“Porto dining experience”

Ode Porto Wine House
Ranked #13 of 1,655 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European, Portuguese, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Welcome to a quite, rustic 19th century house, just in front of river Douro, where Portuguese wine and food are the perfect excuse to forget the world and to enjoy the moment. An open kitchen where we love what we do to whom we do. A wide variety of Portuguese wines (15 by the glass) from which you can choose. Far from confusion, protected yet exposed, we look to pay an Ode to those who visit us - our guests. Relax. Fell at home.
“Porto dining experience”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Tired from international travel and hot from historic temperature highs, Ode was exactly what we needed to welcome us to the ambience and flavor of Portugal. The owner exhibits amazing passion for his culinary craft and is eager to educate you. He makes you feel like a guest in his home, not a foreigner in a foreign restaurant. The appetizer, starter course, and entrees all exceeded my expectations. We had excellent wine recommendations to compliment our dinner selections. The dessert was my favorite part of the meal and the owner was able to guess my selection without me saying it. Don't go to Ode without trying the chocolate volcano. You will be mesmerized. Come to Ode for a unique experience and leave knowing more about the finer things Portugal has to offer.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Kmindigo83

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, Canada
“It lived up to our expectations!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure to dine in this lovely restaurant on our recent trip to Portugal.
We had made a reservation for June 20th, prior to leaving Canada.
I received a phone call from Cristovao the owner, at 3:30 pm that afternoon explaining they were experiencing an electrical issue at the restaurant and could not open for dinner that evening.
This was a huge disappointment because of all the rave reviews ODE had received on TA.
Cristovao could not have been more apologetic, knowing that we were coming here almost directly from the the airport. He asked if we could re-book for the next night, which we did.
The whole evening was quite an experience. We started at the communal table where we met his lone server (who is a dead ringer for Mila Kunis). She started our evening off by pointing to a map, showing which regions of Portugal the food and wine we were going to consume came from.
After a pleasant 45 minutes or so of conversation with the 2 other groups at the table, not to mention some amazing apps, we were led upstairs to a quaint little room containing only 5 or 6 tables.
Dinner and dessert exceeded our expectations, along with great comradery with Cristovao and his staff. Also, the comments on the Chocolate Volcano are spot on. It has to be one of best desserts we have ever had.
I will wrap up this review with one sentence...

"When in Porto, a visit to Ode Port Wine House should be on every foodies can't miss list"

(Note: for those of you trying to see the exterior of the building on Google Maps, it still shows it proir to the extensive renovations that were done...it is the building with the brown doors, in front of the white van)

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Rick R
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Relaxed all-round experience”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We went to ODE after reading the TA reviews and looking for a romantic and good place to dine. The restaurant opens at 7pm and you need to knock to gain admittance. Personally I thought this was a really fun way to start the meal and the experience, which it is. Everything served is portugise, and much comes from the owner's own farm and vineyard. If you are curius and looking for an educational experience in a great atmospheare you should definitely visit Ode, but if you are in a hurry and don't care about the story and geography of the food you are eating, Ode is not for you. You are made to feel welcome and encouraged to give continuous feedback both good and bad, which was really nice.
I wont say the food is the best I've ever tried, but it was very nice (the best we've had in Portugal), and the owner's own Ruby port was definitely the best Ruby port I've yet to enjoy!

• Visited July 2013
Киев, Украина
“Just perfect!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I loved sophisticate food& wine. Chocolate cake is something to die for:-) It is expensive but worth every penny spent.

Visited June 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Top Quality Food”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This restaurant ticks all the right boxes. Came here with my husband and young children. The staff were so welcoming and helpful in ordering the dishes we need and understanding about the dietary restrictions we have. The food was delicious and so fesh and the wine my husband and I had was to die for. Excellent all round.

• Visited March 2013