“BEAUTIFUL SOUVENIR”

Ranked #55 of 149 Porto B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“BEAUTIFUL SOUVENIR”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

I really want to insist ! I discovered Homey first by Tripadvisor's commentaries and this very stupid one called "don't go there" ! Then, to be sure to find the right place, I waited to be on the spot, in Porto, to visit the place and the room and decide or not to spend the night there. I had a very specific idea : find a GREAT PLACE for my husband's birthday, a room with the view on the Douro. It was very important for me, and for us. Finally, I arrived with my luggage at Homey's. The welcome was perfect, the place so adorable and original that I say YES directly. No surprise : I knew the room was tiny (yes, very tiny !!!) BUT the house IS tiny ! It's a beautiful original house on the border of the Douro... Do you know there's ONLY 3 guesthouses/hotels on the front ? How can you say the room is a ridiculous when you see the place ? If you want a big room, you choose a palace, or something in the center ! Well, let me tell you that our NIGHT was memorable ! We are big travelers, we like original and nice places, Homey is perfect, clean, the bed was BIG and CONFORTABLE, the view magnificent, the breakfast super. The price ? Come on, you have a view on the Douro (a balcony), does'nt it diserve such a price ? THANK YOU Janet, It's a BEAUTIFUL SOUVENIR for us, I think it's for people who understand culture and who are opened to originality ! GO THERE if you're a couple in love, you will love it !

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mathilde T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
sussex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

The rooms are not small... i would say "like a LARGE CUPBOARD". They should not be allowed to get away with it. If you were paying 30 or 40 euros maybe, but not the extortionate amount they charge. To give you an idea the width of the room is 6ft wide, you cannot get out of bed without climbing over your partner. DISGRACEFUL. They just push the river view, but you cannot sit and enjoy it as the only thing in the room is the bed, due to the size. Yes that is correct, there are no bedside tables, nor anywhere to put your clothes or for that matter anything. Only one person can stand in the room at any one time!!!! and no privacy in the bathroom because there is a sheet of glass separating the bathroom from the bedroom, fine if you want to see your patner on the loo!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SussexCorkie
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

Stayed there 2 nights and had a great time the location and the view just amazing , the charm of the building makes up for the small room we had a bottom room with river view so we sat on the ledge of the terrace and had porto and enjoyed the great view.breakfast was great and George is a great host.definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Good location and very helpful people. Quirky rooms but in a good way!

• Stayed September 2011
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

The Homey has one of the best locations in Porto, right in the the heart of the Ribeira and seconds from the River Douro and numerous romantic waterfront restaurants as well as a short stroll across the bridge to all the port wineries, where you can take reasonably priced tours - this is definitely where you want to be. Yes, it can be noisy as it's in the centre of the action - but that's part of its charm and we enjoyed the chatter from local residents and beautiful fado and guitar music wafting up from nearby restaurants. Even the racket made by the morning seagulls was a joy!

The Homey's small and character-filled with perhaps six rooms, but feels like a small designer hotel rather than a guest house or B&B. The welcome is very friendly and we were immediately offered juice and cake on arrival (and even on leaving, several hours after checking out, as we'd left our luggage there for the day while exploring). And the breakfast is lovely too, with fruits, yoghurts, croissants, cake, cheese, ham and freshly made scrambled eggs.

The rooms are just gorgeous, with lots of carefully thought-out small touches. However, we did ask for a change of room as the first we were offered - despite being chic and with a fab river view - was truly tiny and one person would have had to climb over the other to get out of bed! I believe the upper river view rooms are bigger but we preferred to lose the view and opted for a higher twin room at the front, which had a cobbled street view was larger and more private. We just pushed the beds together and it was just as romantic if not more so.

The price is higher than some small places but unless you want spacious or palatial accommodation the unbeatable location, oozing stylishness and welcome make it worth every penny. Go there!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Wavre, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

Stayed for 5 nights at Homey to visit Porto. We had room 5 (top floor, view over river, bunk bed), and the view is fantastic ! Of course, it's a very old and historic house, quite narrow and high, so the rooms are small but if you want charm, a very warm welcome, a fantastic view and all that at a very reasonable price (compared to the other two hotel-guest house on the Ribeira), you must go to Homey. Sandra greeted us when we arrived and I've never had such a warm welcome even in 5 star hotels, showed us our room, the breakfast room, the kitchen saying we could serve ourselves at any hour. She brought us a tray with tea, cakes and biscuits and everytime we arrived or left the hotel, at breakfast, everybody was so nice ! Our room was on the top floor with a double bunk bed, we aren't very young anymore but we managed perfectly well so I think, it shoudn't be a problem. No wardrobe but a very good coatrack and if you bring hangers, it's all right. Everything you want for breakfast : cake, toast, cereals, fruit, yoghurt, eggs... Try restaurant next door, Ora viva, very good !

Room Tip: Ask for room 3 or 5 with a view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

I am sorry to say this is one of the most disappointing and expensive mistakes I have made when booking accommodation. The room was so small that you have to climb across the double bed to get to the other side. There is no wardrobe - there's simply no room for one - no space in fact to put anything. There were other problems: the shower leaked into the bedroom area. The control unit of the shower heated up and I got burnt quite badly when I accidentally leaned on it to reach up for the shower head.

I feel annoyed with booking.com for not giving an accurate description of the rooms. Had I known how small they were, I would not have booked. If I was paying 20 Euros per night, I think this would be acceptable, but this accommodation isn't cheap.

On the positive side, it is a lovely area to be in, right on the riverside, with all the fun and life that goes hand in hand with this great area. But it didn't make up for the teeny, weeny room.

Room Tip: The river view is a little noisy - but lovely.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trudytravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porto
Apartamentos Sobre O Douro
Descobertas Boutique Hotel
Porto de Rio
Porto de Rio
#41 of 213 in Porto

Been to Homey? Share your experiences!