All reviews santa luzia fantastic views the river grand hotel corner room winding road funicular railway gorgeous hotel spent nights here public rooms are pestana group old world charm breakfast buffet the atlantic ocean hill overlooking dual aspect pork
Reviewed October 12, 2018

The pousada, at the end of a long, winding road from the town, is in a beautiful location, with spacious, comfortable rooms, and a fine restaurant (and breakfast buffet). The staff was very helpful in getting us settled in and accomodating our requests. The views of the town, the church, and the ocean, from the grounds are spectacular as well.

Date of stay: October 2018
Review collected in partnership with Pestana Hotel Group
Reviewed October 11, 2018

I arrived here at night.
Already driving up all the way from the city center until you reach the top of the hill (that dominates wonderful Viana do Castelo and offers world class 5 star views!) is an adventure of its own. Great or more than just great!
When you park your car in front of the Pousada, your heart starts to beat faster than normal. Because you feel inside you already from outside that you will soon step into a fairy tale like hotel that you will never forget till the last day of your life!
This Pousada is my absolute favourite one of all Pousadas in Portugal. It is not just a hotel, but an institution. A palace. It makes part of Viana. It is the „grand old lady“ of Viana do Castelo!
The concierge at reception welcomed me in a highly professional and friendly, cordial way. The lobby looks very beautiful and impressive. Huge windows offer spectacular panoramas on Santa Luzia church, my favourite monument in Portugal that is so spiritual, beautiful and unique.
My room had the best possible views, it was on a high floor and directly in front of the amazing church. The décor of the room was what I expected it to be. Very comfortable, very cozy, good beds, nice bathroom, perfect room service late at night. Everything was perfect!
I had showders all over my body when I woke up the other morning, because when I opened my eyes and saw the view.... I simply could not believe it! So far I travelled to 124 countries all over the world, but in 25 years of very intense travelling I rarely got such an amazing view from a hotel room! Please have a look at the attached photo...
I was just sitting on my chair for half an hour and taking countless photos.
The next surprise was the breakfast. This hotel has by far the loveliest breakfast room of Portugal (this is my personal opinion, of course...). The room itself is a pure beauty, with golden chandeliers and such a tasteful interior decorating. The buffet itself was top class, nothing to add. Just 5 stars! The weather was stunning, and I could sit outside on the big terrace to enjoy my breakfast with that one million dollar view. Life can not be better, I found a little paradise here!
The hotel has beautiful gardens around, and also a swimming pool in a secluded area. Well done.
There is absolutely nothing at this hotel that was not perfect for me. I loved to stay here, it stimulated me, it made me happy, energetic and positive.
Santa Luzia church is an incredible place, it can compete with top monuments in the biggest cities of the world. Try to go there on a Sunday, the atmosphere is particularly wonderful. Of course you can walk from the hotel to the church. Both ways are lovely to walk. Downhill you can admire the church, and uphill the hotel.
Every person who is in search of the TOP places in Portugal absolutely must stay here at this Pousada. It is a stunning and amazing place, an experience that one should not miss. To be honest, I spent all the time I had at this hotel and the church, without even visiting the city center. Shame on me, but I will come back and stay longer. This is a magic place to me, and I can say that with all my sincerity after having lived in Portugal since 2013. In these 5 years I really saw ALL important places of Portugal. Viana do Castelo and its fairy tale Pousada are a MUST if you visit Portugal! If you love romance, fairy tale atmosphere, splendid views, good food, nice service and the feeling to stay in a Palace, the chance that you will love this place is 100%! Nobody will not love it...
Of course one should preferrably visit in the nice and sunny summer months between May and September. In the winter the weather tends to be harsh and rainy.

Room tip: Necessarily you need to book a room or Suite with a view onto Santa Luzia church
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2018

This property was wonderful and its views were stunning. Our room was quite large and had a breathtaking view. the front desk and housekeeping were excellent. all this made for an unforgettable stay. Unfortunately, the meal service, particularly dinner was not very good. The food choices were very limited and not very good for so nice a property. I would think they would be able to get a first rate kitchen staff at a property like this. its too bad because the property was awesome.

Date of stay: October 2018
Reviewed October 6, 2018

Beautiful building, almost at the top of a mountain overlooking the town of Viana do Castelo. Lucky to be given a lovely room directly overlooking the Basilica da Santa Luzia. I was often drawn to the window to gaze on the stunning scene below, sometimes clear and occasionally mystically shrouded in mist from the clouds. I cannot praise the staff highly enough, such nice people eager to please their guests and they all worked very hard indeed to make our stay enjoyable. The food was outstanding both at breakfast and dinner. An excellent place to stay though the drive up to it is via hairpin bends! Unavoidable if you want to stay at the top of a mountain!

Room tip: Ask for one facing the basilica. I felt mine on the first floor was at exactly the right height for the best photos of the scene below.
Reviewed October 4, 2018

Excellent place for a holiday while in Portugal. We traveled to Porto from there easily. The tram made it so easy to go into town for dinner or exploring. We enjoyed the food, the views. We couldn’t stop taking pictures it was so beautiful.

• Trip type: Traveled with family