“Nice rooms, art district, service ok!”

Eurostars Das Artes Hotel
Ranked #30 of 108 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

I work in a hotel and have reasonably high expectations of service. The welcome was friendly, there were two nice gentlemen on reception but one one particular lady a bit short. She didnt seem to care and even gave us wrong directions! We asked where to pick up the 202 and she said to get to where we wanted on the seafront we could get the 201. Wrong it took us way of course and meant me and my mum had to work out the metro completely out of town where noone around spoke English. Very annoying and lucky were pretty savvy otherwise it would have been an expensive taxi ride. It also added a good hour to our journey! In leaving the hotel no one bothered to help is down the stairs with our bags even though there were 4 team members just chatting a few metres away. Little things make a big difference and they weren't all there. But service ok. Housekeeping were good, room was always tided and clean.

No tea and coffee facilities in the room. Otherwise room was good, a few things could do with sprucing up - grouting in the bathroom was stained and bitty and the sink was chipped... Large window that opened which was great and TV with 4 English speaking channels. Good shelving, hanging space. Safe in room.

We had breakfast two mornings. €12 per person, all you can eat. No complaints really, fresh juice and fruits. Breads, meats, cheese and bacon sausage and egg.

Printer for use in the lobby and free computer usage. Wifi is free.

About a 10-15 minute walk from town but not a bad walk! Supermarket close by and cafes. Recommend Apasta on the same road and Bugo Art burgers is amazing!

Overall a nice hotel and safe location

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank ClaireDillon
There are newer reviews for Eurostars Das Artes Hotel

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I spent 4 nights in this hotel during January 2013. I took a bus from the airport and It takes to me more than 1 hour. So, better take a cab. The hotel its a little bit away from the downtown, but in a 10 minutes nice walk you can reach the centre of the action. Around the corner there is a supermarket, restaurants and cafes.

The hotel is very clean and modern. Rooms are nice, well decorated and have free wifi and few option on TV. I was traveling alone and I never had any trouble walking at late night in the neighbourhood.

Also the price is very good, for equivalent rates you only can find hostels and bad maintain properties. I arrived to this hotel running away from a TERRIBLE hotel I booked in Expedia: they offered a 4 starts hotel called Solar Residencial S Gabriel and it was terrible. I lost my money with Expedia.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank katrios
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My heart always sinks a little when I get to my hotel room and it could literally be anywhere in the world. And that's how I sum up this hotel. The bedrooms are so utterly bland and soulless with dull and slightly tired and scuffed furniture. Given the art reference in the name, it was ironic that the walls are bare and there's no nice accessories that would perhaps make this feel a bit nicer. The Lonely Planet used words like 'boutique' feel and 'handsomely decorated' about this hotel so perhaps there are better rooms but the one I had would not win any awards. The walls were also paper thin so I was woken up thinking someone was showering in our room and the welcome we received at check-in was fantastically abrupt to the point of rudeness.

On the plus side, if you're not bothered about your surroundings and want something reasonably priced and clean then this would do the job. If I visit again I will definitely check out the Gallery Hostel around the corner which looked fantastic.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Anya B
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Got a great rate on this hotel as I was staying in January.

I stayed in the new wing which is off the road and so was very quiet. Room is modern and very clean. Maybe just a little small (just enough room to walk around the bed) although it was not a problem.

Front desk staff were great, asking how many devices you had for wifi acces and helping to print out boarding passes.

Didn't try the breakfast or eat in the restaurant. There are many small cafes around the hotel.

It's a short walk to the main tourist areas. Note that Porto is quite hilly.

The only drawback is that the hotel is not close to a metro station so you have to take taxis to the airport or train station or drag your bags along the streets.

Overall a great hotel and would stay again

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Schkuder
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Spent a night in this hotel in a business trip to Porto. The hotel looks very new, the rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. Breakfast buffet was very good. The staff is helpful and correct.
We are travelling more and more on tight budgets and are constantly looking into the price of hotels; and the good thing about this hotel is that the price is very good for the quality and is highly recommendable because one feels that you are not in a budget hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms on the inside (in the newer building) are quiet
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Spent two nights in last December and the hotel is still the same. Very nice and large rooms, tremendous breakfast and the most thoughtful clerks in the reception. If you reserve in advance, you still get excellent offers (we payed less than 50 EUR a night with breakfast). Nothing more to say. Just stay there and you will love it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank e1000lewing
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The staff could not have been more helpful, and the room was exactly where we had asked for it to be - far from the lift and on a high floor. It felt newly done and very clean. Breakfast was not included in our rate (we got it on air miles) but we each paid €12 and gorged ourselves on the huge buffet. The next day we ate at one of the small cafes pointed out to us by the guy on the desk. It was the perfect weekend getaway and only a fifteen minute/€30 ride from the airport. I would happily go again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple