“Enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Brussels City
Derby, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Doesn't look great from the outside and has a strange layout inside but don't let this put you off. Efficient, helpful staff, good sized bedroom for Europe, good breakfast room and stylish lounge area made it a very pleasant 2 nights.
You have to drag your bags from reception up to the lifts.
The location is good for the main shopping street with takes you straight to the central area and taxis are easy to get for Brussels.
I would stay again

Room Tip: There are rooms with views over the square but all you see at the moment is a building site!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

This was our first time in Brussels and we had just one day to see the city and catch up with my cousin who has lived there for several years. Being a HHonors member we wanted to use points to book our stay, my cousin quickly suggested we should pick this Hilton as the location is close to several attractions... and so it was!!
Check in was fast, our room was small but comfortable and clean. Since we were leaving the next day very early in the morning we were not going to have time to use our breakfast vouchers but when we mentioned that at the check-in counter they quickly offered to prepare breakfast to go which was ready and waiting for us by the time we left the hotel the next day

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
West Palm Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Planned to spend 4 days in Brussels and have never been to the City before. Had no clue which area of the City to stay in or where, so decided to take advantage of being a Hilton Honors Diamond level and stay here. After all "Brussels City" located in the "City Center" makes it seem like a perfect holiday spot. What I found is that the location, while rather convenient for getting around to areas in the City, is not really all that fun for a tourist.

First things, first. I booked online directly with the hotel and had no problems.
Prior to my trip, I tried to find out how to get to the hotel from the Brussels Midi train station. There are no directions on the web site: even though they have a "directions" section, it includes driving directions but not clear directions from the train station. So I had to spend time searching for them on the Internet. Printed out what I did find (need to get to the Rogiers subway stop) but was lost from there. Exited the subway station expecting to see the hotel, but did not. I did see the Sheraton and after circling around (suitcase in tow) for about 15 minutes, finally decided to just go to the Sheraton and ask for directions to the Hilton. It was then, that I saw the Hilton--directly across the street--next to the Crown Plaza. The signage on the building can't be seen from the subway stop. I think that Hilton could improve its web site by providing a better local map and clear directions for travelers coming in via train station (or even airport via subway). However, I suspect they don't cater to too many tourists: I got the sense that many of the guests were politicians/business people.

Check-in was a snap. The room (upgraded to the HHonors floor) was clean. Not luxurious, but modern and comfortable. In keeping with "green" building standards, the room key must be in a slot near the door in order for the lights in the room to turn on. A minor thing, easy to get used to. More frustrating was that the bathroom light was on a sensor/timer. Several times the light went out while I was shaving. Apparently, I don't move around enough when I shave. Very frustrating. I don't understand why they can't have a light switch with the light automatically turning off after the key is removed from the master switch, if the light is left on by accident. Anyway, this was a minor inconvenience.

The bed (king) was comfortable with plenty of pillows. Each day a robe and slippers were placed on my bed, and the room had 2 complimentary bottles of mineral water replaced each day. I suspect these are features for HHonors guests, but perhaps they extend to everyone. I don't know.

One perk for HHonors members (at Gold and higher levels) was the complimentary breakfast buffet. I stayed for 4 nights and for 3 of the 4 breakfasts, everything was perfect. Food was tasty and plentiful. On my last morning, however, breakfast wasn't so great. Half of the items on the buffet were empty: I pointed it out to one of the workers who looked at me funny and shrugged, as if saying, "What do you want me to do about it?" The poor girl working at the cooked to order egg station was stuck with a burner that wasn't working properly. I gave her my order and someone else did. She played around with the burner for 5 minutes or so, before packing some eggs and taking them to the kitchen. But, instead of helping her and cooking them in the kitchen, the chef decided to send her out with another burner--after about another 10 minutes. It literally took more than 25 minutes to get 2 cooked eggs. And since the waffles/bacon on the buffet line were empty it was not such a great breakfast. This was all at 7:30 a.m., too--I might expect it at the end of breakfast service, but not toward the beginning. To keep it in perspective, though, the first three mornings breakfast was PERFECT. Everything was plentiful, eggs were cooked to order and it was a nice start to the day.

