“Never judge a hotel from the outside !!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of VIK Gran Hotel Costa del Sol

VIK Gran Hotel Costa del Sol
“Never judge a hotel from the outside !!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Hotel looked a bit dier from the approach to the hotel but once inside the hotel it was very nice
The room we had was on 2nd floor right opposite the pool which had the beach not 50yds away! (Access through gate which opens with your room card key) BRILLIANT! Food very good,Buffet style meals hot and cold, plenty of choice(Excelent if you are a big eater like me)!
My only gripe is the barman running the pool bar such a happy man!!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Dave P
VGHCS, Director de Recepción at VIK Gran Hotel Costa del Sol, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Dave,

We are very greatful for your time to let us know your opinión, it is very important for us as it helps us to improve our services. Furthermore it let us know our weaknesses which is a first step for improvement.
It is a pleasure to know that you were very happy with your room, our perfect situation, the plenty choice of good food in the restaurant and especially with our friendly staff.
Your opinión motivates us to keep on working hard.

We hope to see you soon again.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
banbury
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

We have just retuned from a 3 night stay at this hotel. We had a super deal through Travel republic travel agents, on a bed and breakfast basis. The hotel is situated well in Cala del Mijas. The room was a good size, clean, the bathroom a good size also. We had a sea view room. We were staying to meet up with family who live in the area. We found it handy for getting around. The only downside was the breakfast. There was a variety of items, but the coffee and tea was not nice, the sausages bland. Orange juice was tasteless. One morning we went to Snack Attack to have breakfast, which was better. But we would stay at the hotel again and there are plenty of good places to eat round and about.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Client,

Thanks for your time and for let us know your personal opinión abour your stay here.
It is very nice to know that you will come back soon, thank you also for recommending us to other travellers.
It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay at your big sea view room with a very spacious bathroom.
Thank you for your suggestion about our breakfast, we will study it clearfully in order to improve our services.

Looking forward to see you soon

Kind Regards from sunny Cala de Mijas
Hertford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Decided to go on holiday with the family as a last minuite and wanted somewhere near and hot.
Weather great, check in great arrived in afternoon, room was also good. Extra pillows, blankets etc if you needed them. Fridge in the room also helpful especially if you have young children.
Bathroom towels old rough and very small which just covered your behind, otherwise bathroom was good and a toiletry box full of shampoo, showergel etc, beds comfortable enough.
Just the look of the food told me what lay ahead for the rest of the holiday. Looked like slops of food chucked on trays piled high, salads, You could tell from the grated carrot and beetroot that it was off and had changed colours, not sure how many days it had been lying around!!!
Pasta well done with cheap sauces, pork, pork and more pork, I piled my plates in the hope of finding something i could eat and it always ended in the bin, plate after plate after plate. The wastage of food could be looked at and money put in to decent food. The hotel needs to look into this. One night they put rotting pineapple on the dessert area, Absolutely disgusting. On several occassions i did not feel great stomache wise, but was not sure what it was. Restaurant staff rude huffing and puffing, making facial expressions, rolling their eyes at you just for asking something, Some staff need customer service courses to learn how to deal with the paying customer.
Breakfast was probably the best because you cant go wrong with eggs, crossants, pastries and fruit. Bacon was the cheapest bacon possible, (10 rashers 1 Euro) in the shop down the road. Just shows you the quality of food being offered. We went to several supermarkets and saw on offer amazing produce which was not being offered at the hotel.
We missed lunch on several occasions and also missed dinner as well and ate out. so when you add all the extra you pay for eating out the holiday does not really work out a great deal...

Carpark empty as you have to pay 10 Euro a day to park there, Really, not only are you a paying quest but you also have to pay for parking!

Pool Bar closed on 1st November so if you are at the pool all day there are no drinks to hand and you have to go in and go to the 1st floor for drinks, bar man very rude and sarcastic. Should not work there if can not be polite. Drinks on offer were limited, coke, 7 up, orange, beer, 3 cocktails and spirits. crisps and nuts. Anything decent you would have to pay for it.

