“Hype far exceeds the reality”
Review of Hotel BLOOM!

Hotel BLOOM!
Uppsala, Uppsala Län, Sweden
“Hype far exceeds the reality”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed 1 night earlier this year. Website suggested a modern, hip and comfortable hotel. Rooms were worn, tired and needed a lick of paint, although the art was good. Restaurant was awful. Room service is not available, so I went to the restaurant to get an evening meal - waiter forgot my drinks order after I paid. The meal was simply a case of ticking pasta or salad then selecting your toppings - I expected far more. Not enough coffee/tea in the rooms, any extra had to be purchased from a vending machine in the reception. Advertised (and priced!) as the Ritz, felt more like a bad Premier Inn!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Nina_A36

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We arrived at 11 at night and the staff were very helpful and swift in checking us in. We stayed for 4 nights and two days of our stay was so hot (35/36 degrees) we ended up staying in the hotel room during the hottest parts of the day and I thank Bloom! for having such lovely air con rooms otherwise we would have baked!

The room itself was very large and the design was really cool, absolutely loved it. Bathroom was a nice sized, clean with a massive mirror. I got a good deal from booking on the hotel Bloom! website which included breakfast if we booked more than 2 days. This was excellent and made it a lot easier because we did not necessarily want to spend ages finding a place to eat in the morning.

One evening we had the summer of '99 dinner which consisted of a pasta/salad menu where you could pick your ingredients and it cost $9.99. Got a good sized portion and it was surprisingly nice despite the cheap price!

The hotel is super close to a metro station but it a good 15-20 minute walk from the hotel to the grand place, where most things were. It is quite tedious getting the metro/walking back and forth if you want to make trips back to the hotel to take back shopping or just to relax for a bit. However, on one of the days we went to visit the Museum of fine arts and it was just a 10 minutes walk straight down the Rue Royale which was absolutely perfect!

Overall, we had an amazing time at hotel bloom. I was worried because some reviews of the hotel on TripAdvisor suggested it wasn't that good but I had an absolutely wonderful time there, the staff were attentive and pleasant and I would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Very close to the metro. We arrived at 11 pm and the night staff couldn't have been more helpful.

Agreed to a late check out of 1 pm . Room we were given overlooked the botanic garden and was very quiet. No glass screen in our bathroom, showers were good.
Didn't have breakfast , but thought it was very good value for money . About 110Euros online.

Room Tip: Ask for end room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Very stylish, large hotel - really spacious, luxury-feel rooms, thoughtfully decorated. Very good value for money - got a great deal with a combined Eurostar ticket. No breakfast in the deal, but there is a convenience store across the road open early. French restaurant opposite does decent food in the evenings.
Continuous, noisy, night-long hum of the bathroom fan was the only real downside - bring some earplugs if a light sleeper.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mi_mi_mi186220
London, England
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Was booked here on the suggestion of business colleagues in Brussels, and swayed by the reviews on TripAdvisor and Expedia, it was a terrible mistake.
Firstly: it was quite expensive - averaging £124 per night plus an additional 25 euros (per head) for breakfast (there are other extras, more of that later).
If you are staying here and look at a map and think: it's quite near to the train station (Brussels Noord), it would be nice to stretch my legs after sitting on a train; be warned - it's up a very steep hill, and Brussels Noord is in what my guidebook to Brussels charitably describes as: 'an area of prostitution'. Certainly, if you leave Brussels Noord even in the middle of the day you are greeted by some very unusual and very seedy sights, unsuitable for the less broadminded (my parents, for example) or children.
If you insist on walking after a long train journey I would suggest alighting at Brussels Centraal then wandering up Rue Royale.
Upon arrival you go through a set of huge revolving doors, I thought the person ahead of me had drenched herself in a cheap Calvin Klein Obsession knock-off, but no, it was the signature scent of the hotel, completely synthetic and overpoweringly strong. If you are asthmatic, or averse to cheap pongs you are going to be choking. I didn't regard this as a good sign: if an hotel is clean then it will smell clean, this gave the impression of dirt and an industrial strength Glade plug-in to conceal it.
The lobby is huge, and has trendy swinging seats, but you don't stay in the lobby; the staff seemed annoyed that someone had arrived to interrupt their day, but eventually allocated a room.

The room was quite small for what was going to be a £150 a night room; each room is painted in it's own style, mine was lurid blue and green which made the room seem smaller.
The furniture was a bit shabby, pen marks on the desk, the reclining chair had holes (presumably from a cigarette, although I had booked a no-smoking room) melted into the synthetic fabric, and a weird stain which I think (hope) was of make-up.
The bed was large and comfortable, but the sheet had a hole in it.
The view was of a very close grey residential tower block and two piles of rubbish left on the street downstairs.
The bathroom was vile: there was a hair on the tiles in the shower area of the bath, the bath was chipped and scuffed, the plug mechanism was cracked and broken (but had a replacement plug on a chain), the soap dish was grubby and at a jaunty angle, screwed into a cracked tile; the lavatory cistern had another hair on it; towels were very thin and one of the hand towels had another (i assume) make-up stain impregnated in it; the wallpaper was coming away from the wall. Annoyingly there was an exhortation to respect the environment by not washing the bath linen every day, although the television had been left on in the room, from when it was 'cleaned' to when I booked in at 4pm, welcoming me to the hotel; can anyone please explain the logic of that?
I went back to reception to complain about the general level of cleanliness, but there was already a woman loudly wailing: "I have used this hotel many times in the past, this is unacceptable, I won't be staying again!" and two others looking annoyed waiting to see the receptionist. I was expected at a meeting, so resigned myself to the fact that this wasn't a very nice place to stay and I should just tough it out for four days.
There was a coffee machine with a box of consumables (one pod of caffeinated, one of decaffeinated, one tea bag, if you want more you are expected to buy it downstairs).
Internet access was free for 60mb per day, but if you exceeded 60mb you either had to pay for more (another 5 euros, and the signal strength was poor) or be thrown off the internet for 24 hours - so you were only actually getting 30mb per day. Somehow I managed to exceed 60mb twice, even though I can monitor this on my phone and was nowhere near this limit.
I believe that the extra charge went to a charity (I like the option to decide which charity I shall donate to) and has been abolished now due to the level of complaints.
On the first morning I was woken by a loud drilling sound at 8am (7am UK time); I called the reception desk and it stopped after five minutes.
I was glad that I was out most days all day, and just slept there. I was meant to stay with my partner who had to pull out at the last minute due to a family emergency, and I am so happy I didn't have to subject them to this.
I really wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, for the price you have to be able to find something cleaner, and where you feel you aren't being exploited at every turn.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank MrHBeast
Roxy B, Manager at Hotel BLOOM!, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Mr. HBeast,

