“Best meal in Porto!”
Review of Antunes

Antunes
Reserve with
Antunes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #142 of 1,877 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Definitely the best meal we had in Porto. We had the house speciality (Roast pork) and it was amazing - very tender and juicy and plenty for two people to share. Also had great vinho verde wines and all for an extremely reasonable price. The place seemed to be popular with locals (always a good sign) and the service was very helpful. Definitely worth seeking out.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

This place is small, crazy busy, and you may well feel like the only tourists here. When we arrived, a very efficient older man seated us and immediately told us what we wanted to eat: the roast pork leg. And guess what? We DID! It is cooked in a wood oven, and served in the clay baking dish. It looks like enough to feed four, but it is so delicious that really only 2 should tackle it.

The same waiter kept coming over and asking how things were, despite how busy it was. He also recommended a carafe of local rose vinho verde, which was great. I had a skewer of porco preto, and it was delicious as well. The local specialty dessert, rabanadas, were also really tasty-- light and fluffy and eggy, like a cross between french toast and fried dough.

The neighborhood is a bit off the beaten track, but worth every extra step. I will definitely eat here whenever I go to Porto.

1  Thank Jenopolis
Reviewed June 15, 2012

If you are looking for something that links you with a commom "Portuense": a lot of food, familiar taste, the price is the last thing. Then, you must try i the lunch, to see the full house movement.
Anything is good. Sorry but I can't show you the taste...
When you visit a restaurant for several times, and the quality pattern is allways the same you get an excelent option.
note: the quality of the cooking rice, its for me the best way to judge the "kitchen"... the Antune's rice is fantastic...

Reviewed June 13, 2012

We wanted to try a more authentic restaurant slightly off the tourist routes, so we found our way to Antunes. We got a warm welcome from friendly waiters. The restaurant interior is basic and informal, bright lighting, canteen style furniture and a large TV on the wall showing..yes, you guessed it, soccer! (well it was the start of Euro 2012). We ordered the house special, roast pork on a bed of roast potatoes for two. When it came we wondered if we would make any impression on it..! It was in a huge earthenware tray with a dagger stuck in the top! Actually it was a carving knife and the waiter deftly carved the meat off a large bone..we think it was really a large ham hock. But it was excellent, moist, tasty, tender. Pretty much everyone else in the place seemed like locals, and they all seemed to be ordered the same! The waiter recommended a bottle of excellent local red wine, not expensive and we had a dessert (deep fried dough dipped in sugar and cinnamon with syrup poured over) for which I will be spending 6 extra hours in the gym! Anyway it was a fun experience to get away from stuffy hotel restaurants and get a meat & potatoes blow-out! (Now back to the diet)

Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

Went to lunch and found this restaurant without a problem using a map - although it is not located in the center of town.

Had heard all about the leg of ham (pernil) and decided I need to have a break from all the fish and try it.

When I got there around 12:30 it was quite but soon the restaurant began to fill up.

I ordered the pernil and although the waiter said it was for two- I didnt care as it was only 15 euro. I also ordered some vinhno verde. When the food came I really was not expecting the huge portion. I had to take half of it home.

The ham was tender with crispy skin and the potatoes cooked in the juices of the meat were some of the best I have ever had.

The couple sitting next to me was French and the waiter had no problem talking to them.. They ordered a tripe dish which they seemed very happy with.

Overall, excellent experience!