Snacks (NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION)

I would not expect to pay anything more that 50 Euro per day, anyone payng 100 per day has overpaid for this holiday.

I would definately go back to Cala de Mijas, would i go back to this hotel, NO... I definately would not. I have had better quality food from a 3 star hotel in spain, why pay all inclusive when you cant have anything to eat or drink? give this one a miss and choose somewhere else unless youget this at a very good deal and dont mind eating out.

Room Tip: If you got that good deal!!! Make sure your room is poolside with the lovely views over the ocean an...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rojo306
VGHCS, Director General at VIK Gran Hotel Costa del Sol, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your comment about your stay at our hotel.
It is very nice to hear that you were happy with your room and our extra service of mini fridge, toiletry box and our great situation.
I feel sorry that you did not enjoy our tipical spanish food.
I can assure that this was an excepcional case. Our staff is always friendly and very helpful I think it was a misunderstanding. I cann assure that our kitchen staff is cooking daily with fresh and national ingredients.

We hope to see you again

Travelers are raving about these La Cala de Mijas hotels

Southport
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I spent five days with mum for Oct half term at Gran hotel Mijas and I think it was a waste of money. We travelled with Easyjet holidays, it was a last minute booking but we paid just over £500 each for 5 days. It is rated as 4 stars but I wonder how long ago it was awarded them as it is really a bog standard three star. The rooms are quite small, no room for a chair, while decently furnished in contemporary colours, it's nothing special. The bathroom is well fitted but beware the towels are more like emery boards, very thin and scratchy. we stayed all inclusive but the all inc choices were very limited, only about 3 alcoholic cocktails. The reception and dining room are below ground level so seems very dark, to get to the pool area one has to come out of the front of the hotel walk down the side of the hotel. The pool area overlooks the beach but the pool itself is small and too shallow to swim in it's more of a kid's splash pool. The hotel is right on the beach, ask for a room with even no. as they overlook pool too. All rooms have sea view but odd no's have view of rain drain alongside hotel which had a pool of stagnant water. A highlight of our trip was watching rats swim across it, we had a clear view from both our room and the first floor bar. I'm not sure whether it was just the time of year or if it was a result of this channel of water but we were pestered with flies the whole of our stay. We are not fussy eaters so we always found something to eat but have seen much better.
Apart from the toiletry samples in the bathroom I don't see why this had 4 stars, it's obviously trading on past glory. It was very busy when we stayed with a good mix of nationalities including an American tour group, we found most staff helpful but one blond receptionist was anything but. We had booked a private transfer to the hotel and they said they would send the hotel a fax the day before departure with the pick up time, when I went on the due day she informed me that no there was no fax and that faxes cost money. When I went later in the day to explain my key card wouldn't work she told me it was because I should have checked out and she showed me my room with someone else's name on it and promptly sat down behind the high desk. I had to ask to speak to someone else and with some huffing she went and got a manager who agreed I had another day and came with me to check my key. We just wanted a pleasant restful few days in the sun with good food, views, a break but we came back in need of another. I have never been in a hotel with so many Do not... warnings to its clients. so I would add another and that would be Don't stay here, There are better resorts with better facilities, promenade, beaches just a few miles further up the coast.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with an even number, pool view
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank backpackernot
VGHCS, Director de Recepción at VIK Gran Hotel Costa del Sol, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and for your comment about your stay.
It is a pleasure that you were happ with our location and our helpful staff.
I feel very sorry to know that you did not enjoyed your stay here. We are a 4 star hotel and of course in every country the caracteristics are different - therefore you can not compare a 4 star hotel in Great Britain with a 4 star hotel in Spain. I can assure you that we have a high quality of services and infrastracture in our hotel. All of our 300 hotel rooms are very spacious and offer a relaxing terracy and a big bathroom. As our hotel is in the first beach line situated our guests have the possibility to enjoy the sea in order to this our pool is a place for refreshment.
I feel sorry that you did not have the possibility to enjoy relaxing holidays at our excelent situated hotel.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

