“4 Friends in Portugal”

Ranked #7 of 163 Porto B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“4 Friends in Portugal”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We really loved our short stay in Porto and if we could of changed our vacation plans we would of definitely stayed longer at the Casa dos Loios. The boutique hotel was really wonderful and the staff were awesome! They were very welcoming and made us feel special (which after having some trouble in France - we adored all the attention). The staff arranged a morning tour which was perfect as we only had a day and we were able to at least get a feeling for Porto. Must go back! The location was perfect walking distance to the river, metro (train) and many sites. We got there by taxi in the dark and weren't too sure, as there was only a tall door amongst buildings on a narrow street - but once in, we saw how perfect it all was. The Shiadu Boutique Guesthouses are very professionally run (we also stayed at the Monte Belvedere in Lisbon) - it was great staying at both.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Santa Clara, CA
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I chose this hotel based on the Trip Advisor reviews. It was a wonderful experience. Marco, Ines, and Patricia were so kind and helpful. Marco said he wants guests to feel like this is their home, and it felt that way. They set you down right away and give you a map and point out the important areas to visit. The location is fantastic. The rooms were good size. You do have to lock yourself in the room with the old-fashioned room key, and the lights in the exterior hallways are on motion sensor, but I got used to it. There is no one on site after 10pm but they are back at 7am. Being a solo woman traveler, I wasn't sure how I would feel about that at first, but after the first night, I didn't even think about it again. The breakfast is delicious. They always have cake (a different one each day!) and these yummy french toast slices that you can grab any time of day, and offer a glass of port if you so desire. There is a great restaurant directly across the street called Baga that I would highly recommend. I had to move to another hotel for my last two nights in Porto and was really sad to have to leave Casa dos Loios. I had to change my schedule and they were very accommodating in adjusting my reservation, which I really appreciated.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank 2006world_traveler!
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed October 11, 2013

When arriving at the city center and watching the Casa dos Loios façade, one is not expecting to find such a cool interior and a true warming accueil.
In fact, when you're asked if you had a good flight on your arrival, or if you had a good night sleep in the morning by the always friendly staff, it makes you feel at home.
Definitely my home when at Oporto.
Inesquecivél ( unforgettable )!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank M_Mestre2013
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed in this guesthouse for 2 nights while cycling the Portuguese Camino. The staff were amazing and took the time to sit down with us on arrival to work out exactly what we would like to do during our short stay. We had stayed in the sister hotel in Lisbon and had the exact same experience. They are all obviously really well trained in giving this personalised attention - a brilliant formula and one that I have never come across before. We needed to get a bag transferred to Santiago and Ines and colleague couldn't have been more helpful in organising it. They also organised a tuk tuk tour for us and in general made us feel very at home. The location is excellent and within walking distance of all the major sights. It was very hard to find as the entrance is a single fairly ordinary door that looks like the entrance to someones home. However, the non-descript entrance belies a very impressive interior with beautiful restored staircase and outdoor terrace. It was reasonable value for money and I would definitely stay here again if ever I am luck enough to be back in Porto.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed October 4, 2013

In an excellent, prime location in Porto center.
Fantastic and rich styling in a beautifully restored house.
Decoration combining antique furniture and design modern comfort.
Everything in excellent condition.
Very helpful and super-friendly hosts.
Unique Patio terrace to relax after a city walk.
Informal atmosphere feels like home.
Excellent value for money, not a single bemol, unless you absolutely want fitness or swimming pool.
Look no further, its most probably the best you can get in Porto for this budget.

Room Tip: Our room was looking out on the beautiful Patio terrace. We slept with the window wide open. Not a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We spent for 4 nights in this pleasant hotel. The location is the best (few minutes walking from all the touristic sights in the city). The decoration is unique and the rooms are really comfortable. I'm really happy to say that I never met a Staff so lovely and prepared. I would like to thank Marco, Ines and Patricia, for being so kind and courteous with me and my family. We really felt as we were at home. You guys are the best. I highly recommend this place for everyone and I will definitely stay there again when I go back to Porto.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GabrielPCPinto
St. Gallen
Reviewed September 23, 2013

A lovely furnished new b&b with extremely helpful and kind staff. The breakfast contains delicious homemade cakes that are available for free the whole day after. The location is in the center of the city, so most important sights are reachable within walking distance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple