“Did not like it”

Hilton Brussels City
Tallinn, Estonia
“Did not like it”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I had a single room. Well, it was the smallest room I've ever seen! The bathroom is just tiny! Yes, it was clean, the quality of cosmetics in the bathroom was good enough, but the room was too small.
The most unbelievable thing was that in a 4* hotel, where the majority of visitors are businessmen - the Internet access costs 7 EUR/hour! Unbelievable! Look, it is the year 2013, the center of Europe, business class hotel and I should pay extra for the Internet?! There is a free Internet even in some 2* hotel.
No shoe brush in the room.
Also it is a noisy place and even with the closed window it was difficult to sleep there.
Moreover, one night I was woken up by some alarm signal.
Also telephone in the room has very loud and unpleasant signal. Once somebody called to my room at night when I was sleeping. And believe me, I wasn't very happy to here this loud signal at night!
Ok, there are also positive things: good breakfast, location, friendly stuff. And usually if you are not planning you visit in advance, then Hilton is one of the hotels that always has rooms.
All in all, these negative aspects make me choose another hotel from the same price category instead of Hilton.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Anna_Tallinn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

This is a well above average hotel which you would always expect from Hilton. It is well situated in the centre of the city and is well presented internally. The only minor let downs for me were;

Housekeeping came in after first night and tidied but left used coffee cup by bed
Robe was like cardboard and well worn
Common areas are a little small making the hotel feel a little cramped when busy

Otherwise it was good.

The food is excellent and the staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Would stay again for sure.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Spent 5 days at this hotel. This was my 2nd and 3rd time staying at the hotel. I had a one day break between stays in the same week.

My first room was small, but efficient, the second one was more spacious since it was on the HHonors floor, but the TV was quite old, not a flat screen.

Overall the tront desk staff was helpful and friendly. There were a few trainees on duty while I was there and they seem to multitask, the person who greeted me at the entrance to the hotel also delivered my room service.

Room service was OK, decent wine selection and desserts. I also ate at the restaurant twice, once for lunch and once for dinner. It seems to be a popular place for lunch since I was told that it was completely booked for lunch and was offered the option to eat at the bar or squeeze in at the long bar/table at the center of the restaurant. The special menu for lunch was good and good value. I wouldn't have dinner again, the wine I was given tasted like vinegar so I did not drink it and the service was extremely slow, almost nonexistent.

There's not much around the hotel, except for other hotels and a mall. I needed to wander out for breakfast each morning since the hotel's breakfast was expensive, I think around 30 euros. I walked for 20 minutes before finding something that was open before 8 amAfter 8 am, . the area comes to life.

The hotel is in walking distance to Grand Place and a train station I think Gare du Nord.

There are steps to get to the elevator which can be a pain if you have a lot of luggage. I also got stuck in the elevator once during my stay. It is also being refurbished so there was netting on the outside of the hotel.

Overall, quite different than my first stay there and after the third time all in all, a decent place to stay in Brussels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

stayed one night on March 31 and I really enjoyed my room. Although I did't have enough time to spend in the room, while there, I really liked having a huge flat screen across from my huge bed which was very comfortable.

Location is a big advantage as well with a 3 min walk from the north train station and a mere 15 min from the Grand Place.

My flight was leaving late in the afternoon so I asked if I could have a late check out which was gladly given to me(3 pm) - thank you.

This is my hotel on my next visit to Brussels.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Skinjo T
Rome
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The Hotel is being refurbished and I got, perhaps because of the agreement with my company's broker, an old room with no view if not to the EU offices in front of the window.
Should you need to stay for a longer time, it would be better to check room availability.

Nonetheless, breakfast was good and service excellent. The location is less than five minutes walk from North Station, so less than 20 minutes from the airport if you prefer not to use a taxi.
And a pleasant (straight) stroll in a commercial road will lead you to the Grand Place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Australia
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is called the ‘but’ review because this hotel has some great features, but they all seem to come with a ‘but’. I am someone who understands that sometimes people are having a bad day, or there are things that happen outside of a hotel’s control. However during our stay, for every aspect that was good, there was the not so good.

The hotel itself is nice enough BUT it’s unfortunately currently covered in green shadecloth. I would have been unhappy if that was my view.

Our room was a nice enough standard Hilton style BUT when we checked in there were some small stains on the bedcovers and toilet. BUT these had been rectified after housekeeping came through the next day. There is an opening window in the room which was wonderful, BUT the blinds don’t block out the sunlight entirely, and the trains going past on a weekday seem to start very early (and are very noisy!).

A bathrobe and slippers were provided BUT just one set even though the booking was for two.

The breakfast selection was one of the nicest I have ever come across, with a range that would surely please even the fussiest eaters, and included champagne BUT the hot food was not hot – I would describe it as barely warm. Not the nicest way to eat scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages etc. Also it didn’t appear to open as early as advised during the week (as in, people weren’t even setting up. It was completely dark). Luckily there are plenty of options outside of the hotel if you have an early start (we were heading out at about 6.45am).

Matthew on reception could not have been more helpful with everything from check in, advice, and helping with bags BUT Youssef in the bar / restaurant could not have been more – how shall I put this – non-customer focused. We received differing advice on what drinks were available, what time they were available, where we should sit in the restaurant and the service the night we ate in was awful – I think approximately 2 hours for a main course and 2 glasses of wine! That was probably the most disappointing part of our stay as normally I avoid eating in hotels as much as possible and this just reminds me why.

Overall the hotel was fine BUT if I ran a hotel, I’d want it to be fantastic.

Room Tip: Ask to for a room with a view that doesn't include the train lines or the shadecloth