Quite plainly, phenomenal. I visited Sugar Ridge with my mother and aunt to unwind after a brutal examination. As such, I was looking for a charming hotel with superb food and a boutique feel. Sugar Ridge delivered on every level. We were all-inclusive guests and the experience was worth every penny and then some.
The Staff - Extremely accommodating, as no request was too unreasonable. We had early flights into Antigua and late flights out. We had no reason whatsoever to worry about check-in and check-out, as Iesha at the front desk was welcoming and understanding. Unparalleled politeness and courtesy from each staff member, from Clayon at breakfast, to Cynthia in the spa, to Rodayne and Kevin on the golf carts to Sparkle with our drinks. Vorn even took us to see the seafood fest that was taking place that weekend. Even the General Manager took time out on two occasions to chat with us and ensure that our holiday was satisfactory. I would name everyone if I could - we were that impressed!
The Hotel - For our purposes, it was perfect. The bedrooms have a very zen-like feel - chic, relaxing and airy. The bed was glorious, the toiletries were ample and the storage space was more than adequate. For those looking for more storage, the foot-stool doubles as a trunk. Just untie the net at night so there's no need to fret about the mosquitoes. We did not use the pool but Sherwin offered us pool-side service, even though we were quite a few feet away from the pool area. If you stay for four nights or more, please take advantage of the complimentary treatment at the spa - heavenly. The gym instructor is a darling. I was peeping through the glass walls of the gym and she invited us in and explained the array of activities - zumba, yoga, and the list goes on. The grounds are even more beautiful in person than in the pictures - Kudos to the ground-staff.
Food and Drinks - We dined at Sugar Club, Carmichael's and two beach bars: Turner's and the Nest (all of which were included in the AI package). All dishes at Sugar Club (with exception of the risotto) were exquisite and the manager was consistently attentive, asking you about what you liked/did not like about your meal. The sushi rivals that which I had in Hong Kong - it's that good. The Ridge Roll in particular was divine. We are a laugh-loving trio and Kiwaan at Sugar Club had us doubling over at our tables on many an occasion.
This is debatable but for me, Carmichael's offered more in ambiance than it did in food. It was still lovely and I had the best mango margaritas there. Great hot wings and beastly cold Carib at the Nest and wonderful fish cakes at Turners. Drinks were mixed exceptionally well and if you can't choose, the bartenders are willing to concoct something tasty for you.
If you aren't high strung about trivialities, and you want a luxurious spot with savory food, great service and a relaxing atmosphere, this is the place for you. My mother is already planning her return trip and we've told everyone who will listen about the fantastic time spent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Antigua’s newest boutique hotel nestles in a sugar cane-bordered natural hillside with stunning views of the surrounding landscape and the turquoise Caribbean Sea. Designed in contemporary colonial style, rooms have private large verandas, plunge pool and full amenities. An Aveda™ spa provides the latest in holistic therapies; a gym, 3 swimming pools, trendy Sugar Club bar/restaurant and the more formal Carmichael’s, make Sugar Ridge the place to be. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sugar Ridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Ridge Hotel Jolly Harbour
- Sugar Ridge Antigua/Jolly Harbour