“Terrific”

Ranked #7 of 1,657 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: European, Portuguese, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: On the first floor of a historical site in Porto's downtown, recently opened a small quiet restaurant, called Camafeu. Go back to the times where you had a meal at your grandparent's place, where the decor was romantic but eclectic and where you can indulge yourself on mouth-watering but not-pretentious food.At dinner time, you are invited to stay for a late drink and enjoy, through the big windows, the scenery of the square bellow (Praca Carlos Alberto, named after our late King). We invite you to try the tender Sirloin steak or the Duck with figg jam, or the Prawn porridge among other fabulous appetizers and main-courses. Everybody will love our home-made desserts. Don't forget to ask for the famous Portuguese wine from the Douro region, either it's Port, White or Red.
Brooklyn, New York
“Terrific”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We went two nights in a row. The service is great, the food is delicious, and the room is charming. This isn't a modern "we're trying to be hipper than you" place. This is someone's charming little baby. We settled on going to this place when we read a TA review that said it was like eating in a good friends dining room. This is accurate. The food is all fresh and true. This isn't the place to "be seen" this is the place to have a romantic intimate dinner with someone you love or good friends you want to really focus on and catch up with.

I painfully watched a young couple carefully not consuming the bread, butter, and olives provided, and I wanted to tell them I would pay for it (In Portugal you are charged for the bread ("couvert")), because it was so good. Warm rolls with herb and pesto butter? eat it! it was a great start to the meal.

The service is exceptional—the timing, the courtesy—it really stood out not just during our trip, but overall when considering all of the restaurants we've been to.

The first night i had the cod dish. It's a traditional Portuguese offering, but they made it a little more modern and exciting—spinach, cornmeal, and cod in a tidy little cylinder of olive oil laced perfection ( i think someone has a photo on TA). The second night i had the salmon...buttery loveliness–perfectly cooked fish, every single bite was a dream. the pear, arugula salad is a great start (especially since many restaurants in Portugal didn't really put any energy into their salad options).

Like I said, we went two nights in a row, and that might be the best thing I can say about it.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Majel P
anitasimoes, Owner at Camafeu, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Majel,

Your great review really expresses what Camafeu IS without TRYING to be. We do not want to be known for something else other than our hospitality and care on cooking and serving, because Camafeu is (as you accurately described), our "charming baby" and we think it shows. We hope that you don't forget to come back any other time, as we surely won't forget you and this amazing review. Our best and kind regards.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ruggell, Liechtenstein
“Overrated”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Based on tripadvisor reviews we went to this stylish and very atmospheric restaurant with high expectations. Starters, gazpacho and scallops with some salad, were very satisfying. My girlfriends meal, duck with some asparagus, was pretty good as well according to her.

My choice was actually quite disappointing: The veal filet was tender but bland, kind of tasteless. The puff pastry surrounding the meat was very bad, because the dough on the bottom wasn't cooked thoroughly, almost raw.

Yet, my girlfriend was very pleased with the dessert - got to say that!

I think I took a bad call with my meal and in general they do a good job, but not more than "good". Specially for this price range I wouldn't recommend this restaurant, because something like this should not happen.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank tobi_hill
anitasimoes, Owner at Camafeu, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
We thank you for your sincere and honest review. We are always trying to improve each day, taking into account our customers reviews, but we know that we cannot please every one in the same way. Either way, everything we do is with care and passion, and I hope you've noticed. Our best and kind regards and hope to welcome you here again someday.
Matosinhos, Portugal
“Extraordinary place!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Great food, great service, lovely place... You'll feel like home...;-)
One of the most special places in Oporto. And I live here...;-)

• Visited June 2013
anitasimoes, Owner at Camafeu, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Eliana,

Thank you so much for your review. It's very important for us to know what our customers think.
Hope to see you again soon!
Ripley, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Lovely meal, service food was superb and location overlooking a pretty square. Local menu and our last meal in Porto but one to remember, go and enjoy !!

Visited July 2013
anitasimoes, Proprietário at Camafeu, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your great review! It’s very important to us to get the feedback from our dearest customers. We hope we can welcome you at Camafeu again soon!
Groningen, The Netherlands
“Absolutely perfect place”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We (my husband and I) stayed in Porto for 5 days, 3 evenings we dedicated to having dinners at Camafeu. First time we could not manage to have desserts, but the next times we especially prepared ourselves for full meals! And they were absolutely delicious! My husband became obsessed with scallops with pear purée, and I enjoyed salmon tartar with garlic bread as an appetizer. I tried the duck breast with fig sort of jam- sooo tasty! But my personal favorite was grilled octopus with grilled tomatoes (had it 2 out of 3 times). As for desserts, carrot cake is smth mind blowing, not to sweet, perfect structure. I would easily sell my home country for this food:))

The atmosphere is so romantic, but at the same time casual. Great interior with lots of antique details which only add some history to this place. No ads outside, no menus on the street to attract attention, no rush in service as it usually happens at cheesy tourist restaurants... Everything is made for the guest (you are not a client there) to enjoy his/her time. Girls are not just waitresses, they really care for what they do and how they do. They are not annoying with lame jokes, but they are very easy going and eager to support the conversation and answer all your questions.

It is the first time I am really inspired by the place so much that I write a review.

To sum it up Camafeu is an amazing cosy restaurant with delicious and one of a kind food, friendly environment accompanied by perfect service and attitude. Strongly recommend to visit.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Анна З
anitasimoes, Owner at Camafeu, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
It has been wonderful welcoming customers like you and we thank you from all our heart your amazing review. It really felt like you were friends coming over to dinner. We hope that we can welcome you again someday, because customers like you are the reason why Camafeu exists. Our best and kind regards.