pool are great.
2  Thank Caz1954