“More than just a nice view”

Pousada Viana Do Castelo
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Viana do Castelo
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We stayed at this Pousada for three nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Yes, the views from the hotel are fantastic and the basilica bells do ring all night but we were particularly impressed with the knowledge and helpfulness of the staff. We quickly became used to the hairpin bends on the drive (10 minutes) into Viana do Castelo where we found lots to see and do during our stay. We had two evening meals in the hotel making use of the set menu which was better value than most of the other Pousadas we stayed in.
All in all a good experience and a hotel which I would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 24, 2010

An imposing building at the top of the hill high above Viana, the Pousada is a welcome retreat after the twisting,winding roads leading up to it. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon, and had to negotiatenot just the bends but also crowds of pilgrims and tourists visiting the Basilica de Santa Luzia, which sits just below the Pousada. This is a driving experience not to be recommended for weary travellers at the end of a hot car journey. Choose a weekday.
The Pousada has a cool, elegant interior, with expansive public areas, chandeliers, sofas, armchairs and a beautiful terrace, and yes, that magnificent view ( according to the Receptionist, the best in the world).
Our stay for 3 nights was pleasant, comfortable and relaxed. The room had a small balcony opening on to the gardens and sea views. The beds were excellent, the bathroom tiny but functional.Luckily the soudproffing was first class otherwise the bells of the Basilica, ringing on the quarter, would have kept me awake.
Dinners was average, but the set menu only 20 Euros a head. Breakfast was very good.
Drinks from the bar ( very tempting as you sit on the terrace) are expensive. The management could consider discount vouchers for residents.
The one complaint I have about the Pousada is the endless loop of muzak, My Way, Dont cry for me Argentina and so on ( and on), such a pity in these elegant surroundings.
We stayed at the Pousada in Tavira later and were relieved to have Portuguese Fado and some Bizet playing, occasionally as we ate breakfast in the cloisters.
Eat dinner in Viana's Old Town, a compact, walkable area ( free parking after 9 pm). The distinctive pedestrianised centre is the Praca da Republica. We ate at the Adega do Padrinho, very touristy, with a pushy waitress. Much better is A Marisqueira,, Rua General Luis do Rego, a small place down a side street; a gentle, charming owner meets you with a touch of Jose Mourinho about him. His wife cooks the best roast goat I have ever tasted, and the bill was embarrassingly reasonable .

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Manager-Pousadas, Manager at Pousada Viana Do Castelo, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2010

Dear Customer, Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Pousada de Viana and for taking the time to post this review. We certainly enjoyed reading your review and would like to thank you for your evaluation, which we have shared with our staff. We hope to be able to welcome you again in a near future. Best wishes. The Management

Reviewed March 9, 2010

We only spent one night at this Pousada - maybe if I had been staying for longer I would have been allocated a better room - but if I had to stay longer in the very cramped room for which I paid over 110 Euros, I would have been even more displeased!
The room was spotlessly clean and fully carpeted (which is unusual in Portuguese hotels) but why so tiny? No work space or dressing table, just a bed (comfortable enough for 1 night), bedside tables, 2 boudoir chairs, a TV and a quite useless half-moon table affixed to the wall at the foot of the bed.
The staff were friendly, polite and obliging. No complaints there.
The food was good but way over priced (a common feature at Pousadas - where they tend to believe that having got you inside their remotely located establishment and away from the competiton, they can charge through the nose for food & beverages).
The menu for evening meal lacked imagination & offered only a limited choice - but still cost over €80,. for the 2 of us.
I complained to the management at being asked to pay €3,- for what is normally a complimentary bottle of drinking water in the room. I consider that scandalous. Bottled water costs between 15 & 20 cents at the supermarket!
Another aggravation was the WiFi Internet access.
I used my laptop in the residents' lounge to get on line without any problem. The hotel WiFi network allowed me access straightaway without demanding a password but when I tried to access it again from the room, I was asked to contact reception and obtain a password. Reception duly informed me that it would cost me €5,- but if I wished, I could use the public PC in the lobby for free. Does this make sense to anybody?
It certainly doesn't to me!
Viana do Castelo is a charming & attractive town and well worth a visit if touring northern Portugal. The view from the top of the hill (or "Monte" as they call it in Portuguese) is magnificent but when you have seen it, that's enough! There are numerous other hotels right in the town itself (this Pousada is 6 or 7 Kms up the hill, out of town) and restaurants of all descriptions abound so there is plenty to choose from to suit all budgets.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank EstorilEckers
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Pousada de Viana do Castelo (#18) and Pousada Monte de Santa Luzia (#4) are the same hotel (check the picture). We have stayed there several times and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2009

The service was excellent . We had reserved a twin room, and paid a little extra for a panoramic sea view, and it was certainly worth the few extra Euros. The view from our room was superb. The room itself was a normal twin-bedded room , nicely decorated. The location was at the top of a twisting narrow cobblestone road , high above the city and the Santuario de Santa Luzia basilica, perched on the wooded hill of the same name.
There is a funicular that takes you to the city , which operates until 6PM.
We dined at the hotel restaurant, the food was excellent and all the staff at the hotel , and restaurant that we encountered were helpful , friendly , and very attentive.
I would describe this hotel as elegant.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank MaryJo8
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We hosted our wedding in the Pousada's restaurant, and all the rooms were booked by our friends & family from all four corners of the world. I think everyone enjoyed their stay there immensely. The big pluses in my mind are: the views, the food, the staff and the very chilled out, elegant and peaceful setting. The rooms have been recently updated so the previous comments about the faded decor don't apply anymore.
Its a very romantic location and would definitly suit those looking to get away for a weekend.
That said, it is a little bit removed from the centre of the town (i.e. 10 minutes down to the town by taxi, which are anyway cheap & plentiful): the town itself is small, and the central historic part is compact & pretty much can be seen within a day.
Outside of the town there are other sights and attractions including beaches, but most of these would require a car to get there.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2009

In my opinion Pousada de Santa Luzia is one of the most beautiful places we have ever seen (and me and my husband travelled a lot). It is more than superb. More than beautiful. More than gorgeous. The rooms are above and beyond! Especially ones with the river view. It is very very quiet and tranquil and relaxing!!! As you were in another, more beautiful reality.

If you are just passing by that region - it`s worthwhile visit this pousada. Just to have a look at such a beauty. I can sincerely recommend to stay there.

This pousada belongs to Pestana Group - very famous, high level hotels with a stainless reputation.

Impecavel staff always with a smile and is very helpful.

Magnificant place