One thing I liked about the location is that it is 2 minutes walk from the subway stop (Rogier) and about 7-10 minutes walk from the Gare du Noord Train station. On one of my four days I took a train to Antwerp, and on another, I took a train to Brugge. The Hilton Brussels City was a perfect home base for these day trips and a great, clean, comfortable place to come back to each night. The Rogier subway station easily links with lines to the historic, tourist sites (Royal Place, Grand Place/Market Square) and is situated in a large shopping mall. I didn't have the need to shop, but it was nice knowing that the mall was so convenient in case I did need something.

A drawback to the location is a lack of quality restaurants in the immediate area. I had read a number of things warning folks from walking at night (especially alone) in the City and this is not a touristy area. So finding good places to eat was difficult later at night. Directly across the street is a Bostons Steak House and a Brussels Grill restaurant. I think they're both part of the same chain. They're along the line of an Appleby's or Fridays. Not bad, but nothing spectacular or particularly remarkable about them. I was looking for a nice restaurant nearby but didn't find one. On the other end of the spectrum: McDonald's, Pizza Hut, and a full food court in the mall for fast food.

That's pretty much it. If someone were to ask for a recommendation of a hotel in Brussels, I'm not sure I would say this one, if they wanted to be near to tourist sites. If planning a number of day trips by train, then this hotel definitely gets my vote: it was perfect for that. I found it to be clean, efficient, friendly, and comfortable: all the things I look for in a hotel. Location was the only thing lacking and there's not too much they can do about that.

Room Tip: I suspect that rooms on the "end" (ending in 10 or 11) are all king size beds....910 was.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank fun1wpb
JanJorisKriele, Manager at Hilton Brussels City, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments on your stay with us. It is with great pleasure that we have reviewed your -mostly positive- comments. Your feedback has been shared within the hotel to further develop our product and services. We are looking forward to welcome you again on a next visit to Brussels !

Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Having stayed here a couple of times and posted positive reviews, I think it's only fair to post a mediocre one if that's the way it turned out. Arrived at the hotel on Monday 18th Feb having booked a Double Room. Checked in as normal and provided with one drinks voucher for use in the Bar as I am HH Gold and the hotel does not have an Exec lounge. Unlike the last time I stayed, there was no mention of me returning to Reception to get some more vouchers if I used the one they had given me. It didn't really matter anyway as I didn't use the voucher they gave me. When I got to my room I noticed that they had provided me with a twin room which I did not book so I tried to ring reception to see if I could have what I booked. The phone was dead in the room so I went back to Reception. No apology was offered but I was swapped to a Double Room. The service was not up to the standard I had experienced before. Anyway, rest of the stay was fine with no complaints but the stay left me wondering if I should try elsewhere next time.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank notuslimited
Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was flying from Brussels and decided to stay at the Hilton to take advantage of its location. The best thing about the hotel is the location, it is just excellent and within walking distance from many tourist attractions and shopping areas.
The hotel itself is below my expectation of a hilton, no executive lounge, the upgraded room I received as a gold member seemed regular to me. There was terrible noise of sirens coming from the outside all night long.

But the worst experience was parking. I had to park at the adjacent public parking lot, as there were no free spaces next to the hotel. It is not directly connected to the hotel, when I checked out at 5 am to catch my flight, the whole parking lot was closed, I was trying to find an entrance for 10 minutes without success. I went back to the hotel and was told that I need to find an intercom at the car entrance to the parking lot and ask that they open the gate. Eventually I managed to leave the parking lot, about 20 minutes late and after carrying my luggage for those 20 minutes going up and down the car ramp. I would definately reccoment Hilton get some kind of easy parking arrangement.

