“Wonderful Experience”
Review of Hotel BLOOM!

Hotel BLOOM!
Reviewed October 22, 2009

I arrived very early in the morning after a flight from the US, and took the express SNCB train from the airport to Brussels North (Bruxelles Nord). Rather ambitiously, I decided to walk to the hotel after coming out of the Rue d'Aerschot exit of the station, heading east on Rue Dupont. It was a LOOOONG walk straight uphill with heavy luggage, so I'd suggest that others consider either taking a cab or the metro from Gare du Nord to Rogier and then switching to go to Botanique. The hotel is a block away from the Botanique station.

Although check in is technically at 2pm as is customary, the hotel was able to get me into a room by 10:00am or so. My request for a quiet room was honored, and I was put in room 204 in the back, which was as quiet as could be. The room is huge by European standards, and the bed also large and very comfortable, for once not consisting of two twin beds pushed together. The bath is also large and well appointed (no bidet for those who might expect one in Brussels, however). The free WiFi worked beautifully throughout the hotel, though the connection did not allow for uninterrupted YouTube viewing. The hotel also offers four computers in their business center which are free of charge and have different keyboards to accommodate people who speak different languages. The one drawback is that while the computers have SD/MMC card drives, they are not enabled. The fitness center is small but adequate, with two ellipticals, regular and recumbent cycling machines, and a few treadmills, as well as weight equipment.

I had the overpriced (€25) breakfast at the hotel the first morning while waiting for my room, because I needed a large meal after not eating at all during my overnight flight. There are many small shops in the area where you can (and I later did) grab a coffee and pastry, however. I deliberately wandered around the neighborhood, up the Chaussée de Haecht, to see lots of Turkish restaurants and bakeries, Victor Horta's first Art Nouveau town house, the Maison Autrique at #266 (www.autrique.be, open only on Wednesdays and Sundays, the website has a suggested neighborhood tour), and a beautiful old church (St. Servais, at the intersection with Avenue Louis Bertrand). On the way back down Rue Royale, I stumbled upon the Hotel Communal in the Place Colignon and the Ste. Marie church, both beautiful old buildings worth seeing, as well as visiting the Botanique across the street from the hotel for a quieter moment in the midst of the city.

Also worth recommending for the adventurous and/or cheap are the Turkish restaurants on the Chaussée de Haecht -- I had a €4 lahmacun ("lah-mah-JOON", a pizza topped with ground lamb and spices) at one establishment somewhere around the Rue de l'Abondance. Look for places filled with Turkish people and you won't go wrong with the food.

Be aware that the red light district, including prostitutes sitting at plate glass windows at all hours, is located between the hotel and Gare du Nord (though south of the street I took to walk to the hotel the first morning, thankfully). However, as a woman traveling alone, I never felt unsafe in the area.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank sambagrrl07

Reviewed October 22, 2009

We stayed here for one night as part of a Eurostar / Hotel package. I think it ended up costing up £50 for one nights accomodatio which was quite reasonable. The hotel itself is about a 5-10 minute walk from the Brussels-Nord station, or 2 stops on the bus from the station, 61 I think. If you get Eurostar ticket it is valid on trains around Brussels and also your train ride to Bruges (if you are going there).

The rooms are great, very modern, well furnished, good size bed, flat screen TV. Breakfast was offered at 25 euro each, no thanks!

Our one complaint is that we had no hot water in the morning for our showers. I rang reception and they said they would send someone up. An hour later and we were still waiting so gave up and checked out. When we complained, they were apologetic and didn't make us pay the 5.50 euro city tax, so not really great compensation, but not much else we could do.

Apart from this we would recommend the hotel and would stay there again. One tip, if you are thinking of visiting Belgium, make sure you go to Bruges, we loved Bruges but didn't like Brussels at all, wouldn't go back (but that is just our opinion!).

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2009

We have just returned from this Hotel it was extremely busy indeed...... We arrived in pouring rain to room 814 which had a overpowering smell in of stale smoke but my husband thought it was musty? We tried to put the air con on but it blowed hot hair out I rang down to check and the reception told me to leave it 30 mins or so. I am not sure if they have Maintenance men. So to give it time to work off we went for a walk in the rain... Nothing around the hotel when we came back it had warmed the room up instead of cooling it down so we swiched off and opened the window......
We left a note in French and English for the maid to leave the window open the next day and she did.

The coffee machine only had one sachet of milk and one of decaf and one of ordinary coffee so unforetunley i went without a drink....

This hotel was 8 stops on the metro from Gare du midi...

The breakfast was very nice and plentiful but extremely busy indeed.
I guess the Hotel was full.

We did walk into the Grand Place and it took about 20 - 30 mins

In all I do not think we will return to Brussels as we prefer somewhere less busy and touristy .......

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2009

This hotel was good. It is clean and has bright, warm rooms. The bar is trendy--whatever--but I liked it anyway. Very colorful and design-y--I like to see how those design people put things together, so it was fun to just observe it. The food in the bar is very expensive, not the "best thing I ever ate," but good, well-prepared, and convenient if it's too late for a solo traveler to walk around finding a place to eat.

