“Charming with Great Views” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homey

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Homey
Ranked #55 of 148 Porto B&B and Inns
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“Charming with Great Views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We spent two nights and had a wonderful time. The views of the Douro and Vila Nova de Gaia were amazing. Very close to restaurants, tours, etc. Joana was an awesome hostess and she prepared a wonderful breakfast each morning! Thank you for a wonderful experience and we will be back!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Filomena Da Sil... W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

June 2012 we (couple) have spent here four nights - I have forgotten to comment it so..... It was lovely and pleasant time. Homey interior had a fresh new look. Rooms are smaller but it is price for the central location and unique historical building. For a reasonable price you get clean and comfortable narrow studios with a great view. Nice restaurants around (Actually right next doors) - helpful stuff they -provided us with good tips what to see and where to refresh. Suits more for shorter visits because of the size – but Homey´s location is what matters the most. (For art addicts –visit distant but great Serralves Museum of Contemporary Art.)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have just come back from a 3 night stay at Homey - it was a lovely guesthouse and I would happily recommend it to others.

The best parts are:
1. The welcoming staff - as I was on my own, it really did make the difference, they were not only helpful but also made a real effort to make sure I was comfortable and enjoying my stay. I and checked in quite late, and they made sure someone was there. The breakfast is very nice, and as everyone is around the same table it's a nice way of meeting other people. The staff there really made it a positive experience for me, especially as a solo traveller so thank you to the Joannas and the team there!

2. The view. I had room #3 with the river view (I think it's worth paying extra for it), I loved opening the shutters in the morning, climbing back into bed to read my Kindle with the river in sight, what a lovely way to wake up on a holiday! As others have commented, there isn't a huge amount of space, I was on my own and flew with hand luggage so not a problem for me personally. I think they've done really well with the space overall, it gives it that homely feel. But don't expect tons of space if that's what you're after.

3. The location is also wonderful, being a stone's throw away from the river (which is the best part of Porto I think) and many restaurants (again, useful to not trek far as a solo female traveller) and being able to pop back so easily when relaxing by the river front. There was one night when there was noisy music (oddly, a Sunday night) but I think you might expect that given the location!

Overall, if you're looking for a cosy guesthouse in a great location with welcoming staff, I recommend it!

Room Tip: Room 3 is a room facing the river, recommend it !
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank londontraveller_a12
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

2 nights there and we loved it. The only minor comment is that we had a double bed room overlooking the water (amazing) but the room had little floor area. I think the other rooms were larger. AMAZING service and breakfast. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

I really want to insist ! I discovered Homey first by Tripadvisor's commentaries and this very stupid one called "don't go there" ! Then, to be sure to find the right place, I waited to be on the spot, in Porto, to visit the place and the room and decide or not to spend the night there. I had a very specific idea : find a GREAT PLACE for my husband's birthday, a room with the view on the Douro. It was very important for me, and for us. Finally, I arrived with my luggage at Homey's. The welcome was perfect, the place so adorable and original that I say YES directly. No surprise : I knew the room was tiny (yes, very tiny !!!) BUT the house IS tiny ! It's a beautiful original house on the border of the Douro... Do you know there's ONLY 3 guesthouses/hotels on the front ? How can you say the room is a ridiculous when you see the place ? If you want a big room, you choose a palace, or something in the center ! Well, let me tell you that our NIGHT was memorable ! We are big travelers, we like original and nice places, Homey is perfect, clean, the bed was BIG and CONFORTABLE, the view magnificent, the breakfast super. The price ? Come on, you have a view on the Douro (a balcony), does'nt it diserve such a price ? THANK YOU Janet, It's a BEAUTIFUL SOUVENIR for us, I think it's for people who understand culture and who are opened to originality ! GO THERE if you're a couple in love, you will love it !

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mathilde T
sussex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

The rooms are not small... i would say "like a LARGE CUPBOARD". They should not be allowed to get away with it. If you were paying 30 or 40 euros maybe, but not the extortionate amount they charge. To give you an idea the width of the room is 6ft wide, you cannot get out of bed without climbing over your partner. DISGRACEFUL. They just push the river view, but you cannot sit and enjoy it as the only thing in the room is the bed, due to the size. Yes that is correct, there are no bedside tables, nor anywhere to put your clothes or for that matter anything. Only one person can stand in the room at any one time!!!! and no privacy in the bathroom because there is a sheet of glass separating the bathroom from the bedroom, fine if you want to see your patner on the loo!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SussexCorkie
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

Stayed there 2 nights and had a great time the location and the view just amazing , the charm of the building makes up for the small room we had a bottom room with river view so we sat on the ledge of the terrace and had porto and enjoyed the great view.breakfast was great and George is a great host.definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porto
Ribeira Apartments
Descobertas Boutique Hotel
Porto de Rio
Porto de Rio
#38 of 207 in Porto

Been to Homey? Share your experiences!