Just back from a 1 week holiday at the Axix Vermar. Room was clean and adequate for our needs. Some people had free tea and coffee in rooms so we asked and got it too. View of the beach from balcony but sadly didn't use balcony due to chilly winds. Remember we are talking about mid-June and the wind was enough to blow you over. Rain and cold winds on 1st day and each day thereafter was dry but not warm enough to use pool.
Food was adequate but often not hot enough. Meals were pretty much the same every day. Would have loved a fried egg or omelette or pancake for breakfast but it was rubbery scrambled eggs, streaky bacon and tinned sausages. How I longed for some mushrooms and grilled tomatoes too. There was also cereal, fruit, bread, cakes etc though.
Evening meal never varied. It was ALWAYS a pasta dish, fish and a choice of 2 meats (usually pork or turkey/chicken) but the veg was never hot enough. Plenty of salad available and soup (ALWAYS veg every single night) but it was OK. Desserts were fresh fruit or a variety of spongey cakes. Never saw cream, creme fraiche or icecream all week which would have made a pleasant change.
There was no entertainment whatsoever - we did see a keyboard but no player. Too cold and windy in the evenings to go for a walk because we didn't bring coats so we sat around and had a drink and then went to bed early. That was all there was to do and we did miss an evening walk.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and if we needed anything we found the staff helpful. Just felt the samey food and it not always being hot enough let it down. Some nights there was a huge queue for food and this was also a bit off-putting but we managed. I'd score this hotel and facilities 7/10.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Novotel Porto Vermar is a 4 star hotel on the beach in Povoa de Varzim, only 20 km from the international airport and 35 km from the centre of Porto. Perfect for your next business trip or for a holiday with your family, the hotel offers 208 airconditioned rooms, including 125 non smoking rooms and 12 suites, eight meeting rooms with natural light for your conference and seminar needs, a restaurant, bar, private parking, swimming pool, tennis court and a terrace area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Axis Vermar Conference & Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Axis Vermar Conference And Beach Hotel
- Novotel póvoa De Varzim
- Novotel Povoa De Varzim
- Novotel Hotel Porto Vermar
- póvoa De Varzim Novotel