“Dream meal”

Ranked #21 of 1,743 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: Portuguese, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to a quite, rustic 19th century house, just in front of river Douro, where Portuguese wine and food are the perfect excuse to forget the world and to enjoy the moment. An open kitchen where we love what we do to whom we do. A wide variety of Portuguese wines (15 by the glass) from which you can choose. Far from confusion, protected yet exposed, we look to pay an Ode to those who visit us - our guests. Relax. Fell at home.
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Sitting in such a lovely setting the words of the poet W. B. Yeats sprung to mind -

'Had I the heaven's embroidered clothes,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark clothes
Of night and light and the half- light,
I would spread the clothes under your feet.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams.
I have spread my dreams under your feet.
Tread softly for you tread on my dreams.'

Why? Probably because the staff in Ode give you their dream of food - in terms of sourcing, selection, preparation and presentation - and time to savour the experience. For my wife and I, it was a real treat which we truly enjoyed and yes, the lamb curry is magic! A wonderful way to end a lovely day in a beautiful city.

There are newer reviews for Ode Porto Wine House

Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

If you only have one night in Porto, go here. One of the best restaurants I've visited. The staff, the food, the ambience. Everything was perfect, and the prices are the same as many other restaurants in the area.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Thanks to a golden tip of the concierge in our hotel, we managed to reserve a table for two on the evening of Sao Joao (!) in Ode Porto Wine House, a small but very cosy restaurant at the Douro river. Thanks to a very friendly welcome in fluent english by the owner we immediately felt at home and we felt even better when we got a table at one of the two small windows on the first floor ... Spectacular view on the festivities guaranteed ! Because it was a special day, the owners had prepared a special menu.
After the appetizers we got 2 starters : a delicious 'caldo verde' followed by 'sardines in a vinegar sauce'. The main course was a fantastic 'grilled lamb filet with potatoes in the oven and turnip leafs'. As dessert we got 'Sao Joao cake' with a crème brulee. For each course we had another wine and the selection of these wines was simply perfect.
The service was amazing, the staff super friendly, the price unbelievable (low).
12 points from the Belgian jury !
But the best still had to come ... All guests were invited by the owners to watch the fireworks at midnight from the top of another building nearby !!! An unforgettable experience : amazing food, excellent wines and fireworks ! Portuguese hospitality at its very best ... Many many thanks.

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Undeniably one of the best restaurant experiences we have ever had. Perfect for honeymooners and romantic couples. Amazing food and great wine. Definitely worth a try...

1  Thank Malek S
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This was a special birthday meal at the end of our holiday, and it couldn't have been better! Lovely staff, and food cooked with real passion. It is a short menu but none the worse for that: it means that everything is beautifully fresh. The owner, or I should say "host" is charming and clearly has a genuine desire for his customers to enjoy the experience of eating at ODE.
We had the Goan curry - superb, followed by the Chocolate desert : utterly Devine!

We'll worth booking - and if you can, try booking the special "lovers" table upstairs!

A great experience at the end of a very enjoyable holiday in a lovely city.