“Great italian restaurant in downtown Oporto”
Review of La Ricotta

La Ricotta
Ranked #61 of 1,760 Restaurants in Porto
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Nice italian restaurant with very nice atmosphere.
Very good wine list, mainly Portugish wines as well as spirits, do not miss the Gintonic preparation.
As soon as you sit They will serve you a selection of Portugish olive oils, then I will suggest pizzas or pasta, many different choices with a Portugish touch.
Desserts are so good.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We chanced upon this restaurant when strolling around Porto during a three day visit over Easter, it looked and decided to take a chance on it for dinner that evening. It was a discovery - the food was superb and reasonably priced, our waiter explained the menu to us and the cooking was exactly as we expected. We were leaving Porto two days later and booked it for lunch - to be our principal meal that day - before departure by train to Lagos. This time we selected the tourist menu, which was selected from the Carte and was presented to the same high standard (my rare veal was memorable), the cost, with a glass of wine, was an amazing €15 each. La Ricotta is a restaurant that takes itself seriously, combining Portuguese and Italian traditions.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

During a 4 night weekend break to Porto in May, my wife and I visited La Ricotta twice during our stay and on both occasions for dinner. The restaurant is conveniently located close to the Teatro hotel where we were staying and has an upmarket look and feel to the place. On our first visit we both had starters followed pizzas which were very good indeed and nicely washed down with a bottle of mid range wine. The service was very good but as the evening worn on the one waiter (who was excellent) became stretched as the restaurant filled up but was sadly left to manage on his own. He took time to talk us through the excellent olive oils that there served with the bread and spent time explaining the grapes that were in the wine and where it was from in the Douro. With coffee and a mid range port the bill came to 104EUR so not a cheap place. On our second visit we just had a main course (the tiger pasta for me and the mushroom ravioli for my wife) both were again very good as was the service.

On both occasions the waiters were very good but I would firstly encourage the restaurant manager to firstly employ some more waiters and secondly get be willing to roll his sleeves up and help but this seemed below him !! For a nice meal in nice surroundings the La Ricotta was good.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

This restaurant was near our hotel and the menu outside seemed ok. We went for dinner, it was very busy but they found us a table upstairs. The menu is very big. We saw some pizzas waiting on the counter and they looked under cooked, so we decided to avoid these. Minestrone soup was watery and the pasta in it was very over-cooked and mushy. Mozzerella/tomato salad was good. Starters arrived quickly but we then had a very long wait for our main courses - 30 mins +. My raviolli was very al-dente (I mean not cooked!) and the steak was very rare - despite asking for medium. By now we had been waiting such a long time, couldn't be bothered to complain. It was very hot upstairs and I just wanted to leave. We left most of the food - the waiter did not query this. The whole meal was undercooked or overcooked - more care needed in the kitchen. Too many covers - I don't think the kitchen can cope when it is busy. Bill came to E78 before tip. This was the most expensive meal and the worst we had in Porto during our stay. Maybe if you had the set lunch menu, you would think it good value, but not at this price in the evening.

1  Thank gardenweed99
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Our hotel recommended La Ricotta. We had a delicious lunch and very good Portuguese wine. I had a wonderful Minestrone soup and the best tasting bruschetta !! My husband had a delicious Stromboli and my sister had freshly made ravioli . All meals were very good. Our server Andre made our lunch very enjoyable and was very helpful with his wine recommendations.It was a little pricey for lunch but the food was freshly prepared and the atmosphere was lovely.