“Nearly spectacular”

Ranked #2 of 221 Specialty Lodging in Porto
New York City, New York
“Nearly spectacular”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Our guide at Gallery Hostel (I apologize that I have forgotten his name) took great pride in showing us all the different parts of the hostel, all the amenities, and we were justly impressed. We only stayed in Porto for one night (most of our trip to Portugal was spent in Lisbon), but we wish we could've stayed longer just to avail ourselves of the many wonders of this hostel!

And most importantly, our room was very nice - spacious, comfortable, well-appointed. A couple things struck me as not working exactly as envisioned - for example, the bathroom lights work on motion sensors, and if you are in the same place for more than a minute or two, the light goes out and you have to move to activate it again, which can be annoying. Shaving was an adventure. But this was a rare misstep - most everything else worked perfectly.

They also helped us get around Porto - with ordering taxis (and telling the drivers where we were going), and giving us fabulous advice on things to do and see - while we had planned our day out, there was room for some additions, like a visit to the Rota do Cha teahouse just down the street from the hostel. And there is an gallery area tour that leaves from the lobby of the hostel which we did not have a chance to do but would've loved.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Charming_Karl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wageningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 12, 2013

A very beautiful hostel with very good facilities. Most special is the theme, the art and sustainable character. We stayed a total of two nights.
Hospitality was great: we were planning to take the last bus to the airport, but they informed us there are night buses as well and they let us stay, wait and relax in the movie lounge, while we were already checked out.
So, they try everything to satisfy their guests: that also counts for food: good breakfast (free) with lots of choices and the possibility to have a dinner.
Porto itself was a city or us with surprises on every corner and taking one of the tours with the staff, was another beautiful discovery.
My friend was the 85th visiting nationality (first one of her country) of the hostel.
There are so many other good things to tell but if you get a chance to visit Porto this hostel offers you and excellency and character that cannot easily be found, so go for it. I felt privileged I could stay in this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ymke K
Capital of the World
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Gallery Hostels has an excellent location in the arty district of Porto to explore this beautiful city. Decor is funky and tasteful, lots of space, cool little patio/bar area, and clean rooms. Staff is very knowledgeable about the city and always ready to help. Breakfast is included and prepared fresh daily. They organize dinner parties and wine tastings, make sure to join one of those. Free walking tour.

Room Tip: Double rooms are almost hotel rooms, in quiet are in the back
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank worldCTZN
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed at the Gallery hostel in late April. I stayed there three nights by myself in a dorm. When I arrived I was immediately made to feel welcomed. The guy on reception explained the city to me and I was then invited to join in on a delicious dinner. The staff are very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much effort. All the finer details were thought of when they created the rooms. They are simply gorgeous. I joined in on a trip to the Douro Valley which was good fun and well organised. I wish I could have spent longer here as I fell in love with Porto and this hostel. I hope to visit again some time.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Ashlee K
Brewster, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Wonderful, beautiful, so lovely. I hope to go back soon!

I stayed for 2 nights but wish I could have stayed forever. The staff was so wonderful, the location was fantastic, and the other hostel guests were so nice. The hostel helped set me up on a day tour of the Douro river, and I am grateful to them for their help because it was a fantastic day and an incredibly well-done tour.

The best parts of the hostel:
1. The gallery throughout was beautiful, with very comfortable sitting areas
2. Even the bunk beds were quite comfortable, I stayed in the 6-bed female dorm and it was very nice.
3. The breakfast in the morning is WONDERFUL -- scrambled eggs to order and homemade cornbread included.
4. The 10-euro dinners were a fabulous way to meet other hotel guests and were both tasty and a good value
5. The staff was so friendly, they knew my name immediately after checking in
6. The free walking tour was a helpful introduction to the city.

Great hostel, great guests, great staff. Cannot recommend enough.

- Sarah

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank spettengill
Karlsruhe, Germany
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is a great hostel, I have travelled hundreds of hostels already and I can really recommend you this one, it's really one of the best! The neighborhood is a little strange and you wouldn't expect such a quality hostel in there, but it's absolutely great!
That's how Portugal is, the facade is a but run down, but it's all about inner values ;)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Redlefloh
Lyon, France
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is the best hostel I've ever stayed! I picked this hostel since it has very good comments and ranking on Tripadvisor, and I am glad I made the right choice.
Stayed at 6 beds female dorm, the room is so clean and nicely decorated. Alll the hostel staffs are so friendly and speak perfect English.
All the travelers I met in this hostel are happy with the hotel, the common areas (bar, living room, library, dining room) are good places to meet people stayed there.
The 10 Euro dinner was very nice, incluing three courses meal and wine.
I highly recommend this hostel and will stay here again when I return to Porto.

Room Tip: Take the walking tour in the morning, very informative.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo