“Good location, small rooms, 3.5 stars” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le Palace

Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le Palace
Wherever the cheap fares take me
“Good location, small rooms, 3.5 stars”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

Stayed here for 6 nights during a recent trip to Belgium. Overall, I would give it 3.5 stars, but since I have to choose, I am leaning towards 3.

Good:

-Staff. Staff were generally very friendly and helpful. The staff at the concierge desk (basically the regular front desk staff) were very helpful in helping me make a dinner reservation one night and were very pleasant.

-Location. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the Brussels Nord train station and has the Rogier metro stop RIGHT in front of the hotel. Great location for getting around the city and country. Now, there is not a TON of stuff right in the immediate area of the hotel, so food at night is a little tough, but you can get around easily.

-Breakfast. The included breakfast is pretty decent although it gets tiresome after a few days, as it is always the exact same. A few different juices, a variety of cheeses and cold cuts, and some hot items like rice and bacon. Some variety would have been nice though, and some items like potatoes also would have been nice.

-Bed. The bed is my room was pretty comfy and soft.

-Water. Free bottle of water in the room that was replaced every day. Very nice.

Bad:

-Business center internet. We tried to use the business center internet every day of our stay and none of the computers worked right. The internet on all of them just did NOT work. It took me 10 minutes to even load my email. VERY irritating.

-Room. The room was small and tired looking. The hotel itself just seems old and worn on the inside for the most part. The shower was extremely small and I could scarcely stand up straight in it, as it was so narrow.

-Amenities. No conditioner? Really? What kind of 4 star hotel does not have or offer conditioner bottles in the shower for its guests? No CNN. The TV said it has CNN on channel one, but it was Eurosport. I know it is silly, but I get used to having CNN when I travel and it seems like a basic thing to have in a 4 star hotel. Bathroom itself was fairly large but had a small sink and not that much counter space.

-AC/Heating. The room would not cool down unless we opened the window. Basically if we turned the thermostat down all the way, it kept going.

Overall, it was a good stay and the hotel was satisfactory. Honestly, I just cannot say it is a 4 star hotel. It was a comfortable, clean and safe hotel that was good enough, but it was not luxurious by any means and I would not pay 200+ euros a night for it, but for the price I paid, I was pleased. Overall I think this is not a super expensive hotel generally. As I said, 3.5 stars if I could give that.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

The hotel is on the edge of the smarter shopping district just ove rthe border from the increasingly gritty area behind Gare du Nord. By gritty I'm talking not just girls-in-windows, but the ethnically diverse areas around the station. It's a part of Brussels with its own charm, great if you want a schawarma, but it's hardly the Grande Place.

But its not alone, there are a couple of big name chain hotels on the doorstep.

If you come in by Eurostar, to the South station, the connection to Nord is free, frequent and fast. The walk from Nord to the hotel is relatively easy.

It's an old hotel, brought up to Crowne Plaza standards in a reasonably successful way. My "executive" rooms was comfortable, clean, mini-bared, with functional bathrooms and a dressing-gown (oh la!la!). Some have views over the tiny park across a side steeet, others face onto a busy road. Some, it seems, may be internal.

Breakfast is definitely NOT free. It's in arm and a leg territory. If it comes out of your own pocket, or you have a conscience, there are many many cafes around where you can start your day. Even a couple of MacDonalds.

My visit coincided with a convention, so the hotel was uber-busy. Rates were painful, but I wasn't paying. Internet wifi connection was free, but only up to a limit: the limit, in megabytes, meant nothing to me - but I'm pleased to report my e-mail checking was within the free zone.

At weekends the rates drop dramatically. Brussels, quite unfairly, really isn't seen as a weekend place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

A one night stay. Service minded front desk staff (a newbie took care of me) and I got a nice very quiet room on the 7th floor. Free Internet connection was fast - and finally a hotel that has understood the benefit of guests not having to log on with silly codes and usernames!
Bed unusually soft and welcoming. Lots of pillows and a well lit bathroom with magnifying glass for make up sessions. (Didn't have breakfast)

I experienced problems when doing online check-in and printing out my boarding pass using the Business Center since that internet connection was snail paced and the printer out of order. However this was solved by the young man at reception (with me hanging over him knowing the consequences of having done online checkin and then failing to bring the print out boarding card to the airport ..) It took a while but eventually I got it - the best was that the speed or lack of it, of the internet connection became obvious to him too.

