“PERFECT.”

Ranked #4 of 232 Specialty Lodging in Porto
Madrid, Madrid, Spain
“PERFECT.”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This hostel is amazing. I usually don't rate hotels or hostels but I have to this time. The room is very clean. What makes this place absolutely amazing is the staffs. They welcomed me and my friends. They were very helpful. A staff recommended a Portuguese restaurant and the food was delicious and it was somethinig that I've never tried before! You can get towels when you put down five euro deposit. At 11:30 you can have a free shot with all other travelers. It's really easy to get around with others if you go on a pub crawl which is after the free shot time. My friends and I had a great time here and I am sure I will go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D I love you YES PORTO

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Efland, North Carolina
Reviewed March 12, 2012

This is by far the nicest hostel I have ever stayed in. The people who worked there were awesome and very helpful; heck, they even took the time to learn everyones name and when they saw you would call you by your name and say hello. The cleanliness is a huge selling point as well. This place was spotless and loads of fun. Dinner is served at a reasonable price every night and they give shots to everyone at 11:30. The location is great its about a block away from Porto's nightlife! I highly recommend this establishment so stay here and help grow the YES! hostel chain!

Room Tip: book with a large group so you can get the suite on the top floor
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I rate the hostels I stay in based primarily on the staff. The facilities are always considered, but the staff make or break it. Yes hostel has both. A good looking crew with smiles and good conversation. The lounge is bright and bubbly. The kitchen is more than sufficient for you chefs out there. Go there and have a great stay in Porto!

• Stayed February 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I loved this place!!! Recently renovated, it's clean, modern, chic, lively, joyous, and really nice on the inside, convenient and affordable. It has a big kitchen for your own use, nice tv area at the reception level, the rooms are nice, organized and not over-populated, cute modern bathrooms, beautiful murals and art all over the building! And of course, the receptionists were the best: both Rita and Diogo were really nice and helpful!!! I definetely recommend this place!!! Plus, it's conveniently located to Metro (Bento), Dos Clerigos, train station, bars, restaurants, cafes... it has it all! Free internet, rent of towels are a plus for me!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
New Forest, UK
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Very comfortable beds, with personal reading lights and power points.

Friendly staff. Quick check in.

Easy to walk past at first because of a non obvious small sign in the door only.

So make sure you have a map (the street doesnt show in my 2010 Rough Guide Map) and the exact address. (It is the first?- doorway on the street and next to a shop window selling shoes).

Brilliant showers.

So it does the basics well.

My criticisms/points or improvement are this.

The kitchen layout is very poorly executed. The oven is crunched up in one corner and there is only really room for one person to be "operating" in the kitchen. To put the small kettle on, one has to move whomever is working at the oven right away. For a brand new hostel this is a staggering design failure.

Coupled with this fact that:- when the hostel puts on a dinner for people (every night I think if enough people sign up and pay 8 euros for it), it takes over the kitchen.

When I went into the kitchen to think about cooking.......the table space was all taken up with plates laid out for the dinner list. I couldn't get to the oven/sink. I went out to eat instead. 2 nights running it gets a bit frustrating.

This is an administration/running oversight (or they just didn't think).

So if you intend to do your own cooking, perhaps this is not the best hostel to stay in.

The front room furniture seems to be just the wrong height to get comfortable on. Maybe someone should have done a "sitting down " test on it , rather than buying it for the "modern" colours.

Summary :-

Good points:-
Good staff
Very good rooms/beds/lockers
Clean
Free internet/computer access

Bad points:-
Kitchen design/layout, communal area too small.
Computers in narrow corridor between kitchen and reception. It has obviously been designed to pack in more *very good* rooms, but at expense of communal/kitchen areas.
The result was whenever I was trying to get online or use the kitchen....I felt I was being moved on. Not really the feel I wanted to feel where I stay.

It is just an oversight, but someone should have been thinking about this at the design.

Top tips:-
Dont go more than 10 metres down the street from the top end, otherwise you have gone too far.
If you want to do your own cooking, go to a hostel with a bigger kitchen.

Would I go again? Maybe...but I want hostels with better laid out kitchens and communal areas. I felt the communal areas and kitchen was too small, so I then ended up in my room. So I would try other hostels first.

A kitchen area and communal area redesign would mean I would be back everytime because the rooms were fantastic, the beds comfortable and I got some great sleep.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo