“Different sort of accommodations”

Welcome To My Place
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed at WelcomeToMyPlace for one night. Rooms were clean and spacious, bathrooms clean, beds comfortable, location satisfactory and in walking distance to main sites. Erick was a good and gracious host. We were, however, a bit startled by the accommodations as we were truly staying in his (small-ish) apartment. While we kicked ourselves for not recognizing the obvious (the name, after all, is "WelcometoMyPlace"), we didn't realize that this was the case until we walked into the apartment and somehow felt a bit like intruders into someone's living space. Perhaps that was due in part to the list of rules to abide by during the stay and the toothbrushes in the bathroom (that weren't ours). If you are the type of traveler that wants the anonymity of a hotel, or even the more generic feel of most B&B's, you might not want this accommodation. On the other hand, if you want to stay in a clean room with a nice host, knowing that you are in his apartment, this Brussels choice is great, although maybe a little overpriced. It was our fault to miss the concept of this place, so I figured I'd review to be sure it is clear to others.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Grizzwald11

Reviewed December 14, 2011

Stayed here recently with my wife. It was something different from a hotel but to be honest I'd rather just stay in a hotel it's not much cheaper and just can't compete with a hotel on a city break. Erick is a very nice guy and I wish him well but as accommodation goes it's just not what id expected.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Toadstools
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I spent 3 nights at "Welcome To My Place", in november, 2010.

The building is really well-located, very close to a subway station (2-3 minutes) and with easy access to buses (bus stop in front of the building).

Erick, the host, is very welcoming and helpful.

I had a very good room, with lots of space for my stuff and a very comfortable bed. It was also quiet, although it´s easy to hear when someone opens/ closes the other doors of the house.The bathroom and the WC (common use) were always clean.

Breakfast was gorgeous, with a lot of items to choose and a splendid coffee.

I just regret that Erick was not there during my whole stay, so I couldn´t enjoy more of his company and useful tips about the city.

And, finally, Erick has 2 cats (at least he had in 2010), which I loved, but it may be a problem if you´re allergic to them.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Viking_Janaluna
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I have just stayed at Erick's place for the 4th time in 18 months - so that should be a good enough recommendation. It is very convenient for tourism and for business - 2 minutes walk from the Metro. Erick is very helpful. The rooms are nice and spacious; they are even better now there is a dedicated shower for each room. It is good value for money for this location. Remember that this is a B&B - it is someone's home, so don't confuse it with an informal hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Returned for another visit, this time with friends and they really enjoyed it too. It is the kind of place that you do go back to in the same way that friends return to meet each other from time to time
With the new bathroom and shower it really is a pleasure to stay in this B and B which is in a great location in a stylish art nouveau apartment block

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank MarcelM
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I stayed with Erik for three nights in late April 2011. My overall experience was very good - the room was pleasant, spacious and very clean. The super-duper en-suite shower and the sweet cat Josephine were, for me, the highlights. It's not that there's something wrong with the apartment or with Erik - I second every compliment given by previous reviewers in that respect - it's just that, in my opinion, there wasn't anything this B&B had that others did not have. Erik is indeed a nice guy and the place is indeed lovely, but it didn't sweep me off my feet, as I feel it did some of the other reviewers. It's simply a very nice apartment to stay in for people looking for accommodations in the medium price range and do not mind being just a bit 'off center'.
My bottom line is this: the place deserves every praise lavished upon it in terms of cleanliness and friendliness, but budget-conscious travelers looking to stay in the center would be better off somewhere else, as 63 euros per night is quite a tidy sum. I would, however, recommend it to people doing business in the nearby financial district - at least that's what I'd call the nearby cluster of high-rise office buildings close to Congres station and the Botanical Gardens. Staying with Erik would be ideal for such people.

Room Tip: The baldaquin room has an awesome shower!