“Lovely!”

Essencia Restaurante Vegetariano
Reserve with
Essencia Restaurante Vegetariano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 1,878 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: Deli, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Great restaurant, lovely food, beautiful, wonderful staff. The owner is so nice and she was knowledgeable about all the items. Worth the cab ride (6 euro cab ride from the water area, really not that far).

Write a ReviewReviews (1,186)

Reviewed May 13, 2014

After reading several reviews about this place, my friend and I decided we had to check it out. Reserving a table was easy - but finding the place was slightly difficult. Taxi drivers didn't seem to understand where the place was, but when we eventually found it, it was worth it. We had a three course meal each, and a bottle of wine, and considering that, it was still rather cheap. I just couldn't believe some of the desserts we had were vegan! They were beautifully made and lovingly presented, which was wonderful because we met the people making/serving us and it was easy to tell that they all enjoyed what they did. From a meat eaters point of view (my friend is vegetarian while I am not), I stuck to all the vegetarian food/Vegan just to try it, and I must say I think I will do it more often in future. It was lovely, completely thrilled!

1  Thank Suzu J
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We went here after reading the reviews. It was a bit of a walk from our hotel (about two miles) but worth it for the selection on the menu. Much more of a "proper" restaurant (veggie places are often more cafe style). They do also serve meat dishes but the main food is vegetarian/vegan. The service was good and the prices reasonable. If it wasn't so far from the centre of Porto, we would have made a return visit.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We (a family of 4, ages from 17 to 48) made a weekend visit to Porto and found this restaurant on tripadvisor.
We are not vegetarians, but we eat less meat than we use and vegetables are part of our daily diet. The experiences we had from vegetarian restaurants in Lisbon were good (two of the best in Europe are located there) and we choose to try this one in Porto.
We asked four different dishes (two not vegetarian); cod, shrimp’s risotto; tofu and saitan curry and mushrooms with asparagus. We all tried the dishes to make a family evaluation. The curious is that we couldn’t decide wish one was better, because they were all fantastic. The ingredients were very fresh and the making and presentation perfect. The cod was outstanding; the risotto on the point, having abundant shrimps; the curry with the right balance of spices; and the asparagus and mushrooms with a blend of unexpected Mediterranean flavors.
In the end, we decided to share a dessert, because we couldn’t eat more, and we ended having two (one a suggestion from the waiter): cranberries pie and carmodomo ice cream. It looked like if we didn’t eat anything before. The contrast of textures and the different sweet flavors made the prefect closure for this meal. It worth mentioning we drank a bottle of green wine made with Alvarinho grapes, and we paid for everything 82€. The price is unbeatable for this quality, and much cheaper than the vegetarian restaurants we know in Lisbon. The only problem is that I’ am now facing a huge pressure to go back to this one, instead of trying the others we listed for this visit… Don’t miss it!

1  Thank vitor96
Reviewed May 8, 2014

On our wedding anniversary, my wife and I went to have dinner at Essência and were surprised to find out the restaurant already existed since 2009. We had never heard of it until I found it on Tripadvisor. Our reservations were made through Besttables website. As we arrived we were brought to cozy table similar to a booth. The ambient was quiet and not that many tables were occupied. The service was careful and nice.
We had the recommended entrees: 'Troucha' and vegetarian 'Alheira'. Both tasted lovely and we were surprised that the vegetarian Alheira had a similar taste to a meat Alheira.
As a main course we had the shrimp risotto and the indian seitan curry and both tasted really good.
For desert we had the lime pie and "variety of nuts" cheesecake. The lime pie was light, fluffy and had a bit of lime aftertaste. The cheesecake was very tasty, but a heavy desert since the doe of the cheesecake is made out of different kind of nuts only.
We are definitely going back one of these days.