“Magnificent”

Sugar Ridge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Jolly Harbour
“Magnificent”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

During my stay at this lovely hotel it was a wonderful stay,never been to the caribbean an I choose antigua and sugar ridge simply because a friend of mines spent a honeymoon there an say it was the best ever,an also talk about the boy with the million dollar smile which is clayon,when I came an see for myself it was indeed what I heard an expected clayon was the greatest I actually think he should become a supervisor with a smile like that,and the bartender prince what a great job best drinks ever.I am sure I would be back and I will recommend others that's sugar ridge is the place to be.

• Stayed February 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
North West
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Having stayed at numerous hotels in Antigua, this is probably about the best you can do without paying over the odds. It's not good for families with kids, especially young ones or those that don't like steps. Built on a hill side there are golf buggies to ferry you around but there's usually a wait (not that I used that service!) rooms are comfortable, food is good, gym and spa excellent. The pool even has a 25M line on the bottom for those who want to swim laps. It's close to a few bars, restaurants and a supermarket at Jolly Harbour, has a shuttle bus to the local beaches which are good and numerous.
The staff are very helpful and friendly with only one exception... the manager. He should take a lesson from those he employs. Think he's English, does the rounds at the breakfast tables with an attitude that shows little interest for you, the customer. He even let the door to the gym shut in my face as he went in, could see me struggling with my bike but just carried on. I was going to say something to him about customer service etc but thought it best to let everyone know about his lack of common courtesy instead. He's all that lets down an otherwise great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Skylord
Keith M, General Manager at Sugar Ridge, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay at Sugar Ridge, and for praising the staff. A great team in which I take some pride in building up over a three year period since Sugar Ridge opened. However, it would seem from your comments that I let the side down. I go in to the gym at 6.30 am before I am fully awake - otherwise I could not stand the pain. In all honesty I was unaware of you presence until, when I was on the treadmill, you aksed me to look after your shoes, whilst you went out on your bike. I do not recall anyone being behind me when I entered the gym, but I am sorry if I offended you in any way. I did speak to the gym instructor, prior to my leaving the gym to ensure your trainers were left in safe hands.
Pulaski, Tennessee
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Due to an American Airlines attendant mishap of tearing my husbands passport, we only stayed one night at Sugar Ridge before moving on to another resort. When we finally arrived, the staff at the resort for check in were wonderful and were anxiously awaiting our arrival. We were blessed to have reserved our trip thru Vacation Express and they kept Sugar Ridge abreast of all of our delays in arrival. Kevin T. was outstanding in getting us to our room (number 22) quickly and the room was so beautiful and the patio dipping pool was a perfect way to refresh ourselves quickly. The resort staff recommended that we dine at Carmichael's and Marion was so responsive to our needs before, during and after our meal. The meal was outstanding and the Crispy Duck Salad was fabulous. We enjoyed breakfast and our room location was such that we could walk down to the clubhouse and restaurant. However, when we would call for a ride, they were very prompt in coming to get us and take us to our requested location. Read reviews about mosquitos but we never experienced any major issues at our room location. However, it is best to carry bug spray. Hope to return to resort in the future. Only downside was that this resort was not on the beach.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a patio dipping pool. Well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We just returned from an amazing stay at Sugar Ridge Hotel in Antigua. The rooms and facilities were exactly as they seem on the photos. We stayed in Room 9 and it was located not too far from the main restaurant/office/parking so we didn't have to travel far. I wouldn't have liked it to stay in higher numbered rooms as I assume it was further away. Every rooms had great views of the beach, but you had to drive about 2-5 minutes to the beach. We actually chose this property because we were renting a car and it motivated us to go to different beach every day. Craig from the front desk was more than helpful, with a smile on his face every day and making a reservation for our day tour. Our server Vakasi from the dining room every morning was a treat, he had so much jovial personality and it just brighten up our day after being treated so well by such a great staff. I couldn't really give full 5 stars because when we tried lunch and dinner from here when we first arrived and everything was WAY too salty... We actually were very happy that we didn't get the All-Inclusive option, but breakfast was stellar every morning. Overall it was a beautiful hotel and we would love to visit again.

Room Tip: Choose room 9. It was close enough to the main area, but not too close.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank triptty
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Arriving at the resort at midnight, it was hard to see much but believe me , when the friendly staff member drove us up to our room up on the hill & we opened the door to our room, we knew we had chosen the right place in Antigua! Our room was beautiful with a big canopy bed, a very nice modern bathroom and a great big balcony. The next morning we awoke to a million dollar view...seriously! From our balcony we could see across the street to the caribbean sea where the most beautiful sky blue, turquoise waters awaited us. We also had a great view of the entire resort as well seeing that we were up on the side of a hill. Every aspect of the resort is beautiful too, from the restaurant to the lounge, to all of the pools, especially the infinity pool up atop Carmichaels restuarant which is on top of the cliff above the entire resort. The views from up there are actually 2 million dollar views. We spent 5 days in Antigua where we explored the island which we would highly recommend for visitors to do. We spent our fair share enjoying the resort but the island as well by taking a driving tour of the entire island in about 5 hours. It's good to see how others live and see the true beauty of Antigua! Von, the friendly native driver of the resort will gladly take you to the many local beautiful beaches, Jolly Beach being the most beautiful in my opinion, and great eating establishments. We would highly recommend eating at Oceans which is right down the street from the resort but skip OJ's which the drivers of the hotel will push hard. The food was not the freshest and you'll be eating on plastic chairs with plastic plates. Probably okay for a lunch spot but not a nice dinner. A good lunch spot is The Nest. If you venture a little further out, Cloggys for dinner, down in the English Harbour was one of the best meals I ever had. We were accompanied by 2 Chicagoans who are use to great food and they too loved their meals here. Plus the English Harbour, Shirley heights area is worth the drive. Getting back to Sugar Ridge....the food there was also very delicious. We ate breakfast there every morning and enjoyed one of the best dinner buffets ever! Overall the staff is pretty friendly too. Von the Mon is great and I highly recommend taking one of his walking tours. He is extremely knowledgable about all the plants, flowers and fruits that grow on the island. My husband and I had the time of our lives here and would gladly return some day!!

Room Tip: Most rooms are up on a hill/cliff so if you're older or not in good shape, have bad knees, etc...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We booked the Sugar Ridge for our Honeymoon in July and had the most Amazing time!! After an long journey and a busy check in at the airport, we arrived at the hotel to be greeted by smiling laid back reception staff and a nice cold drink. We got a golf buggy to take us to our room and shown around. The room was number 8, ground floor overlooking the pool area and beyond to the sea. The room was spotlessly clean and had everything we expected with a small plunge pool in the balcony that was great to relax in after a walk to the nearby supermarket in Jolly Harbour (upper floors don't have the pool and area tad more expensive? strange).

We booked on a bed and breakfast basis, for us this was perfect as it allowed us to eat out in and around Jolly Harbour most nights, which was cheaper and gave a more varied option. Make no mistake the breakfasts and meals on offer in the sugar Club are great but maybe a little repetitive over the course of 12 days. We tried the upmarket Carmichael's restaurant twice during our stay and the food was amazing. However, for us, nearby places such as Miracles and The Greek Taverna offered amazing food and an unusual dinning experience!

The staff during our stay were amazing. Carleen, Clayton, Sherif (I think that's his name, going to become a pilot) were a delight. The enigmatic Worn was great help and worked tirelessly on his shuttle and offers great help and insight into all things local.. Rum punch, the islands main tipple other than Wadadli can lead to memory loss, especially if made by Prince!

We tried 5 different beaches during our stay and although all were great, Freyes Beach just at the coco bay hotel our favourite, crystal clear waters, great for snorkelling and no pesky jet ski sellers helped. The beach bars on hand at all beaches were perfect for a quick lunch and drink.

The entertainment in the Sugar Club offered something different most nights and let us mix with various other couples and staff, this was a particular highlight for us and we did meet some great people, who, similar to ourselves just wanted a relaxing time with freindly like minded people.

I would return to the Sugar Ridge one day, being our first visit to the West Indies/Carribean we would like to try other countries, however it will always hold a place close to our hearts.
People giving this Hotel bad reviews might need their heads examined, yes it's set on a hill, yes it's a few hundred metres from the nearest beach but there are golf carts available to be taken to your room 24hours a day and a shuttle jeep will drop you off and pick you up from any local beach every 20mins! The gardens in the hotel are fantastic also, so a short walk to the room is very pleasant. Maid service daily is expected but excellent all the same.

If your considering booking this hotel, do it.

Joe and Diane

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joeandiane
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Sugar Ridge is Beautiful but there is so much more to explore in the local area. Take a left out of the property gates and drive or walk a short distance to the Oceans Restaurant. It has just opened and serves local seafood dishes, including live local lobster. Every dish we had was amazing and the owner took the time to meet us and share some of his passion for food. A little further up the road you will come to Darkwood Beach, the pineapple farm and a beautiful drive up to the views from Shirley Heights. Antigua is quite small and many of the attractions are not far and well worth the time.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village

Been to Sugar Ridge? Share your experiences!