“Amaizing meal!!”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I eat grilled octupus.
It's very delicious.
I highly recommend Papavinhos.!!!

There are newer reviews for Papavinhos

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had no reservations on a Saturday night but they squeezed us in downstairs (apparently the upstairs dining room has a better view) but we were perfectly happy. The service was enthusiastic if not wholly understandable and the food was quite good although not gourmet by any means. As was frequently the case in Portugal at meal's end I felt mildly embarrassed to have only eaten half of the food, but the portions served are gargantuan. We were staying in Ribeira and walked back. Better food and better value than in the strictly tourist area.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We booked for 9pm on a Saturday night. The place was heaving - every table full except ours - with a generally Portuguese clientèle, which I took to be a good sign.

The dining room was presided over by a single, very fast moving, and surprisingly cheerful (given his workload) waiter.

Despite being very busy, he explained the menu in a mixture of Portuguese & French, checked of wine preferences and disappeared with smoke coming from his shoes.

The food and wine were excellent - prawns cooked with garlic, veal & salt cod were amongst our choices - and it was nice to eat somewhere where the menu was not solid tourist fare. Desserts are on the large side, but very good: a proper home made chocolate mousse (believe me, I can tell) and even with, ahem, a third bottle of wine, three of us escaped for €103.

1  Thank Jon_Doust
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

After reading the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor I suggested to my dad that we visit on our second night in Porto, hoping to find somewhere better value than our first choice. It was indeed better value and the food was overall good - the prawns in garlic were excellent, the octopus ok (don't even think about visiting if you don't like garlic and lots of oil!) and the dessert -don't be greedy like me and try to eat the whole cookies and cream dessert by yourself - was delicious. Wine ok. The menu translation provided much amusement (trunkfish??) and the owner (?) did make sure we did not over order, a mistake we made first night as some dishes in Porto are served for two but they sneakily don't tell you. However on arrival we were ignored for ages whilst he sorted something else out, standing there like lemons in the downstairs bit not knowing if we were going to be seated or not. The atmosphere was ok but the decor could do with some improvement. There was an extremely friendly UK waiter who fell over himself trying to please my dad.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

food quality is solid. the dishes were very simple but tasty. not a lot of different flavours going on. the owner is friendly. food is priced very reasonable. definitely a place to spend a nice evening though not a must when visiting porto.