I opted not to spring for the 25 euro (!) breakfast. Every morning when I walked past the windows to get my croissant and cafe Russe from another place, the people in the breakfast room--not one of them--looked happy. Bad sign. So I felt glad that I opted out.

The staff were pretty friendly. When my room was freezing cold even after turning on the radiator an hour before, I called reception and they got me into another room within a few minutes. Ah, warm. Much better.

I did not put my do-not-disturb sign out one night (a Saturday), and there is no privacy lock on the doors, so the cleaning people stormed in after barely finishing a quick two-rap knock at 8:00 in the morning (Sunday). So, from my half-sleep, I had to squeak quickly that the room was occupied. At least they retreated immediately.

The hotel advertises free Internet access, and this worked beautifully well. I never had trouble connecting and the bandwidth was sufficient for me to use Skype, check E-mail, and use the Web the whole time I was there. There TV had excellent reception, though I did not watch much TV.

I had a street-side room and I could hear all kinds of street noise. Saturday night was quite raucous. I didn't mind this too much, but it could be a problem for someone who has trouble tuning that out.

When I first arrived, I stepped out of the hotel and didn't know which way I might want to go to stroll around a bit. One of the receptionists raced out after me, seeing that I was heading north and showed me a map of places that I might want to visit, which were all south and a bit west. I appreciated that. (A couple of days later I strolled a bit too far afield and ended up in a very rough part of town--guys hanging out in groups on street corners and stuff like that--for a mile or more. I kept my head up and walked fast to get back to a familiar part of the city again, and all was well.)

This is not a luxury hotel. But it is comfortable, and not too far from places you might want to visit. The staff are friendly enough. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 29, 2009

oh,this is a brilliant hotel.nearby metro station botanique(a minute on foot),or 15-20 walking from centre.very clean,relaxing with very helpfull stuff.an excellent breakfast buffet.the rooms are very warm and makes you the feeling to stay there all day...it is not necessary to book a room on the high floors to see the city by night.we've stayed at the 4th floor and we had a beautifull view.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

The room was modern, large and clean with free internet. The restaurant and bar looked fantastic and stylish. Cost of the breakfast is overpriced (25 Euro per day) and the tax c 5 Euro a day was not included. It has a good location close to city centre, metro and train station.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2009

I stayed for 3 nights at Hotel Bloom. Right next to the Bontanique Metro - which can be an accesses to and from the airport. Tram 272 from airport also drops you next to the hotel. Makes getting around Brussels very convient during the day. At night, when the Metro is closed, its like a 15-20 minute walk from the Grand Market back to the hotel.

Hotel is very stylish, renovated with trendy artworks and modern furnitures.
Though I booked the standard room, when I got there none was availiable , so I had to pay 10Euros more for a panoramic view room. It was definetly a great view overlooking the Bontanical gardens. Rooms were very big for even 2 people. Clean and comfortable.
In-room safety deposit box and free wireless internet - the two must haves for me.
Bathrooms were nice, though I dont think they were renovated like the room itself.
Fridge with 2 free waters, and a coffee/tea maker.
Breakfast was included in my bookings, and it was great. Fresh foods, juices, and a great eating area. I highly recommend booking the room with breakfast included.
There was a seperate restaurant/bar area... at night there seemed to be a DJ playing. Didnt go in, but nice to know I could grab a drink and enjoy some night life.
Price for this level of hotel in Brussels is amazing! I would definetly book again.

A note - Ordering the Brussels card was also very useful. It gave me unlimited access to many museums and activites, as well as access on the Metro/Trams/Buses. Can be bought in 24hr/19Euro,48hr/27E or 72hr/33E segments.

Concerns:
At times (passing in and out of the hotel) I would notice long queues of travellers waiting to check in/out because there would be only one staff member to check people in. And that same staffer would also answer the phones too. It took me like 20 minutes to get checked in.
Its located a few streets down from the Redlight district.
Also at night the streets seem deserted. I would be walking back at 11PM and Rue Royale would be void of all people/cars and this is on the weekend. Maybe there is a big party I wasnt invited too? So I guess location wise, at night when metro is closed, its a bit of a walk from central Brussels. Once late at night I walked from the Troone station back to the hotel and I only encountered 3 people. Not trying to scare people, just an unusual observation.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
NH Collection Brussels Centre
#16 of 199 in Brussels
Motel One
Motel One
#26 of 199 in Brussels

Been to Hotel BLOOM!? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hotel BLOOM!

Address: Rue Royale 250, Saint-Josse-ten-Noode, Brussels 1210, Belgium
Location: Belgium > Brussels > Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
#1 Best Value Hotel in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
#1 Romantic Hotel in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
#1 Luxury Hotel in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Price Range: $84 - $164 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Hotel BLOOM! 4*
Hotel BLOOM! is an artwork in perpetual evolution... A unique hotel in the heart of Brussels where no two rooms are alike. Each light-filled room is decorated with a unique hand painted fresco created by a young European artist. You can pick a room to your own taste. From sober to crazy: the choice is all yours.Whether you’re here to work or to have fun, at BLOOM! you will immediately feel a creative vibe that will inspire you and bring you new ideas. Stay with us and live a unique experience. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel BLOOM! reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Bloom Hotel Brussels