“Old World / But Empty”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le Palace
Dublin, Ireland
“Old World / But Empty”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel I booked as I am a IHG member - it was cheap for a Capital City and while the position was first class and I was looked after well - soon understood why it was good value for money - the hotel is old - they are trading on history - the rooms are all of a good standard but people Now want more - for a one or perhaps two night stay it is fine but the Bar - restaurant was empty and it lacked any atmosphere - I wonder how long it can keep going ?

Room Tip: Every room is different
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
rhurkmans, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le Palace, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear TOPCAT010,
The opinion of all our valued guests is greatly appreciated, whether positive or negative and is always well accepted to assist us in setting the right priorities to continue improving our facilities and services. Just to give you an indication, what we currently do to keep up with nowadays needs: we're running a Summer maintenance program in all our rooms, are installing new state-of-the-art tv/ multi media screens in all rooms, as well are upgrading our wifi system again. In the Winter our Fitness area will be renovated.
We see the need for ongoing improvements to keep up, and are investing in our property every year, but sometimes the investments are done in installations, which one doesn't immediately see, but which increases guest comfort.
Thank you for staying with us and best regards
Rogier M. Hurkmans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Italy
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have been at this hotel many times, but this time, I was really disappointed! When I arrived, the guy at the reception was very kind and thankful for my loyalty to the hotel! He told me that a very nice room was waiting for me (I am a Gold member); however, when I got to the room, I did not find anything special:it was one of the many standard rooms facing inside, with a "nice" view to a room located a couple of meters away.
I stayed four nights in total, but I had two different reservations; on my arrival I was assured that the reservations were merged and I would not have anything to do until my departure. In the middle of my stay, I got an SMS informing me of an expense charged on my credit card by the hotel! The message worried me a lot, but I was in a meeting and I could not check. When I got back to the hotel I discovered that they "blocked" some money for the second reservation, and they did this without telling me!!!!
While I was there, I made the "green choice" and I got the 5 Euro voucher every morning; when I tried to use them at the hotel restaurant, they said they could not accept two of them because the date and signature were missing!!!
Finally, the morning newspaper was delivered to my room three out of the four nights.
Maybe I was simply unlucky, however, I don't know whether I will give this hotel another chance!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank m2cc
Dear m2cc,
First of all, I would like to thank you very much for recently choosing Crowne Plaza Brussels Le Palace again. Your comments and suggestions are very valuable to us and help us to constantly review and improve our services and facilities. I apologise for the caused inconveniences regarding the "Green Choice" voucher and the unclarity with the deposit for the 2 reservations you had. Morning newspapers should have been delivered every morning, only on Sunday, we are not able to offer an international paper.
It would be my pleasure to assist you with a new reservation at our hotel (rogier.hurkmans@cpbxl.be), to prove we can do better (as you can read in many other reviews).
Looking forward to welcoming you back.
Best regards, Rogier Hurkmans - Managing Director
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was very conveniently located for my place of work. Got a good "business" rate for room and breakfast. Room was modern, spacious and clean. WiFi was acceptable but not super fast. Breakfast offered plenty of choice. Helpful staff. Easy walk to Grand Place in the evening. Will stay here again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank d_bedborough
rhurkmans, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le Palace, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Salut d_bedborough,

On behalf of the entire Team, many thanks for your positive comments. We're pleased, you enjoyed your stay with us. Looking forward to welcoming you again at the Crowne Plaza Le Palace.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Location.. Location..Location

Stayed over at Crown Plaza for 1 night.

Location is excellent -
<1 min walk to Rogier Metro station
10 min walk from Brussels Nord (North Station)
10 mins walk to the main market
12-14 min walk to Brussels centraal (central station)
15 mins walk to Grand Place (probably the only place in Brussels where you can have some nice time and feel like it’s a tourist city)

The reception is awesome, looks like renovated very recently.
3-4 lifts available so you don’t have to queue or wait to go to your floor.
The room was spacious and comfortable with a locker and big nice bathroom.
The breakfast, although very costly at 27.5 Euros per person, we soon found out why. We decided to go out for breakfast and understood why they are charging so much; everything else is dead till 1200 hrs on Sunday, so either pay 27.5 or starve.
Good internet connectivity and speed and is free of charge.

Although, there is one complain and that’s the noise from an adjoining room.
People next door or somewhere around in the hotel decided to have a good time over a drink ‘in their room’ which carried on forever and was a constant disturbance. The rooms should be noise proof for a hotel of Crown Plaza quality.

The people at reception were nice but didn't look like they had experience of guiding tourists, can't blame them; I don't know why I thought Brussels would be a good tourist destination.

I won't mind coming back to the hotel if I ever go back to Brussels, which I have no intention of, it’s a sleeping place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank A J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le Palace, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear A J,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. I am very pleased that you liked our location. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. However, we are thankful that you enjoyed your stay despite some issues. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Geelong
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

When I first went to my room I thought 'this is disappointing'. After a day or two I came to realise I was right! I paid to be an IHG Ambassador member which gives auto upgrades and other benefits - none of which I received. The room is old and stolid with dial up speed Internet. The view from my window was 2meters to the Hilton hotel wall (ironically where I should have stayed). While I type this I can hear the people upstairs walking around.
The location is average where if you turn right instead of left; you feel like you're in downtown Beirut. I need to readdress my last reviews to pump them up, cos they're 6 star compared to this disappointment.
No minibar items, rip off movies, no view, old school, etc.
On the plus, the foyer is nice and the staff are definitely terrific.
Choose somewhere else!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank divdogs
Dear divdogsel,

First of all I would like to thank you very much for recently choosing Crowne Plaza Brussels Le Palace and many thanks for having taken the time to share your experience regarding your stay.

We are pleased that you liked the foyer and the terrific staff.

The opinion of our valued guests is greatly appreciated, whether positive or negative and is well accepted by the management and the team of our hotel. We use this feedback for further improvement in areas where we may have fallen short in our guests expectations.

We sincerely hope that you are able to make a return visit again, to prove that we can definately DO BETTER.

In the meantime, if we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.

With my best regards,
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed July 5, 2013

While Brussels was my least favorite part of my European trip, this was my favorite hotel of any that we stayed in over there. Awesome staff, with great English skills along with spacious, near-luxurious amenities make this a great place to stay. The rooms were quite comfy, especially since I got sick the first night/next morning and didn't mind staying "in." Only a few blocks from The Grand Place, it was accessible to most everything in the city. The city is bustling and moving around just outside of this hotel (even in the near freezing temps) and its surroundings was quite easy. I'd stay there again. As a matter of fact, I'd stay in any Crowne Plaza again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Salut Scorpio NC,
Many thanks for your positive comments. You made our day:-). We are happy you like our hotel so much. Kind regards from sunny Brussels
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The lobby really beautifull,elegant with marble walls, and de carpet amazing. The room confortable, the matress very good.
Breakfast perfect. , with fresh food, delicious bread.
good location, just 10 minutes walking to train station.
receptionist very friendly.

Room Tip: rooms facing de square, lighter and big.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
NH Collection Brussels Centre
Hotel Le Plaza
#42 of 199 in Brussels
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,455 reviews
Hilton Brussels Grand Place

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le Palace? Share your experiences!