“Stylish and tranquil Sugar Ridge”
Review of Sugar Ridge Resort

Sugar Ridge Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Jolly Harbour
Reviewed May 19, 2011

An excellent 4 star hotel at very competitive rates (even better if you can get discounted rates from your tour operator or airline) Immaculate rooms with lovely views. Great bathroom with lovely toiletries. The Spa might take more business if they actually provided a price list of treatments (in room, in spa even!!), just a thought guys...Bar and restaurants have a great ambience and are very well furnished. Lovely crystal clear pools, loads of loungers and umbrellas so enough for all. Very flexible shuttle to nearby beaches. Excellent service, with a smile, from all members of the team. Service in the bar too slow, it was not that busy! Food quality really good. Better than expected, please be aware that some of the reviews just do not reflect reality. This is a great 4 star venue that is not trying to be something it isn't and my experience definitely stacked up to the website promises. GRIFF

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
22  Thank GriffLondon
Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

Reviewed May 10, 2011

My wife and I wanted to go to have a nice vacation and spend quality time together but instead we feel that we were fooled by all the great marketing the department of turism does in that island.

First of all, natives/locals are NOT friendly at all. At our arrival, the customs agent did not even say "hello" or "welcome to antigua" nothing.... he seemed mean. We proceeded to take a taxi to the hotel and asked the dispatcher how much it was and he said $24 and gave us a receipt. But, after I put our luggage in the taxi (driver never even tried to help), I see someone else's luggage beeing placed on top of ours in the taxi. The dispatcher wanted us to ride with other "local people". I said...no no! this is a taxi NOT a shuttle. He finally agreed to have the taxi for ourselves only. However, after 5 minutes, the driver started arguing with me because he wanted to increase our agreed price. They are a bunch of thiefs!!. Locals don't seem to appreciate turistsm ...They see a turist and they just see an opportunity to scam him/her. They're really stupid because 90% of their tiny economy is turism.

So, we got to the hotel.... Sugar Ridge seems amazing in the pictures on their website and advertisements. The pools are small but I must say they are somewhat nice, but the resort faces a main road, so you hear traffic the entire time. The views are nice, but the property is not on the beach. And, at night there is a lot of noise from frogs that kept my wife awake almost the entire stay. She managed to sleep little during the day.

The food and service at the property is terrible. There was only one or two employees that were friendly (Sparkle), everyone was lazy, unhelpful, and rude. The food (if available) is terrible. They kept running out of noodles to make pasta and mango to make mango daiquiris. How can you run out of noodles or mangos? It's a tropical island....wow!! The food is flavorless.

I would strongly recommend to stay away from Antigua and Sugar Ridge. I did not feel safe in the island and the food and service at the resort were a big dissapointment. I feel as if the island is a scam. Did I mention everything is extremely expensive? We were glad our vacation was over. It's really sad.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank The-turist1
Management response:Responded May 20, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

We were disheartened to read your review and discovered that you did not enjoy your stay at Sugar Ridge or Antigua. It is saddening as previous reviews from past travelers to the island or the resort indicate otherwise. However, we will certainly pass your comments to the Ministry of Tourism. It is no secret that we are not located on the beach; however, we do offer a complimentary, round-trip shuttle to any of the beaches; the closest one is a two-minute drive. Our most respectable driver and guide, Vorn is known for suggesting the best beach spot.

Our bedrooms are wrapped into four areas of the resort, offering a diverse range of spectacular views and privacy. Had we known you were unhappy with your room, we would have certainly made arrangements to re-accommodate you.

Sugar Ridge prides itself on the friendly and attentive staff, exceptional service, quality and quantity of products, and warm atmosphere available to all of our guests, and we regret that you did not get to experience this during your visit. We will also keep your comments in mind as we continue to improve Sugar Ridge.

Best regards,
Keith Martel
Sugar Ridge, Antigua

Reviewed May 5, 2011

We have just returned from another fabulous week at Sugar Ridge. (For more in depth review about the hotel and the set up see my review on the 17th Jan) This time we went with another couple who were equally impressed - it's always a worry when you recommend somewhere, but luckily the hotel lived up to the hype we had given it.

We found we spent even more time at the hotel, as opposed to the beach this time. The infinity pool was amazing and sitting there drinking cocktails was utter luxury.

We were travelling with our infant son, so a lot of these comments relate to our experience travelling with a kiddie. But here are just a few of the little extra things that show the quality of service was second to none:

The lovely Carlene bringing us iced water poolside when she saw we'd finished our meal, it was like she read our minds.

The impeccable Clayon bringing a mini delicious coconut smoothie for my son when I ordered one for myself.

After a meal in the harbour, Kevin picking us up within 5 minutes of a call to say we'd finished our meal. Whilst my husband and friends went to the bar, he accompanied myself and my sleeping son to our room, helping with the pushchair down the stairs.