We are very surprised and sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience. But we are always thankful for tips on where to improve.

We will follow up on your complaints to make sure no other guest will experience the same.

But there is some good news already:
1. We did listen and the Internet is free now even beyond the limit we had in place previously.
2. Our bathroom renovation project is progressing but it will take time to get all our rooms done.
3. We have one of the largest standard hotel rooms in Brussels, starting with an L room of 30 m2.

We do have a unique bloom fragrance that is distributed in the lobby. Many of our guests like and often buy a bottle to take home. But we understand that the scent might not be right for everyone.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have encountered. Please contact us directly we would like to make this right.

Kind regards
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Not quite the 500m from the station that it claims. Once they had decided that an email confirmation finally was enough not to have to pay again for the room, the 25 minute check in was complete.

Rooms were nice clean and modern. Staff were smiley but clueless. Were told the bar was open until midnight so we decided to go back to the hotel early for a night cap (10.30) it was closed. A lot of things you would expect a quality hotel to offer as standard seemed to come at a cost.

Quite a way out from the city but close to the knocking shop.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sirsidneyruffdiamond
Goettingen, Germany
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights, the hotel is close to Gare Central and city center (we walked from Gare Central for about 10 minutes untill we reached the hotel - straight ahead untill the Finance Tower, than turn right, cross the street on your left side and the hotel is right in front of you). Paid 75 euro/ double room/ night. I have to say that before I started my trip I read all kind of negative comments which worried me, such as that Brussels is a city of crime and that the hotel area is bad... well, all I can say is that I have to stop beliving everything I read. I did not feel unsafe in Brussels, not even for a moment. Yes there may be pick-pockets, as in every other city in the world, obviously you have to take care of your belongings everywhere you go. And all the beggars are around the Gallerie Hubert anyway - city center :)) Otherwise we did not experienced any kind problems at all. Brussels is a city where you can go on your holiday, if you want to visit it, and a city in which you can also live (it is not as crowded as Paris for example). The hotel was ok, we had a large room with nice design, clean bathroom, AC and a small fridge. Also coffe machine (but we did not used it). The room had a view to the back side of the hotel, which was good because I think the front side was noisy - as it faces the street. I would not reccomend the Smoods restaurant downstairs, the glasses are really dirty (like they were not even washed), in our drinks we had a lemon with a sticker on it and the food is not so great. I found the area around the hotel relatively normal. We only walked there in order to go to the hotel or from the hotel untill city center/ bus station or metro station or to visit the Botanical Garden, but I have to admit that I did not go out at night as I prefer to visit the cities where I travel on day time.
Plus: large and clean rooms, with nice design, free acces to the fitness center (8th floor), close to Gare Central and city center, close to metro station (Botanique), bus and tram station (tram 92 and 94).
Minus: bad food and dirty glasses (at Smoods), not one of the best areas (for those who expect a residential area).

If I ever come back in Brussels, I would stay at another hotel closer to city center, just for another experience.

That being said, I hope you enjoy your stay here :)

PS: I would also reccomend you to visit Brugge for a day (you take the train from Gare Central, the journey takes about an hour to get there, costs 15 EURO - with return, and the city of Brugge is just beautiful). In Brussels you only need 3 days to visit it anyway, more time and you may get bored :))

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank livelaughlove2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Made in Louise
#24 of 199 in Brussels
Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre
Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre
#3 of 13 in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode

Been to Hotel BLOOM!? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hotel BLOOM!

Property: Hotel BLOOM!
Address: Rue Royale 250, Saint-Josse-ten-Noode, Brussels 1210, Belgium
Location: Belgium > Brussels > Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
#1 Best Value Hotel in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
#1 Luxury Hotel in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
#1 Romantic Hotel in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Hotel Class:4 star — Hotel BLOOM! 4*
Hotel BLOOM! is a unique hotel in the heart of Brussels where no two rooms are alike. Each light-filled room is decorated with a unique hand painted fresco created by a young European artist. You can pick a room to your own taste. From sober to crazy: the choice is all yours.Whether you’re here to work or to have fun, at BLOOM! you will immediately feel a creative vibe that will inspire you and bring you new ideas. Stay with us and live a unique experience. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Hotel.de, HotelQuickly and Priceline so you can book your Hotel BLOOM! reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Bloom Hotel Brussels