“The best place to stay at in Brussels”
Review of The Phileas Fogg

The Phileas Fogg
Komorów, Warszawa, Poland
“The best place to stay at in Brussels”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I have been already two times at Phileas Fogg and I really like this place. Number one - the hospitality of the owner - a wonderful, warm and very itnersting person speaking fluently 7 langauges and having a lot to say in every one of them. Thanks to that the geust can get the best possible recoimmendation how to spend interstin time in Brussels and how to find other places in places in Brussels.
Number two - the location, very convenient, nearby the Garden de Luxembourg, close to downtown and the Old Town. Number three - a decent breakfest and very comfortable beds. What I would personally change is the lightning in the rooms - this is a bit too dark. For those who read a lot and need to work in the evenings additional lamps with healthy light would be recommended.
This is a perfect place for buisness travellers and tourists interested in something more than only sightseeing. For those who dance tango and love pets - there is no other better palce in Brussles as the Owner is a professional tango dancer and a intructor and she has got two lovely dogs. I caanot wait to come to Phileas again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Hanna M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 30, 2011

First - this is not a Marriott, it's a B&B. And that means your mileage may vary. Some are run so efficiently I might have well stayed in a hotel but they offer no charm. When I want consistency I stay in a good chain, but I wanted more of a Brussels experience. I was warmly greeted by Karin and even given dinner. Karin told me the only time she couldn't make breakfast the next morning (she takes her child to school) but any other time was fine. It was delicious! But best of all was how comfortable I felt and the people I met. I wanted to be in a home - I do a lot of travel and so I enjoyed the dogs and sounds.
If you want precision stay at a Marriott or something, I really love those when I need that kind of consistency but sometimes I want to feel like I'm at home and Phileas Fogg gave that to me in Brussels and I will always be grateful.
Oh and I had a key, but didn't feel like I needed it. Isn't that how it should be?

• Stayed November 2011
Deutschland
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I had 3 nights in the Phileas Fogg and enjoyed it. Nice style, nice dogs (big, friendly, calm). A human athmosphere, a friendly, welcoming oasis in Brussels. The booking was easy: quick and helpful contact to the owner first by email and then by phone.The terrace is a good place for a glass of wine in the evening.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris W
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I've read a couple of the reviews and have to disagree with some. For my husband and me, the experience was nice.We arrived in Brussels mid afternoon on a Tuesday and found this place. There was one available room (the nice blue one) and we took it. This room had a key (unlike some of the others I've read about). Breakfast the next morning was pleasant and we met a few other travelers at the table as well. We had to move to a different room the second night we stayed and this was certainly not as nice as the first one, but it sufficed. Karin was enjoyable to talk with and helped us make the most out of the city by suggesting places to visit. We asked where we could find a place to wash our clothes and her helper did it all for us!
It is run more like a home than a business but we found it charming. The only negative for us was that it was a bit overpriced. It's unfortunate so many others did not have a good experience... this place is a gem.

Room Tip: The blue room is SUPER nice
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I've traveled all over the world but only once in my life have I left a hotel in the middle of my stay, leaving money on the table, and that was here. It was that bad. Filthy, crumbling rooms with no locks (not even from the inside) on doors, and for extra reassurance it's in a very dodgy part of town. We left after a day and found a simple but clean budget pension right off the Grand Place for almost half the price of this joint. The website is an outright bait and switch to sucker the unsuspecting and people who don't do their research; I was one of them but fortunately older and wiser now.

The negative reviews are quite accurate - the only accurate picture you'll get of the Phileas Fogg if you are unlucky to stay there. So do yourself a favor and pass. I only wonder what type of bribe the proprietor pays to whoever inspects accommodation in Brussels to keep it open.

Room Tip: Just don't do it.
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Findelaterra

Travelers are raving about these Saint-Josse-ten-Noode hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I stayed at this B&B many years ago. Despite her initial friendliness, the owner, Karin, turned out to be a liar and a fraud. A wolf in sheep's clothing.
To be honest, I thought her little business would have collapsed by now and I feel sorry for those who book a room and get cheated.
Karin STILL seems to be running the place like her own residence (which seems quite quirky, but don't be fooled) but to the point of ridiculous.
She really needs to change her attitude and run the place like it deserves to be run. Even to the point of hiring a manager!? It has a lot of potenial but is poorly managed. It doesn't help that the owner has no conscience and lacks morals.
The town dump would be an upgrade!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
7 Thank Audi69
Colorado
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Of all the hotels that we stayed at, this hotel was the only one that I didn't read the reviews before hand...because the website was spectacular, but I have to agree with everyone else, it wasn't what I expected.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple