“This is luxury”

Ranked #20 of 104 Hotels in Porto
UK
“This is luxury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

This 5* hotel oozes luxury all the way, not to mention you can enjoy a very fine glass of port at check-in. I can't fault it. In summer (I've been there many times over the years) there is a roof top terrace bar which offers a fantastic view over the city and a superb location to relax and enjoy an evening drink.

The only draw back is it's location. If you are visiting Porto as a tourist it is a good hour long walk or a €6 to €7 taxi ride into town. There always the bus too. A small price to pay for absolute luxury. There is also a small supermarket right next door if you want to pick up wine, port, food or other essentials!!

Benfica football team was staying there while I was there, which must say something for the place.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank boeingpete
PPHOTEL, General Manager at Porto Palacio Congress Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor regarding your experience at Porto Palacio Congress Hotel & SPA.

It is very rewarding to know that you’ve enjoyed your stay.

As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the quality of service is our most important goal.

We would appreciate if you could send us your contacts so we may keep you updated regarding your services.

We hope it will not be long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you once again at our Hotel, and remain at your entire disposal.

The Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2011

A beautiful hotel on the main avenue, and with a fantastic service. The rooms are big and with a breathtaking view over the city.
The hotel has an indoor pool for adults and children in the basement

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank rpbf
PPHOTEL, General Manager at Porto Palacio Congress Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2011
Dear Guest,

It is very rewarding to know that you’ve enjoyed your stay and especially our service.

Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2010

I stayed here for two nights while attending a conference down by the river. For me, the location was okay, I needed a taxi every time I went to the conference or returned, but it was only 5-15 minutes a travel, so not a big problem.

The hotel is excellent. It's pretty modern, but still retains a certain European / Portuguese flavor that US chain hotels fail to obtain in foreign cities. I was in a deluxe room on a high floor so the view was wonderful. The room was well appointed, but no outlets for US cords and they did not hold my converter well and kept slipping out. The bathroom was nice with a separate toilet room, tv in the shower, and a shaving kit.
The breakfast was passable, mostly bread and cereals, no fruit or hot food. Since I only drink coffee in the AM it worked for me. The bar was great, with live jazz, stunning views of the city, and fun people.

The real value of this hotel is the staff. I arrived from the airport at 0830 and they had a room ready, so I could shower and get to the conference by 0900. Also, Marina, the concierge, was nothing short of charming and efficient. She helped me changed some flights and recommende Al Baixa Forno for lunch and it did not fail to impress.

The spa is very nice, if you can get access, with many interesting little pools and saunas, although they could be hotter.

Overall, a great hotel, however I consider the Park Hyatt Tokyo to set the standard for 5-star and I would rate this is as a very nice 4-star.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DJ

It is very rewarding to know that you’ve enjoyed your stay.

We have taken notice of your remarks regarding our VIP Lounge breakfast and the SPA swimming pool temperature.
Thank you for expressing these recommendations, that will certainly help to drive our best efforts towards the satisfaction of your expectations.

Woodbury, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2010

I traveled with a friend to Porto and another friend reserved a room for us. It turned out to be a wonderful experience. The hotel was clean, comfortable, great service, great view. The Concierge, a lovely lady by the name of Mariana, was very helpful getting us tours, tickets, train tickets, etc. We had dinner at both hotel restaurants, Gosho (Japanese) and Salsa & Loureiro (Portugese). The latter was the second best meal we had in Portugal. Amazing food, service, etc. There was no comparison between this hotel and the one in Lisbon which lists itself as a 5 star. This one is a 5 star. Hope to return soon

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

South Shields
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

We (My husband & myself) had an excellent welcome, very good room on the 12th floor with a view of the city & the beach. The room & bathroom were clean, could be partitioned, was impressed by the top & hand shower. The elevator panel was great, you had the date, time, weather etc. The hotel is situated on top of the hill but one is at the Duoro banks within 15-20 mins by bus (2 buses), bus stop very near the hotel, yellow bus ticket for sightseeing is great, cheaper to buy for 2 days, one can get it in the hotel at the reception. the staff are very friendly, with queries, service, taxis, restaurant booking etc.
During our stay I had a great surprise for my birthday from the management, a beautifully set trolley with serviettes, cutlery, wonderful cake, candle & a rose in a vase arrived to our room. We had the cake as desert after having a dinner at the restaurant "Salsa & Loureiro Comidas" in the hotel, it was raining so we dined in the hotel & were not disappointed, later had coffee on the 19th floor in The VIP lounge, with a beautiful view (after 22.30 all guests are allowed)

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

It is very rewarding to know that you’ve enjoyed your stay and the birthday surprise we prepared exclusively for you.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

The hotel is situated on a long Avenue which is a bus or cab ride away from town but the sightseeing bus stopped just over the road which was very handy! This hotel is perfect for the business traveller, it is elegant, clean and smart. They welcome you with a glass of port as you arrive, and couldn't do enough to help you. I loved the panoramic bar upstairs with comfy sofas, hanging chairs, and outside terrace and tables for dinner if you wished to eat up there. Talking of food, do eat in the Italian Restaurant on the -1 floor, it was absolutely fantastic! Overall and especially as I was travelling alone the staff made me feel very welcome, a fact which was commented on by colleagues who joined me for an after dinner drink in the panoramic bar one evening. They too were impressed and they were staying at the Sheraton over the road. The hotel also let me have late check out and I only asked the morning I was leaving! If ever in Porto I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

I am very pleased about my stay at Porto Palacio. I travel a lot and I must say it is not that usual to find a place where I have absolutely nothing to complain about. It was all perfect. I stayed there for 3 nights, went to the Spa, (stunning), got a 90 minutes massage and felt in Heaven. People there are so nice, the entire staff is polite, professional, elegant and very helpful. The breakfast is amazing. The location very practical. I would recommend that hotel to anyone who's planning a trip to Porto.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo