“Tourist Trap Restaurant - refused to order”
Review of A Marina

A Marina
Ranked #1,383 of 1,657 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Singapore, Singapore
“Tourist Trap Restaurant - refused to order”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Don't Do It!

We sat down at this restaurant because it looked relatively busy. We tend not to eat in quiet restaurants.

Before we had chance to look at the faded grubby menu (a pet hate of mine) we were pounced upon and presented with starters of open muscles, bread and local cheeses.

I was mortified & slightly disturbed by the , you eat you pay , you don't eat you don't pay instruction.

At this point I noticed that our table and all the others had dusty plates turned upside down on the tables. Then moments later another waiter came to take our order , we were still spinning from the unsolicited food that had been thrust upon us and were debating about walking away.

Then I noticed what looked like tinned potatoes on the plate of the table next to us. We were discussing leaving when we were asked again for our order. I asked to have the food we had not ordered taken away, so we could finish our conversation in private. Which they did but were definitely not happy about.

I did not want to eat muscles that could have been in and out of kitchen to table 10 times before someone accepted them. We were asked again to order so we just ordered a beer.

We looked at the menu and the food around us and decided not to eat. The waiter was furious and shouted at us for not eating . The tables they had put us on were for dining not drinking and we would be making the "Chef" angry. But half the tables were empty anyway, we were not stopping potential customers for from dining. We did not respond to the tirade, we remained composed and dignified. We simply asked for the bill.

Our change took an uncomfortably long time to arrive but as a point of principal we were not going to leave without it and they would not get the table back until they did return with our money. Another couple got similar treatment for not allowing the staff to even put food down on the table they had not ordered.

It has been a long time since I have bee treated like walking cash machine. I think we may have had a lucky escape. This was a shocking restaurant reminiscent of a 'faulty towers' farce, it felt like we were back in the days of time share.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank travelmuch_11

• Korean first
Geneva, Switzerland
“Average food and service”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

After a walk through Porto we ended up at the river side and tried one of the many restaurants there. We were a bit afraid to end up in a tourist trap but the prices didn't seem high. The starters they offered were nothing special, canned fish and some local cheese. We only tried the local cheese and they took the rest away.

The food was OK, but no reason to come back to this place again.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank kamukwam
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
“Very bad food”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I've never thought it could be possible to eat so badly in Portugal.
We were passing by Ribeira and we decided to have dinner in A Marina. Very wrong decision. The couvert was awful: very hard and old breads, that we ask to be substituted, some tuna pate (industrialized like airplane food) with no taste of tuna and consistency of jelly and other industrialized pates that we didn't try.

For main course my husband ordered some pataniscas with rice and beans and I ordered the mariscos feijoada. I couldn't eat mine, it was very bad, it tasted like unfresh seafood. We shared the pataniscas that was bad as well, but we both were hungry. The pataniscas were very oily and almost no taste of bacalao.

We both love portuguese couisine and we have already eaten these dishes in other restaurants in Portugal and liked very much. So I recommend everyone to avoid this place. The only pro was the friendly service, although they charged the marisco feijoada even it was almost untouched.

• Visited February 2012