The visibility of the manager, Keith. He hosts a cocktail party one evening and is often seen at breakfast and around the hotel chatting to guests

A bottle of Fizz and a complimentary massage provided as returning guests was a very nice touch. The massage with Chi Chi was incredible

The state of the art gym, where my husband had personal training with Fiona, who he considered was one of the best trainers he's had, all at a very reasonable price. She even offered me tips free of charge when I was working out.

An insect net for the cot, (we brought our own last time, but they they now provide one)

Breakfast time, every morning I gave my baby's dirty dishes to the staff to rinse for me, which they always did with a smile.

One of the staff going all the way back down to reception when we discovered we'd forgotten our towels for the inifinity pool.

The cleaner, Izola, playing with my little boy whilst I took a quick shower. She was such a lovely lady.

Countless other gestures of kindness towards our little boy. There was not one member of staff who didn't know his name.

Marcia the lady at the front desk coming immediately to the room when we notified her of a problem with the safe (which was entirely my fault!)

Jackie the fabulous fitness instructor, Brilliant classes and when in the gym she'd bring a towel and water over if she saw you were without.

When I was the only one to show up for the Yoga class I ended up with a one to one yoga class.

The hotel taxi driver John Henry, the smoothest driver on the island.

Janine, Natasha, Sherwin, Kevin (x2), Latoya,...too many people to remember, but not one who's service wasn't fantastic. They were all very professional, but with a natural way about them that you just couldn't teach.

I'm sure other instances of the outstanding service at Sugar Ridge will come to me after I finish writing this.

But if you really want to find out how good it is, just go and see for yourself!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Flygirl70
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Really great hotel which was immaculate and friendly. Was on an all inclusive package which was amazing value, food was fantastic at Carmichael's and the sushi was great, all included in the deal.

Service was steady but friendly, after all this is the Caribbean! Vorn was a true legend escorting us to the beach daily and erecting the infamous brollies! Would return at some point but the world is a big place!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I am staying at the Sugar Ridge Hotel now, 4/23 - 4/30/11. The room is beautiful with very modern decor. The rooms look exactly like the pictures on the hotel website, however, I will say that I thought they would be larger. They are not. So far, the downfalls, are that the water in our room is not hot at all. I've called the front desk twice and been told someone would be over in 10 minutes and so far nothing. I'm also a little dissapointed that they aren't dressers or drawers to store your clothing. Just a closet. I also didn't realize until we arrived that the hotel only provides room cleaning once during your stay. Hopefully, we can at least obtain fresh towels. On the plus side, the grounds are beautiful, the views to die for. I wished we had the plunge pool on our patio because by looking at the one below us, it is very deep and would be nice for quick afternoon cool off, and you still get a pretty good view from your patio even though you're lower. The pool at the Sugar Club restaurant is absolutely amazing. I will continue to update my reviews as we continue our trip, otherwise I will forget when we get home and since I relly on Trip Advisor a lot I figure it's only fair to share my opinion as well.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
19  Thank Luv2travel062270
Reviewed April 12, 2011

My wife and I travelled to Antigua in late March and stayed 4 nights at the Sugar Ridge Hotel. This hotel was a nice option for us since we did not want to pay $1000 /night and it fit with our plan to rent a car and explore the island so we didn’t need to be on the beach. News flash: Resort NOT on beach (cracks me up people actually couldn’t figure that out) I would highly recommend renting a car to explore but request a truck if possible and avoid renting from Avis (the car they gave us was disgusting and falling apart). The first thing they do is show you where the spare tire is in the car since the roads in Antigua have huge crater pot holes and will easily blow out your tire.
Sugar Ridge is located about 20 mins from airport on the side of a hill/mountain overlooking Jolly Harbour. The pool area is nice with trendy Crate and Barrel furniture. Spa looked nice but we did not use and the gym was state of the art. The views and the balconies are better from the upper rooms, def skip on the first floor plunge pool room since they are not heated (thank you to other reviewers). We did the breakfast plan and the breakfast was delicious everyday we got something different. (It’s a real breakfast made to order not buffet or limited items) Lunch and dinner at the Sugar Ridge Club was good also. Dinner at Carlmichaels was also good and def worth the views at night as long as you can deal with the height and no walls (bothered my wife a bit). I would also recommend heading to Al Porta for some decent Italian which is literally 5 mins away. We ate lunch at the Asian place at Carlisle Bay also which was really good (beautiful resort).
We drove to different beaches everyday one more beautiful then the next. Some are affiliated with the hotel and others you have to pay for chairs. We avoided Castaways down in Jolly harbour (because it was more crowded) , we would recommend The Nest although it does get cruise shippers it has the most trees and shade, Darkwood beach, and we really enjoyed Gibson’s which was very small and private. There also is a grocery store as others have mentioned (within walking distance or 2 min drive) where we stocked up on water and snacks for the beach.
Lastly the staff at Sugar Ridge were very nice and always smiled and said hello. Thank you to the staff for making our stay comfortable and relaxing. The only minor problem we had were some charges on the bill that should not have been charged, mainly the water which is not in the room so keep an eye out (they removed the charges no problem). Overall, we were very happy with Sugar Ridge and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Avoid the plunge pool rooms and get the top level