“Possibly the worst food I've ever been offered, and they thought it was fine!”
Review of Sai Cao

Sai Cao
Ranked #107 of 2,069 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: Portuguese
Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

The reviews about the queues are true. I can't think why as I've had better food for less in Porto.
I've been eating Cod and Chips for 60 years so was interested in the House Special Bacalhoa, preceded by Vegetable Soup.
The Vegetable Soup was tasty and hot.
The Cod defied belief.
It was wasn't very hot. The old chips were floating in cooking oil. I've had better batter from a frozen packet before it's cooked. The fish was tough and rubbery and tasted of burnt plastic. The kitchen staff thought this was fine.
As a substitute I asked for a salad. I have no idea what this tasted like because it was swamped in salt. After one mouthful I could feel my blood pressure rising.
I only paid because the beer and soup were OK and they had made some effort, also being English I don't like a fuss.
The night before I ate nearby and paid three times as much but got ten times the value :- soup, excellent steak, wine, postre and coffee in elegant surroundings.
"Little Gem" my foot!

Reviewed July 5, 2018 via mobile

My family and I (4 people) went there to have dinner, tempted by one YouTube review. Totally worth it! We had steak, ribs, fish dish and calamari, served with rice and fries, a 25cl of wine and a huge bottle of water. Everything was cooked beautifully, the meat was tender and the calamari crispy on the outside and delicate inside. But the best is yet to come: for all of this we paid 29 Euro :)))))) Thumbs up for a great service as well - the waiter explained everything in detail so that we know what to expect. The place is super local, off the beaten tourist track. Highly recommended!

Reviewed June 28, 2018 via mobile

We had dinner here 27/6/18. Two couples. A little off putting from the outside but from the moment we walked in we had the greatest time. I think the staff are all one big family? Love and laughter all night. We loved the friendly service and the meals were even better. Steaks and ribs, huge portions, delicious flavours. And the prices so low you wonder they can make ends meet, until you see the crowds (mostly locals) that swarm in all night. We were the first people there at about 7.15 and by 8.00 it was totally packed with people on the footpath waiting for tables. 3 steaks, 1 ribs, 6 beers, 2 carafes white wine, desserts, coffees, liqueurs. €63 !! Just sorry we left it for our last night so we couldn’t return.

1  Thank Indiman9
Reviewed June 6, 2018 via mobile

Really good, tasty food, typical portuguese atmosphere, cheap for the quality of the menu, I recommand posta na Sai Cao which is delicious!!!

Reviewed May 31, 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is full of locals! The food comes very fast and it is Great. you can speak english - someone will understand you for Sure. We were at 19:30 and it was the time, just 30 min later There was No place to sit

1  Thank Marta F