“Great place to stay”

Pestana Vintage Porto
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The location was very good. Easy walk to the main street. Porto has a lot of hills to walk so we chose the hop on hop off bus and the stop was only a couple of blocks from the hotel.
The hotel is in a restricted driving area so cabs can come up to the entrance.
We did not walk from the bus station with our luggage and based on our walks after we arrived I am glad we didn't. The hills are serious and the cobblestone streets would have been difficult to drag luggage down.
The staff were excellent. From the bellman taking our luggage to the front desk for check in and advice/answering questions the staff were all excellent. In particular Claudia in the bar was great. Every request I had she helped out from getting seats outside to making sure our drinks (including coffee and tea) we exactly the way we wanted.
The room was clean and spacious.
We had room 205 which is right beside the elevator. It was not as noisy as some rooms I have had by the elevator but I always try and avoid these rooms. The hotel was full so we didn't have a choice.
The hotel is on the waterfront with a square out front so it is a "happening" place. Which is good or bad. Overall the windows are quite soundproof.
We had breakfast included and it was excellent. A wide variety of the usual continental stuff plus eggs, bacon and sausage. Also had champagne for the orange juice.
The wifi was free but a little strange because you are given 30 minute free coupons. So after 30 minutes you had to login again with a new code. I was told they are looking to change this.

Room Tip: Room 205 is beside the elevators if you want to and it. We did not have a river view but if you can...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,293)

Reviewed October 4, 2012

In 2010 on our first visit to Porto we stayed at the Pestana. We had a wonderful stay with a river view room at the front of the building. The hotel is beautifully situated. So on our return to Porto last month I again booked the Pestana without hesitation. I booked months in advance and asked for a river view room naturally expecting that we would have a similar room to that we had on our last stay
Unfortunately our stay this time was not as memorable.
On this occasion we had a car. I was aware that I was not able to park my car outside the hotel except within certain hours. The hotel clearly told me the hours. Nevertheless we chose to arrive at a time when I could not get access to the road to the hotel. On arrival my wife left the car to go to the front desk to see if any assistance could be given to carrying 2 suitcases the 100 meters down the road whilst I parked the car. No such luck. That wasn't the bellhop's job. So off to the car park. I wasn't told that there was no lift in the car park so had to lug two heavy cases up three flights of stairs and then walk about 400 meters to the hotel. So be it but hotels pretending to be 4 star should do better. Already in less than a positive mood we were beaten to the check in by a tour group of about 20 women. Why aren't there separate arrangements for group book ins ?
On actually getting to the front of the queue I sought assurance that we had a river view room. Yes was the answer. Off to the room. By this time I was used to carrying our bags so refused an offer of assistance from staff.
I knew as soon as we turned the wrong way out of the lift that we didn't have the room requested. Yes there was a river view if you looked sideways and backwards. The view was onto the rear lane. One of the still great attributes of some of the rooms in this hotel is the view of the Douro. By this time my mood was not as I had hoped. The front desk moved us to another room which did not have a king bed which I had asked for but was at least at the front of the hotel fronting the river. Two King singles however had to do. Whilst we were moved it was done with some apparent resentment. To be fair that may have been a reaction to my mood ! I had recently joined as a Pestana Priority member. Whilst I waited for the front desk to rectify matters I pondered a brochure proclaiming the benefits of being a Priority member. I was not sure what they were. It certainly wasn't service which across the board was not great.
The breakfast was passable but not great. The room and the hotel generally is looking a bit tired and needs a refurbish. Up the road by 100 meters is a brand new hotel The Claris which is in a refurbished old building. We didn't go in but it looked quite smart. A check on their website shows that the room cost was markedly less than the Pestana. And I wondered whether it might not give a better experience.
On another note the Pestana group at least in the hotels I have stayed in have a ridiculous Wi-Fi policy which allows a half hour free in one block and applies a charge to more continuous access. This is ridiculous in 2012. So many highly regarded hotels simply offer free access. And so should the Pestana.
So would we go back. It is hard to go past the Pestana's position and if you get it the river view. But on our next visit I will look hard for an alternative.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view fronting the river
2  Thank Rob M
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Our second stay in this excellent hotel located on the bank of the Douro with lovely views up and down the river. Access to all the major tourist sites can be done mostly on foot and the riverside hosts many good restaurants.
Excellent service and a very good breakfast. Will return again

Room Tip: Choose a river view room
1  Thank PedrinhoLondon
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed three nights at this hotel and I was quite disappointed. While the location is very central and nice on the river the hotel is dated and the room we had smelt damp and was dark. Checking in was also a drama with no way to drop our bags off due to the road being open only certain times in the day. We had to park in a public park and then drag our luggage through cobbled streets and up and down stairs to get to the hotel - not easy and not fun.

The breakfast was OK but not great. There were no English papers available any day we were there. The best thing about this hotel was being able to use the pool (and sauna) at the Pousada (their sister hotel) which was beautiful. The staff were nice, but in retrospect I think staying at the Pousada would have suited us better.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Nice20a
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I'll be honest and say I didn't stay here. I actually stayed at another hotel based on a friend's advice when I took my family on a 3-day trip to Porto and the surrounding area. But, the reason I am recommending this place is that I found myself near this hotel more than my own as this hotel is near everything you want to visit in Porto. This is just a few feet away from all the Port tasting, restaurants, events, etc. From my hotel I ended up taking taxis back and forth to here and taxis aren't cheap here. Save yourself the hassle of several taxi rides and book your next hotel here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Really nice hotel. Very nicely modernised renovation of an old port-side building. Right in the middle of the old Porto on the Douro with access to everything Porto has to offer the visitor. Spent two nights in early September. Rooms very comfortable and clean. Breakfast all you could ask for. Also a few tables on the outside terrace on the river makes for a delightful breakfast experience. On our second night there was a concert/party in the square outside the hotel with some kind of Brazilian theme. Very noisy and cheerful. We were a bit nervous that it might be very noisy till the small hours, but no, they stopped at around 10.30, presumably because the hotel and local residents insisted on a peaceful night!
Best of all was the very helpful and friendly staff. Lots of touristy questions and taxi requests from our party. All dealt with perfectly with smiles and patience. Would definitely stay again if back in Porto

Room Tip: River view rooms desirable
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The Pestana Porto Hotel is sited on the corner of the Ribeira square and overlooks the Douro river. The rooms are comfortable, clean and serviced daily. The staff are lovely - they greet you with a smile, are keen to help you, and actually look like they are enjoying their jobs. The road leading down to the hotel has electric bollards to prevent access to non-authorised vehicles, which means private transfare from the airport can be an issue. Taxis are allowed through though. There are no coffee/tea facilities in the room, the minibar is poorly stocked (as seems to be the case in most hotels these days) and the items are expensive (nothing new there either!)
Breakfast is buffett style and is good. Besides meats, cheese, cakes, bread etc they also have scrambled egg, bacon and either mushroom or small pork sausages. The toaster is a pain, takes ages and is switched off when not in use.
As a tea drinker I dont like Liptons yellow label - its too weak and we had to ask for two teabags for the pot!
Having said that I really enjoyed my stay!
They don't have a pool nor a fitness centre - but that didnt bother me!

Porto is a great city with lots of things to see and do - river cruise, cable car, furnicular, old trams and some good restaurants - one in particular was great and is located a few minutes walk away - ODE!!! Highly recommended but not chceap!

Room Tip: Rooms 400, 401 and 402 have a balcony overlooking the square and the river. 402 has square and bette...
3  Thank BrianofLondon