“Disgusting”

Description: In the Mercure Hotel, Porto
Kingston, Canada
“Disgusting”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were tired after a day of exploring Geres and decided to just eat at the hotel restaurant. Our server was rude and never let us finish a sentence before rushing off. Therefore he missed important requests like our drink orders and the fact that my sister has coeliacs. He brought us bread twice and both times we had to tell him we couldn't eat it. They then charged us 7euros for the bread. It took another server ten minutes to reverse the charges.

My tagliatelle was overly oily, had mushy courgettes and peppers, and not nearly enough pasta for the price. My sister's steak was grisly and the spinach it was meant to be served with was three uncooked leaves of spinach.

Avoid this place.

Visited May 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Horrible.”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Both the service and food were awful here. I got the steak with Serra cheese and spinach. There were 3 leaves of plain spinach, covered with the tiny, gristly steak. There was the tiniest bit of cheese on the plate and I couldn't even taste it because the entire dish was covered in a terrible sauce. My sister ordered the vegetable tagliatelle, and it had no sauce and mushy vegetables that looked as though they were from a can. We were charged for couverts, €7 total, despite telling them we did not want any (as I have coeliacs and can't touch bread!) and had to wait for a great deal of time for the bill to be corrected. Our server was abrupt and rude and would walk away when we asked for anything. Disgusted by the food and incredibly frustrated by the service.

• Visited May 2013
El Cerrito, California
“It's not for the food...”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Disclaimer: This review is not about the food.

I would happily review the food, if we had been allowed to eat at this restaurant. Unfortunately, the manager refused entry, pointing to my husband's shoes and saying, "No flip flops."

Now, I understand not wanting people to be dressed too casually at dinner. The problem was, my husband wasn't wearing flip flops. He was wearing medically necessary orthopedic shoes. I know they aren't swanky footwear, but they certainly aren't flip flops. When this was pointed out, the manager just became increasingly angry, pointing at a teeny sign on the wall, bellowing "no flip flops."

Ugh. The hotel website touts this restaurant as a "warm and welcoming place." Ha. The decor is something of an upscale McDonald's, overly lit, with white plastic tables and orange plastic chairs. There were exactly two tables occupied when we arrived at 9:30 p.m. on a Saturday night, including one table with 3 children who appeared to be under the age of 8.

All I can figure is that they wanted to close the kitchen (if so, why not say so? Certainly that would be less annoying.), they don't like Americans (I hesitate to believe this, but...), or he really really didn't like my husband's shoes. If that's the case, good luck with that dress code thing in a vacation hotel.

• Visited May 2012