“Plastic bottle caps”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 14, 2019 via mobile

We had lunch here, with two families, of all ages. It was a rainy day, so we thought we could warm up in here. It felt like there was no heating on, but apparently that's common in Porto? We were prepared for that.
We ordered the vegetable soup, tuna quiche, cod, the "francessina" and the meat wrap. The soup, tuna quiche and cod were okay, but my brother's "francessina" and my boyfriend's wrap...not so much! My brother's "francessina" looked like something you'd see in a children's plastic playing kitchen and it bathed in sauce (apparently also common for this typical Portuguese dish). Tastewise it was "..okay".
But the thing that led me to write this was the plastic bottle cap we found in the meat wrap. How on earth do you not see a BLUE plastic bottle cap ending up between meat, cheese and vegetables (none of which are blue)?!

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed March 6, 2019 via mobile

Well, the first think is about the food that is really good, the bar is well located and the price/quality is ok. But I think is the worst service that I’ve never had... we were ALMOST alone and to get served was like a victory the waiters come along you and they didn’t look at you... amazing. I don’t recommend you this bar if you like to feel good in a restaurant, avoid this one.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed November 21, 2018 via mobile

Here you get one of the best francesinhas, this typical toast sandwich with beef, ham and sausages, beer-sauce, fries and, if you want, with an egg on top. Order a Superbock, beer brand from Porto, and you are in heaven. Best to sit outside, although inside they have a lot of space too

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed November 6, 2018

The reason I was drawn to this restaurant was the art deco facade adorning this property.
It had the general nonchalant service that I had strangely become accustomed to whilst travelling in Europe, being a non-Portuguese (French or Spanish) speaker.

I was told to eat a Francesinha whilst I was in Porto and only have 2 nights there (with 1 full day at the Douro Valley) I was completely overwhelmed walking the streets of Porto trying to find one, so as this place caught my attention whilst I was on the Hop On Hop Off bus and was close to my hotel I decided to try it there.

It was delicious!!!!!! And the beer was large, cold and cheap too. It seemed to be a popular choice for people to go and eat at and I actually ended up enjoyed the some-what aloof service I received....I actually went back the following night!!

Look its not going to be to everyones taste, the menu seemed somewhat limited, but then you can't cater to everyone's whims, thats the beauty of being in a bustling city - you can go to another restaurant if its not your thing. But if you're wanting a delicious and traditional meal - the famous Francesinha - and you can't be bothered scoring the internet for "the top 5 best places" and figuring out where they are, then I would just say pop to the Cafe Aviz..... I'll be going back if I ever go to Porto.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

Horrible, awful, unpleasant... The worst dinner i’ve Ever had in my life. Really bad experience, grrr

Date of visit: August 2018