I do not plan to return to this hotel. It is too much of a hassle and there are plenty of good alternatives in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rarar
Dear Mr Rarar,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments on your stay with us. It is with feedback like yours that we can address things that we did not do well in order to improve them for future. We obviously missed out on opportunities to impress you positively and we hope that you can give us another chance when visiting brussels again in future. We are looking into the parking issues faced by yourself to accommodate our guests better in future. Please do not hesitate to notify me in advance when you are coming back to Brussels, so we can make sure you have a great stay.

Sincere yours,

Travelers are raving about these Saint-Josse-ten-Noode hotels

Buenos Aires, Argentina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

The worst thing about this hotel is its staff. I can’t stress this enough.
On the positive side:
It’s about 4 blocks from Brussel Noord train station and across the street from the beginning of the pedestrianized shopping street. You can easily walk to the Grand Place and other places of interest.
On the negative side:
A- The hotel building needs urgent renovation. The décor of the reception is in poor taste, the breakfast room is not up to the standard, and the rooms –and I saw three of them- are old fashioned, small, with no views, and unacceptable TV sets. We had to get maintenance people come twice to operate de heating system.
B- The food served at breakfast is really below the standard you’d expect at a Hilton. There’s limited variety and poor quality. Not to mention the low quality tables and chairs. Staff argued in the room in front of the guests. Unacceptable.
C- The staff doesn’t live up to the name. When you see very young personnel, you automatically think they could be inexperienced. Well, that’s completely true here. For the type of Hotel and the location, the staff should speak perfect English. Well, they don’t. You have to resort to sign language to explain a problem to maintenance people. It’s embarrassing. But the worst thing is the arrogant attitude, especially of the young girls that work at the front desk. They don’t know what they’re talking about it, they confuse things, forget what you told them 5 minutes before, and worst of all, they treat you badly. They request your credit card as guarantee or otherwise a cash deposit. It’s a bit rude they automatically assume you’re going to consume or break something and get away without paying. Mishaps with the reservations, the room, problems with heating, the key, etc. They had us pack all our stuff and promised to move the suitcases to a better room in compensation for a problem. When we returned, the suitcases had never been moved to the new room, and the new room turned out to be much worse than the previous one. Horrible way of managing the establishment and dealing with customers. They should review who they hire, the training they provide, and perhaps the pay standards, if that’s the reason they have such unprofessional, inexperienced, disrespectful and rude employees. And I say this as a low-budget/mid-range traveler, not as a high-flying business executive. I’m not that pretentious or picky.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LeoDiCecco_BA
Dear Mr DiCecco,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your extensive comments on your stay with us. It is with feedback like yours that we can address things that we did not do well in order to improve them for future. We obvisoulsy missed out on opportunities to impress you positively and we hope that you can give us another chance when visiting brussels again in future. Please do not hesitate to notify me in advance whne this happens, so we can make sure you hava great stay.

Ankara, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a review from Mrs. Tulunay. She asked me to put this on Tripadvisor but you need to be a member for it what can I do with this?

My husband and I have been to Brussels Hilton for five years. The reason I chose the hotel is because it is next to the building where I work regularly 1-3 weeks a year. Since that first time I have never searched for anyother hotel but the Hilton Brussels. My husband joined me for four years to enjoy the feeling as if we come to our home in Brussels. The building is not new, but the athmosphere, tradition, smiling beautiful personnel, a very warm welcome all over the place, very smooth way of taking care of us at every level with the reception, room service, restaurant bien belge, breakfast (my most favorite meal) and sport facilities. If you have problems with the internet, do not worry, just appear at the reception, a nice smiling gentleman will sort it out without hesitation, even the simple, silly mistakes. Looking forward to coming back soon!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Yurdanur T
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments on your stay with us. It is with great pleasure that we have reviewed your positive comments. Your feedback has been shared within the hotel to further develop our product and services. We are looking forward to welcome you again on a next visit to Brussels !

Sincere yours,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Hilton Brussels Grand Place
Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le Palace
Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le...
#2 of 13 in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Hotel BLOOM!
Hotel BLOOM!
#1 of 13 in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,684 reviews

Been to Hilton Brussels City? Share your experiences!