“You can't go wrong with this Sheraton” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa

Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 103 Hotels in Porto
Puerto Rico
“You can't go wrong with this Sheraton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was surprised of this hotel ,very clean , staff where very helpful and with great service. This is a top quality hotel compared with others of this caliber - very modern, very clean with all the amenities.True the b amazing glass elevators provides an elegant touch. The bathroom has high tech features - huge soaking tub and a separate shower (water pressure was okay). The beds were ok not a heavenly bed but standard for Europe hotels. Location: The location is a business district far from the city. We had the advantage that we had a private tour guide that pick us up every day. The only disadvantage we found was that there was no quality restaurants near buy.The Hotel restaurant fancy but to expensive not suprised of this feature. Overall, very good hotel. I would recommend this hotel, but you have to be ready to take cabs everywhere based on the location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SheratonPortoHotel, General Manager at Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Guest,
It is indeed very rewarding to receive Guests like yourself, who take the time to convey their thanks to us. Such comments certainly help us in motivating our staff and, more importantly, assist us to provide a more personal and efficient service.
We’ll look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa very soon.

Yours sincerely,
Manuel Diéguez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I'm used to Sheraton's in the US, which honestly are not my first choice of hotels, so when I arrived at the Sheraton in Porto, I was very pleasantly surprised at how nice the hotel was. This is a top quality hotel- very modern, very clean with all the amenities. The best part (and I know this sounds silly), but they had amazing glass elevators which gave you a very cool view of the hotel as you were going up. From an architecture standpoint, this hotel was very cool.

Rooms: Very clean. We were upgraded to a suite, so the room was huge. The bathroom was awesome- huge soaking tub and a separate shower (water pressure was okay). The beds were very firm, not what I like, but standard for Europe hotels.

Location: The location is less than ideal. It's a far walk from the center of town, the water and any tourist attractions. I was disappointed that this hotel was so far off the beaten path- at least for leisure travel. Not sure if this is a good location for business. You definitely need to take cabs to any place you want to be.

Service: The staff was very attentive, very knowledgable and always helpful. We were always greeted with a smile.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JJFigs
, General Manager at Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is indeed very rewarding to receive Guests like yourself, who take the time to convey their comments to us. Such comments certainly help us in motivating our staff and, more importantly, assist us to provide a more personal and efficient service.
Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa soon.

With my very best regards,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

the only downside is its slightl poor location..a little bit out of the centre but not in a bad spot at all,,,,rooms were excellent big comfy beds and large and luxurious bathrooms ..room service was excellent .lunch snack menu was perfect as was breakfast...star point was the wonderful; spa and pool perfect for families and really did make the stay,,,no complaints at all with great staff to assist ,,really good value in my opinion,,,hope you try it out

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice comments.
We are happy to learn that you have fully enjoyed our property.
We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in a near future.

Best regards
Somerville, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

This is my first Tripadvisor review, posted to alert others to a strange policy at this hotel that could affect those who book "non-smoking" rooms.

I visited the Sheraton Porto on my honeymoon; at the time, the hotel was hosting a meeting for a biotech firm. Booked solid, the hotel checked me into a smoking room without saying a word (!) or offering an apology -- perhaps hoping we wouldn't notice the heavy smoke smell? Because of indifferent "customer service" from staff members at the front desk after requesting a room change twice, I called Starwood customer relations back in the US, who filed a complaint with the hotel.

To the hotel's credit, the front desk manager met me upon check-out in the morning. While apologetic, the corporate complaint led her to (reluctantly) admit that it's hotel policy to convert dedicated smoking rooms into "non-smoking" by spraying a scent when there are large groups -- and the hotel has more confirmed "non-smoking" bookings than it can handle. As a Starwood frequent traveler, they refunded the points I'd used to book, offered some additional points as a gesture, and covered our parking, but this experience marred our trip -- I was up half the night with asthma-related breathing troubles and exhausted the next day. Also, I can't remember another time when there's been such a blatant attempt to withhold information (that the room was really for smokers) by multiple hotel staff.

Until the hotel's policy is changed -- and I can book a guaranteed non-smoking room -- I wouldn't consider staying here again.

