“Travelers, BEWARE!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
70 Traversiere Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed August 14, 2010

While my husband and I agree with many of the positive comments that have been made about 70 Traversiere B&B, we had a negative experience which negated anything positive that we could have possibly added. We were traveling with our 10-year-old granddaughter and had made detailed and specific arrangements with the innkeeper, Jeanine, via email, for a particular room which would accommodate the 3 of us with 2 separate full beds in 2 adjoining parlors: the Baldaquin Room on the 2nd level. When we arrived we paid cash in advance for a "split booking" where we would stay a number of days, depart to do a week of travel in France & Italy, and return to Brussels for one night before our early-morning flight back to the States. When the first part of our stay was complete, we removed all of our belongings from the room, were assured that our room would be awaiting us upon our return, said our goodbyes, and left for the airport. A week later, the afternoon before our return to Brussels I, by chance, happened to check my email and discovered a message from Jeanine stating that the Baldaquin room, which we had prepaid for, had been booked to another party for 4 nights! She went on to say that the only room that was available that would have an extra bed for our granddaughter was the "Attique" Room. My husband and I are both seniors and I have a heart condition. The Baldaquin Room was on the 2nd level, but the Attique was at the top of the house on the 5th level and up 7 flights of stairs. Our granddaughter's "bed" was a cot. Since we had returned late at night there was no time to find other accommodations, so we were stuck. Jeanine never offered us a refund, a discount, an explanation or an apology. We will never again stay at 70 Traversiere, nor can we ever recommend that anyone else stay there. It was a terrible way to end what would have been a perfectly lovely trip.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank StreetRaker

Reviewed April 11, 2010

70 Traversiere.
The Lady is easy going, but the place is full of rubbish and, naturally, a lot of flies, i found a hip of rubbish on upper floors. I don't believe that my linen was changed when i arrived, and in the room was a lot of dust. Breakfast is ok.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 18, 2009

I stayed at 70 Traversiere for three nights in November. On arrival I was struck by the very charming interior, it really feels like an old-fashioned Brussels maison with lots of accumulated furniture, rugs, and other bits of personality. The hosts were very nice and friendly and accommodating to my various requirements. I can recommend this for anyone looking for an authentic stay in a real, lived-in Brussels house run by real people -- a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I stayed at 70 Traversiere for 2 nights and was very pleased with the B&B. Although my room was in the cellar, it was clean and quite big, but if I'd needed to stay longer I'd asked a room with proper windows.

The lady didn't speak great English, but we understood each other and they didn't have problems with keeping my luggage after I checked out. She let me keep the keys and after the meeting I picked the luggage up and left the keys there.

If you have really high standards then don't visit 70 Traversiere and enjoy overpriced hotels, but it's a nice place to rest and see the town.

Only things to really complain about are breakfast, which is quite French - some bread and marmelade. But served at the time you choose :)

The B&B is not very easy to find - the directions they give you might be misleading. Anyway, just get yourself to Botanique, it's a 5min walk from there (no need to go to Madou as the owner tells you ;)).

Now I know where it is, so I wouldn't hesitate to go back :)

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank triinvp
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We're just back from a short stay at 70 Traversiere & found it to be a really charming, homely B&B in Brussels. Jeanine, the owner, was very nice & friendly. Breakfast in the lovely dining room were really nice.

It is conveniently located between the Madou & Botanique Metro stations, perhaps a 3-4 min walk to either one, but you could easily walk from here, Grand Place was probably about a 15 min walk.

Nice, good value accomodation & an ideal base for travellers.

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed August 5, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at this B&B for 3 nights while travelling through Europe and have no complaints about it. The host, Jeanine, was very friendly and made us feel comfortable.
We stayed in the room on the top floor and really enjoyed it. The room was big, we had our own bathroom which was also very big and clean.

The breakfast was average: orange juice, coffee and a croissant. Not very much, but you get what you pay for.

The house is located in a friendly little Turkish neighbourhood which is very lively even during night so if you absolutely can't stand noise at night, I wouldn't recommend this place.

The house is close to the metro and tram station and about a 10-15 minute walk to the main attractions.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone travelling on a budget.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Miss_Buttercup
Reviewed April 25, 2008

I have been staying at 70 Traversiere for 3-5 nights/week for several weeks while I am working in Brussels. It is one of Brussels' better-kept secret bargains. Innkeepers Jeanine and Pierre perhaps read an earlier review, because there's not a whiff of cigarettes anywhere in the place.
I've slept in three of the rooms, and all were clean and comfortable. The nicest (Le Balcon?) is oddly absent on their website. It is a generous two rooms, with a private bath and a big bright window looking out over a Japanese magnolia in the back garden. The room called La Terrasse also faces the quiet back, and has a large private bath. The slight disadvantage is that you must step into the second-floor stair landing to reach the bath, and the bed is soft for my taste. The downstairs room (L'Intendant) may be least desirable to some temperaments only because it is in the basement and its windows open to the front, at street level. The street is quiet, but the occasional conversation or passing car can be heard in that room. It has a large private bath, and is the cheapest of all the rooms.
The neighborhood is safe, with a nice selection of small Middle-Eastern cafes and the Cafe Chambord serving Belgian cuisine. Jeanine serves a standard continental breakfast of rolls, butter-and-jam, and tea or (good!) coffee. Unsecured wireless broadband is also available.
It is about two blocks from the nearest tram and metro lines, or an easy 20-minute walk to La Grand Place. Jeanine speaks limited English; Pierre is fluent; they and their two teenage children are patient, helpful and unobtrusive.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)