“Great location and charmingly historical”

Grande Hotel Do Porto
Ranked #34 of 108 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We really enjoyed staying is this hotel. The location in the shopping street was perfect, lively but more quite than the river side. That it is very close to Café Majestic is also on the plus side. Best of all was, though, the historic atmosphere in the hotel. The service was also really good. Breakfast could have been better especially since it was a Little too crowded in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Our room faced the street and this worked well.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Christina H

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Booked a standard room as confirmed on my voucher. On arrival I asked if I could have a high floor room was told the hotel was full and was given a basement room which was so obviously a budget room under the restaurant. At check in I asked if I was being given a standard or budget room I was told quite firmly "we do not have budget rooms" Please see the hotel website budget rooms are quite clearly advertised by the hotel. The room was awful on entry there was a smell of damp. The next day I asked if I could have an air freshener as the smell was terrible amazingly I was told pack your bags and we will change you to another room. The second room was so different and was obviously a standard room. It was nice to be given the room I had paid for but obviously half a day was wasted packing bags to change rooms. I do not like being lied to.
Had I been given the room I paid for at the start of the trip I would have given the hotel a far higher rating but I felt as if I had been treated as an idiot and lied to which really did spoil my stay at this hotel

Room Tip: If you have paid for a standard room make sure you get a standard room not a budget room
Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank allsortsoftrips
Reviewed August 4, 2014

An historic hotel right in the middle of Oporto. It really is a perfect location from which to do anything. The hotel itself has charmingly decadent public rooms where you can meet and relax. The atmosphere is friendly and there is a gentle buzz about the place. The rooms i have to say are a touch basic but they are clean and the bathrooms are large and tiled and by contrast rather good. The food was tasty and the evening service efficient. Breakfast was plentiful and overall the service was good although i did notice that on the head waiter's day off the replenishment was slow and people were beginning to get a touch irritated.
Having said all that as a balance on price, location and value it is hard to beat. The staff were friendly and the other guest were civilised.
i would use again

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Beautiful, old, historical hotel..... Great location, close to everything we wanted to see ...Breakfast was great ...The hotel was in the middle of the center of the town...helpful staff.... Wonderful old bar.. great lobby...

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2014

The hotel is very conveniently located in the heart of the old town's shopping and business district, at walking distance (or short taxi ride) from major dowtown attractions.The main entrance (a tiny door between two shops), on a very busy pedestrian street does not reflect what you will find inside: a very fine decor, smartly recreating all the comfort and luxury environment offered at a typical19th century top-end hotels. The decor is fabulous, along a succession of small rest and leisure rooms, divided by a corridor, from the lobby to the oppoosite-end dining room. The hotel stretches over an entire block and is 5 floors high, including a small garage on the back entrance (elevators provided).

My experience was limited to one of the few suites available, which provided a very generous accomodation (4 semi-independent areas + a full WC) for a very moderate rate, inclusive of breakfast and WI-FI internet.

Breakfast (fully self-service) consists on a fairly good variety of fresh items and the dining room is a splendorous place.... The staff is friendly and helpful. In spite of the pedestrian nature of the street taxis are allowed to drop and pick-up.

The GHP is thus a serious option to consider if you look for good value for your money while also enjoying a fancy accomodation.

Room Tip: Ask to be booked in the Manoel de Oliveira suite (1st floor, facing the street but sound proof...)
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2014

When my taxi pulled up to the hotel in the center of a pedestrian area, I knew I would enjoy my stay. Grand Hotel de Porto is located in the heart of Rua de Santa Catarina in the city, which puts it off the main tourist attractions (not by much) but in the center of a street lined with cafés and shops.

I was greeted by a wonderfully charismatic desk receptionist who helped me take my bags up to my room and wanted to know my opinions about the upcoming Portugal and United States futbol match. I agreed to root for Portugal and he agreed to root for the U.S., and although I think we reneged on our contract, the game was a tie anyway.

Late night lounge life is alive and well in this opulently decorated hotel - it vaguely reminded me of the Overlook Hotel in Colorado. But instead of meeting ghosts, I met French couples off for a weekend getaway, British newlyweds, and even a set of German twins. Anyone trying to simplify their nightlife in Porto will find similar experiences during their stay. Don't be shy!

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the grand experience of breakfast, where an expansive dining room is staffed by attentive workers while the background music might be classics by Vivaldi, a Beatles mix, or even show tunes. Pretty good eggs too.

Porto is a charming city with a bustling day and night life, and staying at Grande Hotel de Porto certainly added to my visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank TremontTraveler14
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for three nights and found the positives to be the quality of the breakfast, the general cleanliness, the public areas with beautiful decor and the friendly staff.
With that said, we also had a number of issues with the hotel. Firstly, we were placed in room 120, which was so far away that there was zero wifi connection. Additionally the room was extremely small and old; and many things were not working properly. The bed was nice, but that was about it. We complained the next day and were moved to a never room on the lower level. This room was MUCH nicer than the first; everything was new and working and the room was a lot larger. You should definitely go for one of the renovated rooms!
A few other smaller issues were the noise levels in both rooms and that the breakfast waiters would start scrambling and cleaning (even vacuum cleaning!) while people were still having breakfast!
Overall the hotel has good value for money if you get a renovated room, but it is an average 3-star experience and not more.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends