“Cramped...”

Hilton Brussels City
London
“Cramped...”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Hilton is in a good central location, and it's literally across the road from the nearest metro station. There are lots of other hotels nearby, and a few shops, but mostly it's an uninteresting area. There is a nearby steak restaurant, but it was expensive and not very good.

Anyway, as for the hotel... The room and bathroom are absolutely minute! There was just enough room around the bed to walk, but not much else! The bathroom was long and thin, and I could reach out and touch the wall opposite the toilet whilst I was sitting on it... The shower was also cramped which made this experience quite unpleasant.

The bed was quite comfortable but I didn't sleep particularly well. It just seemed very cramped, and I was pleased I was only staying here for 1 night.

Can't comment on the breakfast as I didn't have it, but I would have expected more considering the money I paid...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here 3 days only because it was part of a air/hotel package deal that we purchased through Gate 1 Travel. The price for the package was excellent and therefore I am happy to have stayed at this hotel which is well located. It included breakfast as well.

The rooms are extremely small -see pictures and I would be concerned if I had booked this hotel on my own. When making your reservation, please be specific in regard to the room you are getting. I have provided a picture of the floor plan for the 8th floor and would assume that the rooms are all the same on each floor.

The shower is also raised which can present problems for some getting in and out.

When I saw the posted room rate, I felt like a millionaire. The breakfast was very good, buffet style with a good assortment, but at 30 euros, I would have expected premium items such as, smoked salmon, an omelet bar, etc.

Location is good, you are 10 minutes away from the Grand Place, with access on a pedestrian only street. The square in front of the hotel is undergoing some construction and will look much better once finished.

Overall, I was very happy since I got a great deal as part of the package. But if you are reserving on your own, be careful, and therefore you will not have any bad surprises.

Room Tip: make sure you are getting a bigger(normal) room when making you reservation -- see picture of floor...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We arrived very early (off overnight flight) however did tell them an early check in would be nice. They did accommodate us 2 hours later by 11.30. In fairness they had been full the night before; however I just perceived a very condescending and arrogant nature of the front desk staff. We finally got to the room and it reminded me of Tokyo (no not full of electronic gadgets but more like the "hole in the wall" hotels frequented by business men having had too many drinks to go home). The bathroom was around 6' x 4'. Getting a shower included soaking everything on the counter top of the hand basin including the provided tissues. There was a 2' gap on two sides of the bed and 6' on the other including an easy chair and table. In other words, practicing my favourite sport of cat-swinging would have to wait for the next destination. This must be the smallest Hilton room I have ever stayed in. What added to the disappointment was the letter from the manager welcoming my Hilton status confirming my upgrade to a "nice room" (what are the normal ones like?); a welcoming bottle of water (absent); and invitations to HHonors receptions held 3 times monthly (one that night we did not receive an invite for but went anyway ;<).

Last time we stayed our upgrade was to a fantastic room. The only persistence is the poor sound insulation. The frequent police sirens in the city overnight do permeate really well into the rooms.

I understand Brussels is an expensive city, however to spend almost $300 per night on a rabbit hutch was a little too much to bear. I note that the Brussels Conrad is marginally cheaper than this place = a point to ponder when I next visit Brussels.

Room Tip: For this hotel you need to select the high end rooms to get any space.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Arnhem, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is for me a hotel I would stay again because of its location, but is is nothing special. The standard rooms are very small - which generally I do not mind to much when travelling on business - but this is just too small. Stayed here twice the last months - and the bathroom is about a shower wide and 3 showers long - so you feel cramped immediately. The bedroom area has a desk and a double bed - but that is it. I think they would need to combine 3 rooms to make 2 new ones so that it works again.

The bar area does not have a lot of atmosphere either - though it serves a good beer and some snacks. Breakfast is also decent.

Staff is friendly but does not go the extra mile.

Parking is not included but an underground car park is in front of the hotel - which is accessible during its refurbishment.

Walking to either Groote Markt or other areas is perfectly possible.