One other word of advice: while it could be great for business, the location of this hotel is a bit isolated, outside of central Porto -- I'd figured the Metro ride would be simpler than it was -- but the location definitely makes sightseeing and eating out in the evening a bit more challenging.

Room Tip: Even a non-smoking booking won't guarantee you a non-smoking room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank hautecontre
, General Manager at Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for having selected Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa for your recent stay.
We are sorry we haven’t been able to meet your expectations, due to our mistake in allocating you the requested room.
I really understand how frustrating that must have been and therefore assure you once more our most sincere apologies.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again, so that you can enjoy the real quality of our services.

Best regards,
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Great business hotel. Very good location in town. Modern and nice rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your nice comments.
We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in a near future.

Best regards,
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

The gym is open 24 hours a day and there is an elevator that brings guests direct to the spa discretely, which is a good thing. Treadmills however need an update. I could not place a bottle of water on the treadmill because there was only a hole, no support underneath to hold the bottle. I could not see my heart rate either, because the bars were oxydated and simply didn't work. The bedroom was very good, no noise from the outside, very clean and comfortable beds, specially the pillows not smelly at all. The bathroom was also good. Breakfast buffet was excellent, both on food quality and variety. The service in general was fabulous. If I happen to come back to Oporto again, I will definitely sleep in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your last stay at the Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa.
Looking forward to welcoming you again in a not too distant future!

Yours sincerely,
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

What a wonderful hotel. On a whim I decided to visit Porto and Lisbon for a last minute vacation; which was fabulous and can highly recommend both locations and both Sheraton hotels. Property was of a high standard. Staff in the Club Lounge were very nice and helpful; although house keeping was a little spotty (they kept forgetting to replenish the daily bottled water supply). More detailed review as follows:

Location - The hotel itself is in a safe suburb of Porto and four metro stops/10 minutes max from the centre of town. It’s not in the downtown area and some people might wish to be closer and in the heart of things; personally the only night were I felt I had missed out was during the St John festival were it would have been easier to watch the fireworks and avoid the busy metro. If you turn left out of the hotel this will bring you onto a main avenue, which is serviced by the red Hop on, Hop off tour bus route.

Transportation - If you are coming from the airport take the metro to Francos (2.30 euros). Once you get off the train continue walking a few yards in the direction of the train and walk up the adjoining cobbled street. You will come to a main road, cross it and continue walking 10 minutes on that cobbled street. The Sheraton will be on the right. I was grateful to the restaurant owner at the Francos stop who guided me otherwise I’m not sure I would have made it; the hotel website isn’t too clear with directions from the station!

Property – it is clear from having recently stayed in 3 Sheraton spa hotels in Europe that the Sheraton is updating its brand. As with the W Hotel brand, it has gone for dark woods in the bedrooms and main bar areas; the key difference being it is much brighter and you don’t need a torch to find your way around (as with the W hotels). The bathroom had a deep bath, and separate areas for the toilet and shower; all surrounded by green frosted glass. The tv/music system is piped in to the bathroom. The only thing missing was a kettle/coffee maker but that might have been available in the clubrooms.

Gym & Spa – the gym facilities had the usual range of cardio and weight machines but also had foam rollers and stretching mats.

Club Lounge – as a platinum member I get free access to the Club Lounge which provides breakfast, evening happy hour and generally a place to relax over a beer/coffee/glass of wine. The staff were very nice and helpful, particularly the intern who is studying hotel management and was working the night of St John (and whose name escapes me). The food was replenished on a regular basis and staff was responsive to requests for additional supplies. The only observation that I would make is that the club lounge would benefit from an electronic card entry system, that would save staff having to ask for room numbers and then avoid any embarrassing encounters for those not staying in the club rooms but still have access via platinum membership.

Wifi – rather exorbitant at 19 euros per day but as a platinum member I got my mine for free.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fabulous comments about our property, services and associates.
We are glad that you have enjoyed our Club Lounge and the experience Sheraton has created for most demanding guests.
Be sure that our staff strives all efforts to ensure that all our guests may enjoy an unforgettable experience at our hotel.
We do look forward to welcoming you in a not too distant future.

With my very best regards,