After my return to the room the Front Desk Manager knocked on my door with a box of Belgian Truffles and a little hand written note apologising for the Business Center "not living up to my expectations" ! Very good - this is how you know that you have managed to choose a hotel with a good guest policy.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MarieMalmo
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

This hotel is next to the Rogier metro stop and an easy five minute walk to the Nord train station (which is served by the airport train and many long distance trains). Lots of people complain about the neighborhood, but that seemed silly to me. The neighborhood seems to be getting pretty upscale to me and seems 100% safe. It's about a 10 minute walk to the Grand Place down a nice pedestrian street.

Rooms aren't huge, but are comfortable and well furnished (I didn't get much of an upgrade as a platinum priority club member, but the room was fine). Very upscale hotel ambience. The staff was friendly and efficient.

I thought breakfast could have been a little better. I mean, you expect a good breakfast in a gastronomic town like Brussels, right? The coffee was good, but the buffet selection was a bit lacking, and not all properly cooked (like half cooked bacon). And no potatoes. In Brussels? That's crazy. Instead, there was rice and noodles! It's nice to be inclusive, but it's smart to also give a sense of place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

Good location, nice & friendly staff, FREE wi-fi! Good meeting facilities. Tasty breakfast.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

Stayed at this hotel during a bitterly cold early February week and found it more than met my needs. It is in a part of town that is pretty dubious, but is comming up rapidly in the world. It is very convenient for Rogier metro station, which is on the same line at the Gare de Midi, so very well placed for the Eurostar. There are a few decent brasseries nearly, too, so it is possible ot vary the surroundings for meals.
I found the reception efficient and friendly, checking in and out. The room was in my view very good, with comfortable beds and enough pillows, for once. The whole thing seemed to have had a recent refit to a good standard, inlcuding a large and well fitted bathroom. I appreciated the large and fluffy bathrobe provided. Nice details included good lighting in the room and excellent blackout.
As I was on a working trip, it was very good to have free (and fast!) Wi-Fi, although it is worth checking as this may have been fixed specially.
The breakfast was decent, not outstanding but the coffee was good (unusually) and there was a choice of fresh fruit juices.
I would certainly stay on another woirking visit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

Although this is technically a four star hotel, I think it deserves much less. The room was nice, somewhat decent size and yes the location of the hotel was in a convenient spot nestled next to the Grand Place, but the service was awful and it wasn't super clean. The tub was way dirty. I will say that the bed was really comfy, however to order movies was 14 euros a pop and the mini bar was half-stocked with overpriced items and then they tried to charge me for missing things in the mini bar that weren't even there when I checked in. The staff couldn't speak English well and were not very accommodating. If you are going to spend money, don't spend it here. I'm sure there are nicer places. Oh and do not order food at the bar. It's awful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rhiannon W
Le_Palace, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le Palace, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Your review shows indeed our hotel did not match the 4 star service you were entitled to and we are very sorry for this. As far as language is concerned, our country has 3 official languages and we try as much as possible to balance the presence at reception across our national languages and english obviously, however, this implies that the level of english is not always at its best and we apologise for this.
Now, it is a shame we have not heard from you about the tub as this way, we could have fixed it for you either cleaning or upgrading you to another room and check what had failed in our housekeeping organisation that day, same for the mini bar as we do check the mini bars daily.
next time you are in Brussels, please do contact me to arrange your stay so that we get an opportunity to show you a better side of our Crowne Plaza hopefully
Anne Marie Aucouturier
Director of Sales and Marketing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
NH Collection Brussels Centre
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,422 reviews
Made in Louise
Made in Louise
#1 of 16 in Ixelles

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le Palace? Share your experiences!