The fact that this was our 4th stay at this hotel & I am looking to book our next visit shows that I would definitely recommend a holiday here. For the price you pay to stay here I can't understand how people complain - rooms are large, clean & have views of the Mediterranean, waiting & bar staff are friendly (try giving them a smile) especially to children, entertainment is varied (enjoy it!), there is a wide range of food to choose from (masses of salad, continental or cooked breakfasts, always chips, pasta, potatoes and bread for the unadventurous, fresh fruit, ice cream and amazing fish showcooked every day), a safe pool ideal for children and a superb location next to the beach. I must make a special mention (and 'thank you') to the Entertainment lady (Natasha, I think) who offered extra activities to us and another family, giving us another go at rifle shooting before we left for the airport - she is lovely! I stay at this hotel with my two children and feel safe & relaxed. My children enjoy it and are looking forward to going again next year!

2 Thank jojoshmade
Dear appreciated Guest,

Thank you so much for your fabolous comment and your high votation and recommandation to other travellers.
Is is so satisfying to know that you enjoyed your relaxed holidays with your familiy here.
Also it is a pleasure to know how you value our staff (especially our animation staff), our excellent locaton, the variety of food and our infrastracture.

We are really looking forward to see you again

Nice Regards
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Just back from a 3 day stay at the VIK Gran, a last minute get away for some winter sun. I was pleasantly surprised by the bedrooms,which were spacious and clean, the free wifi and on the beach location.

However as others have said the food was uninspiring and often cold. The entertainment was also poor and the pool was cold, shallow and tiny.

Disappointingly the hotel offered no shower facilities for those with a late flight.

The resort was very quiet being out of season with very little to offer, although the Irish bar was a good craic on a Saturday night.

Overall value for money in terms of what we paid for an all inclusive break. But we won't be hurrying back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear client,

Thanks a lot for your time for let us know your personal opinión about your stay.
It is a pleasure to know that you were very satisfied with our excellent beach situation, the spacious room, the cleanliness and the good Price value.
As you stayed in our hotel in Octuber it is quiet logical that the pool wáter was not that hot like in summer months. I feel sorry that you did not enjoy our fresh and national Spanish food.
Our animation team is always trying to provide a programme for all our clients wishes.
To our late chek out clients we offer a pre reserved room to take a shower. It is very important to reserve this service at it is just posible if we have availibility.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Came here on a cheapo EasyJet deal, last-minute, for half term break. 3 nights, father and daughter, about £300 flights and one hold bag included, twin room half-board.
Room is clean and more than adequate. Side view of beach and lovely sound of the waves breaking. Safe key €11 extra for 3 nights. Breakfast not bad, plenty to eat. "Dinner" variable, help yourself. Tonight's was good, most things hot, last night not. Cheap online upgrade to full board probably worth it if you drink, even if you skip lunch. Half-board comes with no free drinks, full- does. Free parking readily available in square next to hotel, not worth paying their €10/day.
Otherwise pretty ordinary. Plugly building, staff only slightly interested. They cater for hundreds of punters on cheap packages, mostly German and Dutch this week it seems, mostly 60+. No young children to speak of.
Old television in room, 2 BBC channels, the rest various Dutch German French and Spanish. Pool outdoors and very shallow; more a big paddling pool.
Worth what it cost. 4 stars? Er...not unless Basil Fawlty is suddenly a ratings agency.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rocketlol
Dear Laurence,

Thank you to let us know your opinión about your stay.
Our clients opinión is very important to us, as it helps us to imrpove our services.
It is a pleasure to know that you were satisfied with our spacious rooms, sea view and the breakfast.
For the safe we keep a deposit of € 5,00 which you will get back when cheking out.
The safe Price is € 2,00 per day. We are a international hotel, for that we have clients from all over the world.

We hope to see you again soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Cala de Mijas
Hacienda Puerta del Sol
Myramar Fuengirola Hotel
Myramar Fuengirola Hotel
#6 of 37 in Fuengirola

Been to VIK Gran Hotel Costa del Sol? Share your experiences!