Room Tip: if you have status use it to get an upgrade
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dorset
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Marion, the front desk manager, happily responded to our request to see our room, and allowed us to check in a few hours early, at no extra cost. She was charm itself, as were the other front desk staff, who spoke excellent English, and were always very happy to help, in any way they could.
Our room (708) was very comfortable, great king size bed, very clean, and very quiet. We had a deluxe room at the end of a corridor, chosen so it would be quiet. It was part of a very cheap Eurostar package.
If travelling on Eurostar, you can get a connecting train to Gare du Nord, from Gare Midi, courtesy of Eurostar ticket. Just following signs for Centre/Centrum on leaving Gare du Nord.
HOWEVER, get a taxi if arriving when dark (cost 14-20 euros), as Gare du Nord, and areas east and west of hotel are full of winos/homeless/hotels that rent by the hour etc. BUT don't let that put you off. The street leading to the Grand Place and all other attractions, is FINE and trouble free, only a ten minute walk, and there is a shopping precinct with a big Carrefour (only one in central Brussels) just opposite.
Breakfast is Excellent, e.g unlimited freshly squeezed orange juice, and unusually, SUPERB COFFEE, self dispensed from an espresso machine. We mixed espresso with capuccino to replicate our perfect coffee. Would happily stay there again, certainly for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Some travellers have complained about noise. Would suggest a room at end of corridor, on high floor...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank VivienJane
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Wasn't sure what to expect when I first arrived at the Hilton Brussels City, as from the outside it doesn't look anything special - somewhat overshadowed by the Sheraton opposite, and even the Crowne Plaza next door. However, once you step inside, you can't really help but be impresed - I loved the cleanliness, design and atmosphere inside.

The good first impressioins continued with our check-in experience - sadly, I didn't get his name, but I thought the receptionist who checked us in was great. Seemed friendly, and willing to spend ages checking us in, checking the room was ready, and giving me lots of useful tips and information for my first visit to Brussels. Wish I'd taken his name, as he did create a really good impression of both the hotel and Brussels.

The room itself was clean and nicely decorated. Not huge, but big enough. The bathroom was fairly small, but again, fit for purpose. We had a room on the front of the hotel - not much of a view as overlooks a bit of a building site. Bed was very comfortable - I had a good night's sleep, although it was interrupted a couple of times by police car sirens going by on the main road near the hotel.

We walked to the hotel from the Gare du Midi (Eurostar) - it's a long walk (especially if you get lost because your travelling companion takes you off in the wrong direction) but not unpleasant. We were in no real rush, so thought it would be a nice way of getting to see a bit of the City. The Metro or trams are probably a more sensible option - Rogier station is right outside the hotel. We found the metro and trams cheap, fast and frequent - €2 for a single trip or €6 for a day at the time of our visit.

Breakfast at the hotel was a fairly usual Hilton affair - it was busy, but we got a table straight away, a pot of coffee already waiting on the table for us. Breakfast is the usual buffet - nice to help yourself to whatever you fancy, although I found it a bit curious there were no sausages, only chicken meat balls (which were actually delicious, and tasted like sausages!). Usual selectoin of cereals, fruit, pastries, etc are available as well as the cooked items.

We loved Brussels - there was a lot going on the weekend we were there, and we found plenty to see and do, without feeling overwhelmed or tired out. It's a fairly small city so most things are walkable, or a short Metro ride away (for example, to the Atomium). We visited the market at Gare du Midi on the Sunday - well worth a visit. We spent a nice few hours on the Saturday evening sampling the Belgian Cherry Beer at a couple of bars - highly recommended.

In summary - no 'wow' factor at the Hilton Brussels City, but everything just as it should be. I'd have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Terry D
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Hilton Brussels City was great. It's in a great location near the train and within walking distance of major attractions. It's also very close to bus stops which makes it very convenient for travelers. The room was very comfortable and spacious. The breakfast was excellent with a wide variety of choices.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Hilton Brussels Grand Place
Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le Palace
Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le...
#2 of 13 in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Hotel BLOOM!
Hotel BLOOM!
#1 of 13 in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,776 reviews

Been to Hilton Brussels City? Share your experiences!