VIK Gran Hotel Costa del Sol
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
CalaMijas Hotel(La Cala de Mijas)
View Hotel
Hotel Carmen(La Cala de Mijas)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
Club Delta Mar Crown Resort(Sitio de Calahonda)
1,386 results
All reviewssaladall inclusive drinksmeal timesplenty of choiceporksea viewchoice of foodcosta del solplenty of storageirish barcleaned every daypool sideshort breakbrilliant hotelgreat holidayfamily holidaybars and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The hotel has an excellent location. Is right on the Mijas beach. If you are going there by car you can have a problem with the hotel location address ... The hotel changed recently the owner and name and you can be confused about that because some people knows the hotel as HM Gran Hotel and some other as VIK Gran Sol. But is the same hotel.
Regarding the hotel itself:
- very big hotel, a lot of English, French, Belgian and few Spanish.
- meals and drinks OK. We had only HB so we cannot appreciate very correct the AI system
- swimming pool, pool service OK
- big and clean room and bath
- staff is not so helpful (I had a bad experience - I lost my TISSOT hand watch near the pool and of course that it dissapeared in 2 hours - I asked the help of the reception staff but they were very passive)
- the Butibamba and Mijas area are very quiet so is a good place to relax not to party or know local people
- entertainment at an average level
I recommend it for people over 40 years that are not looking for too much clubbing, fun, etc.

4  Thank Cristian B
VGHCS, Director de Relaciones Públicas at VIK Gran Hotel Costa del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear estimated Guest,

Thank you very much for your time in order to send us your opinión about your stay.
It is so nice to know that you enjoyed your stay and were satisfied with our brilliant beach location, with our spacious and clean rooms, with the lovely surroundings and our entertainment programme.
Thanks for valuing our excellent location, we are situated directly on the beach just a 5 minutes walk from the city centre of Cala de Mijas away.
We are sorry that you lost your wath at the pool and I want to apologize about the way the reception staff act. I can assure you that it was an exceptional case. We always try to fulfill our clients wishes and we stay at your disposal for any kind ouf proble, doubt or question.

We hope to see you again

Reviewed October 28, 2012

just got back this week after 8 days very clean hotel very clean large rooms staff vey help full and always smiling nothing was a problem never keeped you waiting food was very good and lots of it this hotel was mainly adults and you felt very relaxed will certainy go again

4  Thank Hazel B
TeamGranhotel, Director de Recepción at VIK Gran Hotel Costa del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Thank you for your opinion.

We are doing our BEST for a unique experience of our clients !!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Recently returned from a week AI at the 'gran hotel' and have to say that I thought it was very good. Never stayed AI before so not reviewing as a seasoned AI traveller or able to compare.

The hotel was really very nice - beds are large singles which can comfortably be pushed together, the wardrobes spacious and plently of room for clothes/cases etc, the television has a couple of english-speaking channels - Sky News and BBC1, the bathroom well equipped with clean towels when requested (by putting in the bath) and a few freebies i.e. mini shave kit/toothbrush kit/shower gel/shoe shine. There is a fridge in the cupboard which is good. Don't get stung by paying extra for sea-view or balcony as we didn't see a room without these!!! The accommodation was very clean throughout - rooms cleaned daily. The room card operates the electrics in the room so if someone wants to go for a drink and someone wants to stay in the room - there would be a problem!

Drinks are available from pool bar but when the weather not so good the indoor bar is open, crisps and peanuts (although taste a bit like burnt corn and not for those with weak teeth!) are available at request. The comments about food are fair - but breakfast was very good (cereals, fruit, toast, yoghurts, cheese, pastries and usual cooked stuff - eggs/sausages/beans/bacon), lunch and dinner a little 'hit and miss' - as a veggie the choice was even more limited although that is no different to any holiday (half board, AI or otherwise!) and needs to be considered with caution e.g. the vegetarian paella was full of sea food! The menu of the day is on a stand outside the restaurant in all the languages of the guests (Dutch, German, French, English). Only on one night did we need to queue for dinner, although busy the waiters work quickly and efficiently to seat people quickly and then it's a self service system (not dissimilar to a school canteen/buffet). You are asked to show your room card and then provided with drinks. Each time we asked for a drink we also asked for a bottle of water - we stored these in our room fridge so access to water wasn't an issue.

The beach is lovely and accessible from the pool area (using your room card), the wandering guys selling sunglasses/watches or massages are not pushy or aggressive which makes a change from some other beach sellers on previous holidays. Lots of bars down the beach and the Cala Mijas is quaint - great for a little wander but if you're looking for a lively strip this is not the place to go. The evening entertainment was varied - flamingo dancers, magician, birds of prey, singer, karaoke and overall it was good, not too cheesy. There are day time activities too - archery, table football, dance lessons, trips to the local market (which is literally across the main road and easy to find) but didn't partake so can't comment.

There is internet access via PC (room just off the evening bar area) and for 50euros for 10 minutes use - works out quite reasonable, there are books, magazines in this lounge area too. There is a seperate tv lounge in another room of the bar area and a number of games including a pool table. There was table-tennis set up near the pool also. The pool - hmmmm! - I read the reviews referring to it as a puddle and you can see why, people were complainig about hitting their knees when trying to swim because it's so shallow!!

I would definately come here again and definately an easy holiday - good weather, good location, very relaxing, plenty of drink choice, entertainment is quite good, there is room for improvement with the key cards, food choices but it didn't spoil an otherwise enjoyable, well priced holiday.

Room Tip: The poolside lacks privacy - the storm drain side risks being a little smelly (although this was not our experience) and had beautiful sunrise cool room in the afternoon.
6  Thank bitesizebob
TeamGranhotel, Director de Recepción at VIK Gran Hotel Costa del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for you "VIK Gran hotel" opinion !!

We are very happy to make one nice experience from your holiday !

p.s internet in library is 1€ = 20 min !

WELCOME NEXT TIME !!!
Your Gran hotel TEAM !!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Location & cleanliness were very good, staff generallly very helpfull.
All inclusive drinks were from the poolside bar during the day & inner bar in the evenings, but if you wanted a snack during the day you had to go to the restraunt or pay for it at the pool side bar.

Breakfast was certainly acceptable, but the evening meals were very poor, choice & quality left much to be desired.
When you go 'all inclusive' you should not need to eat out three times in order to enjoy a meal.
i would certainly agree with those that advise you to ask for a poolside room, sun in the afternoon & evening & better than looking over the storm drain.
We would not go back.

6  Thank KevB059

Dear Kev,

Thank you for your comment about your stay at VIK Gran Hotel Costa del Sol.
It is a pleasure to know that you were satisfied with our great staff, our cleanliness and our excellent location.
Thanks for valuing our breakfast buffett.
We feel sorry that you were disappointes about our dinner buffet.
Our kitchen staff is cooking daily with fresh and national ingredients in order to provide a delicous buffett.

Thanks for your suggestions

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I went to the Gran Hotel Costa Del Sol in October for 3 nights all inclusive for a short break by myself.

The room was clean, well appointed and spacious. Bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean & nicely done out. (Good range of bathroom freebies! Toothbrushes & paste, razor & shaving cream, comb, shoeshine and showergel). Mini fridge and TV in the room (BBC1 and Sky news for English channels). Safe available for 2Euro a night + deposit. In room air conditioning control.

I stayed on the 5th floor on the side next to the inlet, and found it nice and quiet. Decent sized balcony with table and chairs.

The all inclusive was not brilliant - I have been all inclusive elsewhere before and while those were in season, there still seemed to be a huge difference in what was available. The food in the restaurant was okay - not really anything to write home about. There wasn't a huge amount of choice and nothing was especially hot. I ended up having something with chips all night. I didn't go hungry, but it was really nothing to get excited about. I also had food poisoning while away, but I can't be 100% sure it was the buffet (do think this is most likely, esp as most of the food didn't seem very hot and I had only eaten here when I started getting symptoms).

For snacks in between meal times, there's no 'snack bar' as I thought there would be, but the information sheet advised that "hamburgers, hot dogs, salads, mixed sandwiches" in the restaurant at set times between the meals. I decided to do this on the last day as I would be leaving too late for lunch, but when I got there, the staff were setting up for lunch and there was no one else in there. The snacks turned out to be some sad looking burgers and hotdogs (lukewarm) with lettuce, cheese and raw onions on clingfilmed plates. I thought that this was a bit disappointing and isn't really what you expect from an all inclusive. It's more full board really.

Also, there are no drinking water dispensers like those I've seen in other AI hotels, but there are vending machines selling little bottles of water! A bit cheeky I thought, as you don't necessarily want to have to walk all of the way out to the pool bar (which is not that close to the hotel) if you want a glass of water in your room! There is a mini fridge in the room though so I just bought a 2L bottle from the local supermarket for about 30c and kept that in the room.

The bar on the 1st floor is nice enough, it's open from 5.30pm and most things (except bottled beers) seemed to be on the AI list and the staff are v friendly. If you want to take the drinks to your room you can just ask for them in a plastic glass. (Which I only discovered on my last night. D'Oh.) There's also a hot drinks machine in that bar that works from 10.30 in the morning. The hot chocolate out of that machine is really good! Again, you can take drinks to your room from there if you use the plastic cups.

There is free wifi in the inside bar and reading room, pay-as-you-go internet on the computers, board games, books and magazines.

The pool is smaller than I was expecting from the photos, but the location for the beach is great, you literally walk through the pool area and there's a gate to the beach. Plenty of sunloungers and a good spot for the sun.

Overall it was a decent enough hotel, just a few things (mainly food-related) let it down.

The local area is a quiet and small resort. I really liked it, but if you're after party central this probably isn't for you. Nice clean, safe area, about 5 minutes walk from 'la Cala' where there are a selection of restaurants, shops and bars, a supermarket, a children's play area and an outdoor gym. There are lots of "chiringuito" beach bars along the Playa Butibamba.

If you want to visit Mijas Pueblo (traditional Andalusian whitewashed town up in the hills), you can get there by taking the bus from outside the town hall/tourist info (in the commercial area of La Cala) to Fuengirola, then the bus from Fuengirola to Mijas Pueblo. The buses run regularly all day on both routes. You can get the bus straight into the bus exchange in Fuengirola, but I accidentally got off at the start of Fuengirola and found Castillo Sohail, which was 3Euro to enter and had some nice views of the area and nice grounds to walk around.

Mijas Pueblo was worth a visit, and go to the museum house, which was 1 Euro to go round and was really interesting (make sure you ask for the English guidebook and it'll make a lot more sense.) There are donkey taxis and horse-drawn carts in Mijas Pueblo. The horse-drawn carts looked nice, but the donkeys looked a bit miserable (and smelly) which was a bit sad.

Oscar's Tapas/Cocktail bar in the Pueblo is v nice, I had a 'plato iberico' and a glass of red wine, both were lovely, and it is in a good sunny spot (but with shade if wanted) overlooking the sea.

Room Tip: High floor to be away from the bar (they have entertainment on there of an evening, and I assume you would be better on the side facing the inlet rather than the side facing the pool are. I was in 517 and that was a good room (odd numbers on 5th floor all on inlet side).
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank RM2007

Dear apreciated Client,

Thank you very much for your time to send us your comment about your stay.
Our guests opinión is very important for us - as it helps us to improve our services.
And we get to know our weaknesses and have the chance to make them to our strenghts.
It is a pleasure to know that you were greatfull with your spacious and clean room, the comfortable bed, the quiet situation and the furniture like for example the mini fridge.
Thanks also for valuing our bar staff. Due to security reasons it is not allowed to take away the glases. Bur of course you can take away every kind of drinks in a plastic glass - just ask our bar staff. We feel sorry that you were disappointed about our food.
Our kitchen staff is cookin daily with fresh and national ingredients to offer a delicous buffett and a big variety of dishes.
We are sorry that you did not enjoy that.

We arelooking forward to see you soon again